48

HER PREY

Lowen furiously knocked on Willow's bedroom window. Her room was on the first floor, right besides the trash cans lined up outside her house. I stood there awkwardly, trying to figure out how Lowen even knew that this was Willow's room. She was messin' around with Dylandra. Could she have been messin' around with Maeve's dick rider, too?

"Yo, what the fu-

Willow stared at us, her window half open as we stood outside. Lowen shouldered past me and lifted the window up the rest of the way. She forced her way in, knocking Willow over as I unsurely followed behind.

"My parents are here, Lowen, what the hell is this?" Willow demanded.

"Why is my backyard all dup up?" Lowen demanded, not hiding her voice.

"I don't know, Lowen. You tell me. Didn't you do that yourself?" Willow shrugged delicately, pretending to be super focused on her nails. Out of nowhere, Lowen snatched her up, putting her against the dresser, and digging her nails into her skin.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, okay! I just wanted you to come over and I didn't think you'd come over this angry, and-and with her!" her eyes darted my way.

"What about Casei?" Lowen demanded, squeezing harder. She suddenly let go, yanking Willow up as she fell to her knees, by the collar.

"I didn't think you'd bring her, Lowen!" Willow cried out. "Please! My parent's are upstairs! Please!"

"Why'd you want me over here alone?" Lowen asked her quietly, staring into her soul.

"Because," Willow's eyes darted over to me again. She gulped, "Because I wanted you in my room," her voice got quieter, "alone, Lowen."

"This bitch," I laughed, stepping over to the two of them.

"I like you, Lowen! Casei was supposed to fall for Maeve eventually...once Maeve accepted that she even liked the girl, and I was supposed to-to-

Lowen stared at her angrily.

"I was supposed to have you, Lowen." Willow was let go of and she rubbed her neck. "Not many people know this but, I control Maeve. Not the other way around. I have so much dirt against that little girl, but I know no one believes in me. I don't act or look like the head bitch. So I let Maeve run me in circles in public, but I'm the one who means business, not her," she pointed at her chest.

"So, you called the shots for the accident and-

"Those were Maeve's people and her calls for the accident and the robbery. My only personal goal I had hoped to achieve was to...catch the eyes of Lowen," she told us softly.

"I should kill her," Lowen whispered.

"No," Willow said quickly, "You were supposed to be impressed by everything I pulled off, Lowen, especially since you're the Houston Hidden." Lowen waved her hand around like she smelled something bad, "I'm tired of hearin' about that. And I don't want you Willow. You don't evoke any of my hormones, especially not any pheromones. The only emotion you evoke in me is disgust, oxy-

"I want you so fuckin' bad, and you want her," Willow gestured my way.

My jaw set hard, and I wanted to knock the fuck out of this wannabe Buffy the Vampire Slayer bitch.

"Casei," Lowen turned to me, turning my head her way by the cheek, "This is your moment to prove you'll be loyal to me. To display your ultimate loyalty."

"What do you want me to do, Low?" I asked, forgetting that Willow was there, forgetting where we were.

Weeks and weeks pushed away from my friends because they'd rather not talk to me, feeling even further away from my parents but closer somehow; growing apart of Lowen inch by inch.

She leaned in towards my ear, slowing licking her lips. "I want you to kill Willow for me. She knows too much."

I pulled away, my eyes wide. "What if you just disappear on me like Euphemie did for you?" I asked, touching my lips softly like her words had came out of my mouth or something. To kill somebody? Was doing that really me, or was it more Lowen? Well, she never actually did it before...

"I won't. They never promised me that they wouldn't leave. They only told me to trust them. I'm promising you that I won't leave. And I'm also asking you to trust me, simultaneously," she explained.

I blinked, thinking about this.

"What's goin' on?" Willow demanded across the room. "What is this, discussion hour in my bedroom?"

Lowen leaned back towards me, "Remember, she wanted to take you away from me. She wanted you to be with Maeve," she added.

I shook my head, "I can't judge her for havin' feelings for someone. It's only human," I whispered.

"She might be lying about her hand in the accident and the robbery. What if she did want those things to happen to you and your...old friends," Lowen reminded me.

"But, Lowen-

"Do you love me, Casei? Am I not the one who's been by your side all this time?" she asked me gently.

"You have been, but-

She leaned in and kissed me.

Willow scoffed from across the room, telling us to get out.

"I've helped you through your hardships with your parents and even gained a soft spot with them. They haven't been as harsh to you lately because of that, and despite what you might think, your mother truly does want what's best for you. She wants someone to love you. And she knows that I can do that for you. You seen me for what I am and you can appreciate the rough-around-the-edges parts of me."

"I'll do it Casei," I whispered, holding hands with her as we faced one another. "I'll do it for you."

She kissed me on the cheek, snuggling her face into my shoulder as she smiled.

"Get out!" Willow demanded again, running towards us with her fists up and anger all over her face.

I let go of Lowen, bringing my own fists up as Willow charged me, letting myself stand steady.