5

HER PREY

What's the deal with this Lowen chick, I wondered, typing up this letter for a mother trying to get back to her family of four in New Jersey, that she had written out to the firm. Man, I know if I keep thinking about Lowen, I'll end up writing her name all over this document and when I press Print, Andrew and Brian are gonna be real confused back there in the office when they go to collect my work from the printer and don't see what they expected.

My phone buzzed, and it was my mom asking me how work was going. Asking me how...work was going? Maybe she did care a little bit, or maybe she just cared if I made money for her and her new family.

work was going? Maybe she did care a little bit, or maybe she just cared if I made money for her and her new family

I sighed, putting my phone down and going back to work. Who does that? Especially on the first day. I mean, after all the prepping and preparing I could do in my limited amount of time, I missed something crucial in my preparation for the day: my damn lunch. And I sure didn't have any money to spare on any food nearby. Everything was real expensive; downtown was way too pricey for me.

"Everything goin' well?" Brian asked me, walking by and getting something from Lowen's side. A bunch of paper clips, it appeared to be.

"Yeah," I assured him, trying to push out a chippy expression for him. He was my employer, he didn't need to know about my personal struggles.

"You sure?" he asked, tapping his extra short nails against his lips. "You look like you need some cheerin' up."

"Nahh, I'm good," I dismissed his statement.

"Lowen will be back tomorrow," he added, continuing across the office and sending me a playful wink. Despite everything, I found myself blushing. I don't know why the idea of Lowen being back here would even make me feel good anyways...it seemed like she was real lukewarm with me, especially when she wasn't in front of Andrew and Brian.

Still...she could make a nice friend, maybe?

I'm out of my element. I can't focus and I feel like at this point, under these conditions, I won't ever be in my element unless I'm totally alone; locked in a closest somewhere, typing this letter up.

I've been out of my element for so long. I just want to make something beautiful out of my life- turn this plain, bland rock of a life into a beautiful diamond. To show the world that I'm worth something, and to show myself that same thing, because everybody needs to be reminded of that from time to time.

I want to turn the laptop off. And to press delete on everything. This job, my mom, my situations...my problems. I can't let Lowen distract me, and I can't let silly kid shit distract me either. I'll be an adult soon, and I'll be left to figure this all out.

Growing up shouldn't feel like this...I shouldn't feel like this.

I finished up the letter and set the document up to be printed. After I handled everything with that, I went about my day, a bit more focused and determined, and promising myself that I wouldn't worry about my new coworker.