20

HER PREDATOR

Back in the house, I expected Sioyana to bother me. Surprisingly, she stayed away from me most of the night.

Me and Casei were chilling upstairs in Naryna's room, getting tipsy while Naryna held her kickback together downstairs. Channin was pouring the shots and watching out for anybody trying to come up here and we were having a great time playing cards.

"What's the tea with you and Chocolate?" Casei asked me, laying down a green plus two.

"See, tryna distract me, but guess what," I laid down a red plus two. She grumbled, drawing four. "You thought you got me, but you didn't," I grinned.

"No...but answer the question though," Casei said, staring at me.

"I already told you that's Dylandra's bestie," I shrugged.

"But she got sumin personal against you, the way she been muggin' you all night, girl," Channin added in, as she sat in the doorway, back to us, watching the hallway.

"I don't know what. Me and Chocolate were cool the entirety of me and Dylandra's relationship. Maybe she just ridin' for her home girl or whatever," I shrugged.

"Why'd you and Dylandra break up?" Channin asked.

"I was cheatin'," I shrugged.

Casei frowned. "Were you sneakin' and seein' Chocolate or something, too?"

"No, no," I laughed, shaking my head. "I'd never dip in those waters. Don't get me wrong, she's fine as fuck. Dark skin, hazel eyes, pretty teeth, nice body, fiery attitude, real down to earth, too. It's just...ion feel no type of way towards her and never will," I shrugged, "And she Dylandra's friend- so no way."

"Hmph. The way you described her, you seem to have a lot to appreciate," Casei commented.

Channin glanced back at us, eyebrows raised, "Oof."

"Nahh, it's not like that," I stated.

Casei put her cards face down, reaching towards me. I watched her hands grab out, not entirely sure what she was doing. "What?" I asked.

She touched my necklace, pulling my claw up from underneath my top. "I kept seeing a string or something peek out and I wanted to know what it was around your neck," she said. She got on her knees, inches away from me.

"Hey now; don't be fuckin' on Naryna's bed," Channin stated, glancing back.

"What is this claw for? Isn't this like a finger nail or sumin'. Like, for a, cat. I think a cat, right?" she asked, studying it.

I carefully took it out of her grasp, tucking it back underneath my clothes. "Yeah, it's um, from a cat."

"A dead pet?" she asked, her eyes softening.

A small smile worked its way onto my face unintentionally, "Something like that."

"Parent alert: Hide the shit under Naryna's bed," Channin whispered quickly.

Me and Casei got up and put the booze away, sitting back on the bed and trying to maintain the most sober expressions on our faces as we got back into our card game for the moment.

Naryna's parents said their hey's, then headed off down the hall past Naryna's room.

"Hey, you guys chill for a moment. I can't look out right now 'cause I'm finna go piss," Channin announced. "I'll get some food from downstairs too," she added.

"Tell Naryna to come up," Casei told her friend.

She turned back to me, the same question in her eyes that I had seen a glimmer of here and there throughout the night.