HER PREY

July, July, July. The last full month of glorious summer in Texas, because the school districts here start to go in session from early August to late August; taking countless adolescents and under off the streets and out of the public from roughly 7 am to roughly 4pm; about seven to ten class periods in total, slightly different if the school has block days.

The clock is ticking.

Everyday since my employment disappeared without another word, I've practically been up under Lowen non-stop. If I'm not at her place then she's at mine, and my parent's love her. They eat her right up. And her mom has came back around to me again, even though she seems to have a distrust for anybody involved with Lowen, now.

Lowen expects me to hop up and take her seriously any day now, and she's really been pushing for before the school year starts. She shows her love in small ways, the way I catch her studying me with wonder, like it truly would be a rare thing for someone to fall for her.

I could gush and go on about her right now. The level of intellect she possesses, the complexity of her brain, she is more than a stereotype, more than what is at face value. She could be my Lowen, and me, her Casei. And still I manage to wake up in her arms and still have hesitations.

That's only human of me.

With her parent's in the process of divorcing and my friends cutting ties with me for good, it seems, we've been leaning on one another much more; truly taking in our time with ourselves and together with a new insight.

Lowen rolled over, snuggling up against my back and sighing against my neck. I could already tell by her soft sigh that she was still asleep. Nowadays when she sighed, it was very tired sounding, unless I had made her smile.

I'm trying to do more of that. Keep her smiling.

I pulled her arms from behind me and wrapped them around my waist as I stared ahead at her jewelry box across from me on the desk. I need to ask her what she ever did with my book too. I've been itching for that good read, but I did tell her to return it when she was done with it, no matter how sarcastically it was put.

A subtle shift in the air. An awareness of my senses.

"Good mornin'," I told her quietly, turning in her arms. A little smile played on her morning-chapped lips. "How do you always know when I'm awake?" she asked, still blinking away her sleepiness as she focused on my face. I laid my hand across my shoulder, "I just do. I always wake up first. I'm eager for you to be up too." I scrunched up my nose, "Ew, mornin' breath," I joked. She laughed quietly, her eyelids fluttering back closed.

I had thought she went to sleep again until she spoke: "Have you made your decision, Casei?"

"My...decision?" I tried playing at dumb.

"Are we for serious," she opened her eyes back, "Or am I just a summer fling, Casei?" She sat up suddenly, "I don't wanna waste my time with you if you aren't as serious as me."

"I love too fast. More than anything," I admitted.

She pulled me by the neck towards her, taking claim of what she wanted as her's. She turned her head to the side, our lips moving against one another. I sighed, climbing on top of her and continuing to kiss.

"I'm here for you. Your friends are gone. They're in their own lane. Your parents are...themselves. You only got me. You only need me, Casei," she reminded me.

I kissed her on the nose, moving off of her.

"I only need myself. But I can also need you too, a little," I corrected.