chapter eighteen

December 26th, 1994

Clementine Rosier rode the train home with not only her best friend in the seat next to her but a million other things to think about.

She knew her feelings were important and terrifying, but she knew a boy was waiting for her that would feel these things more intensely than her. 

Olive comforted her as much as she could but allowing her to sit in silence was more than enough for her friend. She couldn't begin to think of the pain she felt, the tragedy that just struck, and the boy who had no clue.

Clementine practically stood up as soon as the train stopped, giving Olive a soft stir before she joined her.

"I'll see you soon," Clementine spoke gently as she spotted a familiar group of blondes walking towards them. 

Olive turned, gently parting her lips, noticing her family. She turned back to the girl with the red nose, gliding her hand onto her friends.

"Write me when you can, update me when you can." The silence and lack of emotion between them was deafening, it was terrifying, and it felt lonely.

Clementine stood alone in a train station full of people, wondering what the hell she was going to do, and what she was to say. It felt wrong to know the information she did, knowing Cedric had no idea.

Her Mary-Janes carried her through the train station, leading the way as she attempted to begin processing this new pain she felt. Life was sweet like honey, it was nearly smooth and easy, but just within a moment, she felt completely alone again.

Snow was beginning its afternoon fall, making her peers laugh and smile as they hugged their families in the freezing cold. Clementine watched as multiple parents hugged their children closer.

Eventually, her parents made their way closer, yelling out her name, smiling warmly with their large jackets and fuzzy hats.

"There's our girl!" Her father yelled, pulling his smaller framed daughter into his arms. She couldn't help but break into a smile, forgetting her thoughts for a moment.

"Tu nous as manqué, mon ange!" Her mother joined into the hug from behind her, giving both of them a tight squeeze. She didn't realize she had missed the feeling of their arms so much, the feeling of not needing to hide anything from them.

"I missed you both," The feeling of their smiles made her giggle into them. "So much, you have no idea."

Her father pulled away from the girls, raising his eyebrows playfully. "We know what that means, hm?" He joked, wrapping his arm around his daughter.

She thought back to all the times she had came home from school, lucky to have her amazing parents by her side, they always knew exactly what to do.

On the way home from the train station, she thought about how she'd tell them about Cedric, how much she loved him and how she had to break his heart once again.

Through out the questions asked by her parents on what was happening at school, watching as they held hands and smiled, she fought back the sobs begging to come out.

The outside air mirrored her mood, freezing cold. She wanted to go out and say everything, but not blurt it out since she seemed to be forming a habit of that.