Monkey Man

The sun was setting, and the creatures in the water were beginning to glow...
I wander down the path of everyone's cots, getting to the end, where it's dark and quiet.

I sit down dipping my feet into the water, when these little green and pink fish swim round and round my feet. I slowly sway them in the water, thinking of my days' worries.
I'll never live up to be like some of our greatest warriors. I wish I was of more service, but lately every time I offer help, I'm just sent to help the wounded and I know that's helpful, but I'd rather do something bigger than that...

I rub my hands down my face, letting out a deep breath. I slowly relax my arms back down, when I see Spider swimming over.
"Hey you. Are you alright?" He asks, lifting himself up next to me.
"No, but I will be." I shrug
He wraps his arm around me, embracing me in a wet hug.
"Things will get better, you just have to show them your true potential. Show them you're capable of more. I know you are. You know what you're capable of, but what do they know?" He says giving me a little squeeze
"You're right, I can do that. Small steps towards something bigger..."
"Exactly. You are so strong."
I feel Spider drop his arm from around me. He's fidgeting with his fingers.
He turns towards me, but I chose to stay facing the fish due to the butterflies in my stomach right now.
He gently turns my chin towards him, we make direct eye contact. For a moment... we just look at each other.
My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest. Everything in me is trying to seem relaxed, when I'm reality my entire body is tingling with butterflies, just from his touch.. and the look in his eyes.

Slowly he inches closer and closer until his forehead is touching mine. "I love you" he whispers
"I love you too"
Without skipping a beat, his hand grips my neck and he kisses me. It was slow at first, but quickly got very passionate. At this point, I had pulled my feet out of the water and was in his lap. I haven't felt so relaxed or in sync with someone in so long. The butterflies were gone, now there's just fireworks going off...
That is until we were interrupted by someone clearing their throat.
I pull away and see Neteyam. We both stand up, "Hi, sorry I'm just.. gonna go." I say trying to escape this awkward interaction.
"No need to apologize, I was just looking for Spider. Goodnight y/n!"

"What are you doing??" Neteyam asks Spider
"What? I love her and she loves me." He shrugs
"I'm happy for you, have you told her mother or father? You don't even have a body like ours yet.. You can't just kiss her here in the open without considering the consequences." He says
"I know. I'll be better, I'll talk to her parents, it won't be long until I can link with my avatar.. I don't intend on breaking her heart. I am in love with her."
Teyam sighs, "I'm happy for you, don't get me wrong. I just want the best for you both."
"Thank you bro, for always looking out." Spider says
"Of course"
They both go their separate ways with plenty of thoughts left lingering their minds.
Neteyam has also been in love with y/n for sometime, it's basically public knowledge. There's a few young men pining after y/n, but she hasn't giving any of them reassurance about who she really loves.
The only ones she's said "I love you" to has been Spider and Neteyam.
They both know it as well. They're best friends and will be after all is said and done, but right now... it's the fight for the Woman.
Who will it be? Spider, her sweet and silly monkey man or Neteyam the kind, smart, loving warrior.