10

HER PREY

I dropped Dyl off and went back to my apartment after I had my mom's ice cream. After the beast's needs we're satisfied, she slunked back off to her lair and I went back to my bedroom. I was about to chill and relax when I got a string of text messages, all of a sudden.

 I was about to chill and relax when I got a string of text messages, all of a sudden

I'll admit: I had been blowing Channin and Naryna off for some time now. It really started towards the end of the school year. I was...self harming more and I was self isolating myself and it felt like I was more of an acquaintance amongst my friend group or just an associate rather than a friend and I-

I felt alone.

And I felt like nobody really cared to check in on me. I bundled up all my emotions and carried them away with me into summer time. And my texting between my two closest friends slowly faded until we got to this point.

Today I'm going to make an effort. Today I'm going to revive a dead me. After all, I'm better now and I have a job and my parents are pleased with me. Life is currently going great. And I'm writing in my notebook, well, thinking of ideas to write and laying down in my bed.

Life is great.

"Casei!"

My stomach always drops a little bit when she calls out my name.

Will I even get to hang out with Channin and Naryna?

Fuck, was Naryna's message even genuine?

"Yes ma'am?" I stuck my head out into the hall.

"Come here right quick," she called out. I shuffled down the hall in some slides i sometimes wore around the house.

"What's this?" my mom was standing in the doorway of the bathroom, the trash can in her grasp. I slowly stepped forward, peering inside. The plastic grocery bag we had stuffed inside had torn and a small collection of pregnancy tests were at the bottom of the old, plastic bin.

They were a wide variety: some pink, some black and white, some green and grey. All of them said a variety of answers. All of them stunk. And none of them could be mine.

"Why are you askin' me?" You're the pregnant one.

"Don't get smart with me, Casei. I know you like to act all fast. Probably run all up and down these streets all night if you could," she snapped. She dropped the bin, letting it clatter to the bathroom floor and spill out, not caring. She stepped quickly towards me and grabbed my elbow, leading me to my parent's bedroom.

"Cole! Cole!" my mom hollered out, like she had just won the lottery. "Guess what your daughter got caught for?"

"Why's she my daughter all of a sudden," my dad grumbled as she yanked me through the bedroom doorway.