43

HER PREY

It was almost noon, and I remember staring at my phone like, 'This has to be a prank, Channin'.

It wasn't.

I balled one of my fists up, holding my phone as I read the messages from my best friend that kept pouring in from Channin

Finally, I had to turn my phone off so I could get ready to go over there. I honestly couldn't read anymore. I was utterly disgusted, and I needed to be by my friend's side no matter how many times she's wronged me.

I left my room in a light track suit, a t shirt underneath since this was still Texas heat after all. I passed by the kitchen where my mother was already starting her long process of cooking dinner. She didn't say anything to me as I walked past her. I feel too at ease here...and it's scaring me.

Something is going to happen. She has to have some sort of evil plan for me.

I stopped at the door, grabbing the car keys, and backtracking to the kitchen. Maybe I could right my own wrongs through baby steps. I know my words cut through her bad, and fighting fire with fire never works anyways. Sorrow and a mixture of guilt felt like it was the new consistency of my body, running through my veins, instead of crimson blood.

"Mom...something happened to Naryna. Somethin' real bad. I'm just goin' to check on her, then I'll be right back. I-I don't know if she'll be okay," my voice faltered a bit. I let my guard down, almost to tears thinking about my friend in that predicament.

"Well, she'll get through things just fine, eventually, won't she?" my mother answered tightly, a rag in her hand as she wiped down the counter. "I'm making jambalaya tonight and seasoned peas. Be back before six, Casei,"she said my name like it pained her to do so.

I looked down, only saying my 'Yes ma'am', and leaving.

So this is what it feels like for your own blood to hate you?

I jogged down the steps outside, heading to the family SUV. Maybe if I get a new job she'll feel better about me. I'll do that next, then my parents will be proud and everything will be okay. I need to be perfect so things run smoothly, and when there are mess-ups, I can't be blamed.

I was getting into the driver's side when I saw Dyl approaching the vehicle through my left mirror. I internally sighed, still a little worn out mentally from my whole family ordeal. I closed the door, locking the rest of them, and rolling down my window as the car idled. "Wassup?"

"Casei, I got something to tell you," she started. "I know you're gonna be upset with me, but-

"You're messin' around with Lowen again?" I asked, switching gears as I pressed my foot down lightly on the brake. I checked my rear view mirrors as I started to back out, easing my way backwards. "It doesn't take a genius to see what type of person Lowen is in relationships...or...'whatever-we-have' ships."

"So, you're fine with being the other woman?" Dyl looked at me, standing in the parking space I had been in. "Just like that?" she demanded.

"I'm not the other woman, because she isn't mine to have, Dyl. Have at her. I just, didn't think you wanted to ride that roller coaster again," I chuckled, studying her face. "Maybe you got to ride it last night, judging by your surprised expression, then?"

"That isn't what I have to tell you. I'm sick thinkin' about this," she held her stomach, stepping up towards my car. "Casei, please listen..."

"So that wasn't all?" I sighed, "Look, I've had my share of crying these past few weeks. Could you do me a favor and maybe tell me when I get back home?"

"Are you goin' to her now?" she asked, the few front black strands of hair she had sticking out of her bonnet, flowing in the wind. "Casei, I was just with her last night. And I know how twisted she can be, I dated her before. I can't stay away now," she rambled, talking with her hands genuinely, "And how can you be with someone that's the Houston Hidden? How can you push a murder into the back of your mind like that?"

She stepped closer to my vehicle, almost leaning against it as she stared inside at me. "Oh, but you're not. I can tell," she nodded, "You suspect she ain't who she seems to be. You think something's up; that something's wrong but you also wanna believe everything that she says because she's so perfect and you need her in your life right now to cope-

"Goodbye, Dylandra," I told her quietly, driving away.

She surprised me, jogging after my vehicle, but I pressed the gas until she was a speck in my rearview mirror and I was out of the complex. My phone started ringing and I picked it up, not looking and assuming that it was Channin updating me on Naryna and such. I put the call on speaker phone, sitting it in the empty space underneath the radio up front.

"Casei, Sioyana knows more than you think. If you're going to stay with Lowen at least look into her the way that I know you have to already be doing. Keep yourself safe. I know Lowen's limits and her shortfalls," she told me rapidly.

"Since we're sharin' this fuck nigga, Dyl," I told her slowly, "Your pussy tastes great on her lips. Thanks for the advice, but I don't need Sioyana's help nor your's."

"You're only hurting yourself being loyal to-to pain."

"Who's the one hurtin' here because of Lowen? You or me?" I asked, steadying my wheel as a car cut me off.

"You'll come to realize that it's you, not me."

"It seems like you want it to be the both of us just as much as she does, Dylandra. But I'll believe you," I told her casually.

"I still have something I need to tell you, Casei. I need you to relay-

"I gotta go," I interrupted, glancing over and seeing Channin trying to call. "Just tell me when I get back home, Dyl. Okay?"

She sighed heavily into the phone, "Okay, Casei."