Chapter twenty five

ONE MONTH AND TWO WEEKS LATER.

Everything was back to normal. Our house, my parents business and for sure my boring school. I've seen Jessica around school and Kate. We just said hi... didn't have anything to say to them neither did they. I thought they would though. Worst of all, David was still in school. I was so terrified to even go anywhere close to him. And i didn't wanna get the police involved either. We were currently having one of those annoying classes.

"As you all know, the international day celebration is coming up and-"
Everyone sighed after miss Valerie said.

"So we'll have to pick team mates we know" Frank, one of the students said. Everyone laughed. Miss Valerie didn't seem to like that. She grabbed the long metre rule on the teacher's table and hit the table hard which made everyone halt.

"When I'm speaking, no interruptions!! Nobody speak! Okay?" She looked at us for an answer.

"Okay?" She screamed. Other classes are probably having a hard time hearing what they're being taught.

"Yeah." Most people said. She grew angrier. She walked to the middle of the class and let out a heavy sigh. "This should be the last time I'll ask y'all a question and you reply with "yeah" okay?"
"Y.. yes madam." We responded.

She walked back to the teacher's stand. "Back to the topic. It's gonna be quite different this time. You're not gonna be the ones choosing your partners."

"Ugh! Really? I better not be with a looser." Frank commented.
"Me too and-"

"Both of you detention!" Miss Valerie practically screamed. She was getting frustrated.

They both gasped. "But we don't deserve it ma'am." Frank said.

"Shut up."

"She dosen't even know when detention is used." He said more to himself.

Miss Valerie cleared her throat. "Whoever you're paired with will be your partner."

"Duh!" I didn't know when I said that out. She glared at me immediately.

"Boys! Come this way." She motioned where they'll stand. They sluggishly stood up.

"Girls! This way." We we're standing opposite the guys. And Yes, David has been peering into my eyes since today. I've been trying to act unaffected but I'm really nervous and scared. I mean I even looked at him in the eyes back with courage but deep down, I'm a frightened mess. He's still staring at me now and it's starting to be obvious that I'm uncomfortable.

I calmed down and dragged a chair to sit. I was stopped by Miss. Valerie's look... You know, the eyes. 
"Oh miss president, please seat while we all stand." She gave me the sweetest smile. I sighed and put the chair back in it's place.

"Hazel and Daniel, kalyani and Joseph, Mitchell and Ade..." She kept calling names while I stood there praying she shouldn't pair me up with David.

I began to sing the Yoruba song Kingsley taught me. I chuckled at the thought of him. I still haven't given him a call.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was David. "Are you lost? We've been calling you while you've been smiling into space" I stared at him in terror while he smiled at me innocently.

"Look, if you're going to daydream about that cute boy, not in my class okay? You're partner with David-" I gasped.

I walked towards her. "Ma'am I might not have been on my best behaviour but... Please... Don't... Don't pair me with him." I whispered to her almost shedding tears.

"Your partner is your partner. You can't change it" She yell-whispered.

"But please i-" I flinched as I felt someone touch my shoulder.

"Hey partner. Something wrong?" David asked smirking.

Everything happened so fast that I was already walking myself home. I heard someone yell my name from behind. I spun spontaneously but didn't see the person clearly. I gasped immediately I noticed who it was. David. Oh God help me!

"Hi" He said breathing very hard. Really? That's all he's gonna say? Act like everything is normal?

"Hey" He snapped his fingers in front of my face.

I summoned some courage. "What do you want?" I folded my arms fiercely.

"Uh.. You might hate me-"

"I might? Really?"

He suddenly looked guilty. In a kind of way I haven't seen on him before. I loosened up a little.

"Look, I didn't want to do what I did... I... I was forced." He said.

I laughed hard after hearing that. "You were forced? Come on do you actually expect me to believe that?" I folded my arms. "What do you take me for? A fool? Do you-"

He placed his hands on my shoulders but I moved away immediately. "I know you're angry and you have the right to be. Look, I didn't mean to do it okay? I had no other choice... Please believe me. My... My dad got me into this. I had to do it to save my mum. He used me to get to you okay? I'm deeply sorry, I promise." He was obviously done with his explanation but I didn't know if this was all another way to do something terrible to me.

"You don't expect me to believe you just like that, do you?"

"Lily, I totally understand. But please if you can, try to believe and forgive me. I promise you I'm not lying. Believe me." He looked so honest and down but I needed more proof.

"You need to make me believe you. Tell me more. In details".

He took a deep breath and took out his phone from his pocket. "My dad is a big criminal...though he's not wanted. I don't feel proud saying this but he left my mum and I when I was seven. My mum didn't take it well. She was never happy and always fell ill. But this time, it wasn't a small case. She needed a kidney transplant but we did not have enough money...." He looked up in the sky with his hands on his hips as if trying to hold in his tears." I asked my dad... I didn't lose his contact. But he didn't give me a dime. He then called me that same night and told me about you. He had me transferred to your school and watched me everyday. I know you didn't see my dad at the kidnapping scene that day because he sent his top men. I really didn't mean to hurt anyone and I ensured none of you family members was hurt... " He said with remorse.

" So why didn't you tell me then. If all this is true, why didn't you let me know then?" I snapped.

"Lily-"

"It's Lillian." I said fiercely.

He let out a heavy breath. "I'm sorry...Lilian, you don't know my dad and trust me you don't wanna know him. I mean... He's a nightmare. Do you know how many lives would have been at stake if I told you?"

I folded my arms. "What do you mean?" I needed to act clueless to get every detail from him.

"If he ever found out I told you, or even suspected I told you... He would definitely not hesitate to end your family's life....I mean... You would not even see me standing here. And trust me, he would keep you alive and make you suffer." He pinched his nose bridge with his eyes shut." Look, you should be grateful you got out alive and I know he's still out for your life. So I'm here to help. Please trust. I've been feeling really guilty for supporting him but I didn't have a choice. One thing I'm sure of is he still has you in mind."

I sighed so confused." look, I don't know what to say or think or believe... I really don't... "

He held both my hands."You don't have to forgive me now. I understand that you need space and all. But please try to rethink it... I'm terribly sorry. Please understand..." I withdrew my hand from his slowly.

"I...I have to go". I told him. I left him and walked as fast as possible. I mean, what if this is a whole lie? What if it's another trap for me? But what if he was being honest?... I mean he could have told me...

Thanks for reading guys. Vote and comment below 👇👇