Chapter 15: The midnight mouse. (part-1)

ENZO

"Alora didn't come?" Max asked, still disappointed in himself because of the punishment that I chose to give Alora.

Carlo shook her head, huffed a little and sat on my right side. "She must have fallen asleep. I knocked a couple of times on her door but no reply came from inside."

We are in the dining room, seated on our chairs as it's dinner time. Alora didn't come downstairs since she had gone to her room. So, Carlo went to call her for dinner.

"She must be tired that's why," Carlo said.

I kept looking at the empty seat on my left where she sat. She keeps jumping and running all the time while eating, that's why to keep an eye on her I have asked her to sit beside me so that she doesn't disturb anyone but yet she does.

"We can't do anything if she is asleep. Let her sleep... if she feels hungry at night, she will eat something from the kitchen." I said to them because they were not eating anything. I didn't even feel like eating at all.

Since we could not eat much at dinner anyway, we sat together in the living room and started talking about that unknown boy who had stopped those seven men from killing us. Did he already know that they were here to kill us? Or did he just help like that?

But why would anyone do that?

If Domenico's men managed to break through our security, would the unknown boy have come inside before them or after them?

But those goons also said that due to heavy rain, nothing was visible properly.

"Hey, guys! what could have happened if Domenico's men had seen Alora." Rome said capturing all our attention at once.

I am still feeling anxious about that thought. What if...?

They all released a sigh of relief thinking that she was safe.

"No matter if Domenico has joined hands with William, he still could have done anything to her. Alora was never a part of the family to William, so he wouldn't have cared at all." I breathed out my anxiousness.

"We shouldn't have let her go outside at that time while it was raining heavily," Galen said looking at me disappointedly.

"Enzo! We know that the rules should apply to all of us here in the mafia but just think about it once. When was the first time we saw her in William's house, all three of us noticed that she wasn't okay there. Since she came here, I have always seen her happy lately... and that means she feels safe around us. We should be proud of ourselves for saving and protecting a girl just like we do for those girls whom Domenico tries to sell." Carlo explained all that in one breath while glaring at me with upset eyes.

"Carlo... maybe you are thinking I am against her or I am trying to torture her, but it's not true. And about those rules-"

"What if those people came to know about Alora? What if something happens-"

"Nothing can ever happen to her. No one can harm her. I have made a mistake once but will not do it again..." I said cutting him off. "...I will always protect her no matter how dangerous the situation is."

Their faces were filled with amusement. By the time I realized what I just admitted in front of them, it was too late to cover up my words.

I cleared my throat and took a glance through them. They were still staring at me with eyes wide open.

"Got it!" Max broke the silence first.

"What about you three?" I asked trying hard to break the awkward silence.