29

HER PREY

"I saw that Lowen dropped you off again, Casei."

"She picked me up from work. I had no other ride back," I told my mom as I closed the door behind myself and locked it.

"You look like a hood rat," she started in on me, "I text you for an hour straight...maybe I was going to bring you some lunch, daughter."

"Mom, something happened down at the job like I told you-

"Like you what?"

"Like I had text...and Brian let us go home early," I finished.

My mother sat on the couch, staring at me, both arms resting on either side of her as she relaxed her feet. "You didn't leave the house wearing that. Where have you been with that girl?"

"I had to handle some business down at the park."

"So, you've been fighting," she clarified. "Another fight for the Johnston daughter," she said sarcastically, throwing up her hands.

"The neighbors already hear you and dad. I'm sure there's not a rumor that's not circlin' this family," I tried to go to the back to my room.

"Since you're here, you might as well help me with the baby shower invitations."

"You haven't even been pregnant for six months," I grumbled, "What for? You're havin' the party this early?"

"Have more excitement about your sibling, Casei, we might actually do things right this time around," she frowned. "And I want to prepare early. It's what your father wants."

"That comment was so backhanded," I laughed, still walking.

I noticed that my father wasn't home, so I was more at ease. I put my things down and got into bed.

A few moments later and my mom was in my doorway.

"You need to be more involved. This is your kin, Casei."

"As long as that man lives here that child isn't safe and you know it," I snapped.

Me and my mother stared at each other.

It wasn't like the day we had that understanding that she...didn't want me to turn out like her. It was more than that, this time.

"He's its father, and he's actually trying this time, Casei. He has a job and he has big plans-

"And he talks a big talk like everyone else in our family but he'll never do anything that he says. He's only prophesied his future, never made anything of himself. I wanna do something with my life and I will."

My mother shook her head. "You'll love this child when it comes. Your father's no liar, either."

"Not if it's taking my place. Not if it'll get the things that I wish that I had," I told her. "Not if it'll get the things I wish I didn't have."

"You are selfish, Casei," she sighed. "I need this kid. For my happiness. For my health. For my marriage."

"No, I'm self aware. You don't need another kid," I stated.

"Go to hell," her eyes teared up. I watched her shuffle away, getting up from my bed and closing the door.

Now Lowen was mad at me and my mother was too.

I slumped on my bed, sighing out.

My eyes drifted over to my bookshelf, so untouched that the pages probably had spider webs in between them. I got up and slid one of my favorite books off the row. I wiped it off with the end of my shirt, opening it up to the first page.