23

HER PREDATOR

"We need to talk about everything that went down at the party."

"Lowen doesn't need to do anything," I stated, keeping my voice low as I sat at the table and ate my breakfast. I was trying to get out the house on time before my mom woke up, before my dad comes home, and before the time Casei and her fam were going to leave for their little get together.

Yeah, that's a lot.

"Stop bein' so thickheaded and fuckin' listen," Dylandra snapped.

"No, you listen: I almost didn't answer your call today. When you and Casei were standin' there, you were speechless. You had so many chances to tell me that y'all two were fuckin' around but you didn't. I don't care anymore and I truly wish you the best, Dyl. I get it, I deserved to be lied to after I cheated on you, but-

"I just wanna talk about everything. That party shouldn't have left off on the foot that it did."

"But it did. I'm done with you. No more, Dyl. That's that." I hung up and blocked Dylandra, finishing up my cereal bowl, and getting out the house.

I drove to Casei's, pushing 90 as I tried to get there on time. I was flying down the streets, feeling like it was driving me more than I was driving it. That's how it felt to drive through a lot of greater Houston, for sure. I was so caught up on reminiscing that I almost missed my turn for Casei's street.

I text her that I was pulling up and parked.

I got out and guess who walked outside from her apartment? Dylandra.

"Lowen," she called out.

"Oh, so y'all still talkin'," Casei laughed into her hands. I nudged her, "You're so fuckin' messy." We both stood there as Dylandra came up to us. Casei's parents were still upstairs in the apartment getting something, (according to Casei, probably head), so we were stuck standing outside in the summer heat next to their Town and Country.

"I know y'all two feel like you passed me around but you didn't," was the first thing that flew out of this little girl's mouth.

"Tell your best friend to stop speakin' on me, Dyl," I warned her. "I don't got no problems with either of y'all."

"Who said you was passed around...other than yourself?" Casei demanded.

Dyl crossed her arms, "Y'all over here laughin' and shit when I walk up."

"People tend to do that when somebody else looks stupid," Casei stated.

Dyl flinched. "When did shit turn sour between me and you, Casei? You was just tryna ask a nigga out, blushin' and shit when you saw this ass." Dyl stuck up her middle finger, "I hate bitches who switch up."

We both watched her walk away, loudly catcalling just to get on her nerves until she slammed her apartment door.

"See, I told you me and her was done," Casei punched my arm. "And, I'm sorry about before."

"Look, yeen gotta keep apologizin'," I shook my head, "I get it. That ass can hypnotize anybody. And it got the best of both of us."

"Lowen," Casei's mother called out, going over to the passenger side as Casei started to get into the backseat. "I hope you're a church girl because you're gonna need the Bible after this one," she laughed.

"Damn it!" one of Casei's uncles that I had already forgotten the name of slammed his dominoes down on the small folding table, his cigar almost falling out his dentured mouth. I felt like I could see the pink crevices of his denture cream along the perimeter of his glossy teeth, but I cringed, looking away.