HER PREDATOR

Of course, I was wrong.

"So, where she at?" Arah asked, sitting on Maeve's lap as I ate my pizza in the food court besides them.

"Apparently she's comin' back to town because she's 'tired of my mouth'," Maeve flexed her fingers, "I guess she think she finna whoop some ass."

The night had been going fine before all of this. We had played plenty of games, did some laser tag, ate a bit of food. All up until Maeve got this text from someone I'm more than familiar with.

Dylandra's best friend, Chocolate.

One reason Arah won't be my best friend and I'd never tell her some deep shit about me is displayed right here in this situation. One, Arah used to be cool with Chocolate when I was dating Dylandra because we'd all hang out together 24/7. Two, Arah and Chocolate used to be on some other shit. Like, I'd occasionally catch them bitches kissing, man.

I guess she thinks it's fine to bad mouth Dyl'a best friend in front of me since me and Dyl on shaky terms right now...but honestly, I know Chocolate pretty well. Whatever drama exists right now, it's likely because of the other party.

Of course, I'd never say that in front of Maeve and Arah. I want to stay out of this.

"So when she comin' back to Quercitron? Why'd she even leave?" Arah asked.

"She left 'cause her people moved and stuff. New job opportunities or something," I supplied neutrally.

"You know the bitch?" Maeve's gaze fell on me.

Willow, Maeve's best friend, looked at me too, both of them waiting on my answer.

"She was best friends with my ex," I explained after a beat.

"Shit. I forgot you and Dylandra used to talk...y'all still talk?" Maeve asked, brushing back some stray hairs that had fell out of her claw clip updo for laser tag.

I'll be damned if I tell Maeve any of my business.

"We just chillin'-

"They goin' through sumin right now," Arah interrupted, "But. back to the bitch: When she comin' to townnn? If you fightin', I'm fightin', Maeve."

"Same here. She know I hold it down," Willow nodded.

Maeve was a mean girl. Through and through, sorry. She'll tell your business and laugh in your face and want to fight if you confront her about it. Honestly, you just can't let the pretty face fool you. She's a little bit taller than Arah, our age, shifty sexuality, thick as fuck, nice brown skin, always with the lashes on, and a real quick mouth.

Willow, her right hand, really ain't that much different. Her and Maeve are two of the same honestly, Willow's just liked a plus sized, Fashion Nova version of her best friend. The only thing I could say for certain that's different between the two is that A) Willow is for sure straight, B) she only wear braids, and C) she got braces. See, not monumental differences. They're literally the same exact bitch.

"She didn't specify so I guess I should just watch my back," Maeve shrugged.

"Bro, I'm just hungry," I said while I tore into my personal pizza. "Y'all should just leave that alone."

"You know where Chocolate be at?" Arah turned to me.

I fought the urge to give her a look. She know exactly the places Chocolate would frequent when we all hung out together and they was licking up on each other. What was so different now? What, she don't want Maeve and Maeve #2 to know that she used to fuck with the bitch?

Would I be wrong to call her weird for that?

I shrugged. I was determined to stay out of this shit, regardless. "I don't remember. It's been a minute."

Willow was giving me a look like she didn't quite believe me but I ignored it. She really didn't want any problems with me, because none of these girls know why I had to leave Houston.

And we'll keep it like that.

"I'll find out 'cause," Arah scoffed, rubbing her hand up on Maeve's neck and shit. I guess Maeve was gonna be the new Chocolate then, or something. She trying to butter her up and shit.

"Ay, Arah," I nodded at her, standing up and putting my crust on the plate. "Bathroom?"

Arah climbed off Maeve's lap and took her little slim booty my way. Once we was out of Maeve and Willow's sight, I confronted her. "What's your problem with Chocolate? Because Maeve don't like her, now you don't? I thought y'all was cool...even after things with me and Dylandra went all weird."

Arah shrugged, "I mean, I've known Maeve longer than all of this. Chocolate was just as new as you was. Y'all damn near came to the school around the same time, so..."

"Arah, but what's your problem with her? You just ridin' for Maeve just to ride? You talkin' bout jumpin' in and allat and you guys personally have no issues between the two of you? For what?" I asked.

"Ima stand besides Maeve, like I'd stand besides you if you was in Maeve's position, Lowen. That's how we do shit down here. Ion care if it don't got shit to do with me. That's my friend," she pointed to the left, "and that's my friend," she pointed to the right, "One of them, I've known longer though, so it is what it is."

"I guess," I sighed, glancing back towards the food area where we had been sitting. "I just don't want you in no drama you could stay out of. Why Maeve need other people ridin' for her when the drama she got with Chocolate seems one versus one to me. Now, it's gonna seem like y'all hangin' up on Chocolate, and in turn, people gonna think Maeve can't handle her own shit-

"Who can't handle they own shit?"

I turn around and there goes Maeve with her clone.

"I was just tellin' Arah that she should stay out of this so she don't get herself in some unnecessary drama," I told her shit truthfully.

"If she wanna have my back, let her have my back."

"But there's no need for her to. Chocolate only has an issue with you, right Maeve? Why Arah and Willow need to be involved?" I asked the girl.

"Sound to me like you was fuckin' and suckin' on Chocolate too behind Dylandra back," Willow stated.

"She was not," Arah defended me.

"It was only her classmate, and chill, man. I'm only trying to bring peace to this situation," I held my hands up.

"Ain't no peace. Shit was started and I'm here to end it. All we tryna figure out is where the fuck is Hershey bar?" Maeve scoffed.

"Arah, I'm out," I gave her a side hug. "Y'all have fun," I told the other girls.

"Ight. Love you," Arah mumbled, hugging me back.

"Love you too," I squeezed her, letting go and heading towards the exit. "Tell my neighbor I said 'bye', too," I added sarcastically, referencing to Willow.

Leaving the building, I had a weird feeling about Arah. I think it's weird how because she's known one girl longer she's willing to take one girl's side over the other blindly, instead of just staying neutral, like how I tend to be.

We all Switzerland over here on my side and she wanna be fucking North Korea with Maeve and Willow.

I guess because of the shit I peeped, some part of me felt obligated to hit up Dylandra and let her know some shit.