chapter seventeen

December 26th, 1994

The day after the Yule Ball, Clementine had planned to go home to visit her family. She had never missed a Holiday with them and wasn't planning on starting now, despite most students staying at school during the Holiday.

Although disappointed, Cedric decided to stay at school to prepare himself for the upcoming tournament and to continue studying, so he could save his own life. His parents were disappointed in his letter home but didn't expect anything less from their astonishing boy.

Clementine hugged him that morning, reassuring him that he didn't need to follow her to the train, and wished goodbye to her other friends. It was only two weeks, but from personal experience, a lot can change in just a few minutes.

Everything felt sturdy and peaceful, nothing had felt this nice since the last time she got on the train to go on their break. Last Holiday. it had only been a few weeks into last year's tragedy. Clementine was completely silent the entire ride home, thinking of what she'd tell her parents and what she could do to get Cedric Diggory out of her mind.

Olive was also going home, carrying her bag through the train station. They had never seen the station appear so empty, students wearing their winter coats closer than ever, huddling up to one another with laughter.

"I'm not prepared to see the man I call my brother," Olive had an older brother, which explained why she was so witty and clever from time to time. He was much older and successful in their bloodline, not leaving much room for Olive to shine.

"Come on, Olive. Your brother is not that bad. A little cocky? Yes. Humble? Not quite." Clementine joked, stepping her feet into the train, making sure her bag didn't catch the door. Olive let out a loud snort, following in her footsteps.

"You know, my parents wanted to know if you would be joining us this year," Clementine scanned for an empty seat as Olive spoke, noticing everyone who was there, sat extremely close. "My father said that your parents-"

Out of nowhere, Draco Malfoy stepped out of his cart and right in front of Clementine's face. The sudden pale face right in front of her made her jump, she might have even let out a small scream to follow.

"We need to talk," Draco spoke aggressively, grabbing her wrist assertively. Clementine realized she had not much choice, looking back to Olive as he dragged her away. Olive shrugged her shoulders and told her to find her afterward.

Draco had taken her to a faraway cart, she assumed it was to make sure they weren't heard, and then she thought that maybe he was going to kill her. Before she hatched a plan to defend herself, he shoved them into seats across from each other.

"What the bloody hell did I tell you, Rosier?" His first words were harsh and strong, even causing a little red to form on his cheeks. "I told you to keep off the radar and you go to the Yule Ball with Cedric Diggory? A champion? A half-blood?"

Clementine could've guessed a million things, but never that she would be having this conversation with Draco Malfoy. He was right, but he didn't understand how hard she was trying to keep it all a secret.

"Draco, I have been keeping it all a secret until the Yule Ball. Olive and Blaise-"

"I don't have time for your excuses, Clementine. You've messed up, you've really messed up. You have no idea who is watching you at that school, and if Voldemort hears about this, that one of his pure-bloods is dating a half-blood," He interrupted her, speaking his words out loud as if he were frightened for her.