Chapter 1

School was only a few measly days away. Summer was finally drawing to a close.

Brandon and Crys were out shopping with Brandon's parents for last minute school supplies, though they had ditched Brandon's parents and went off to look around at the other, more interesting, shops in the little shopping area.

"I can't believe it's already junior year." Crys said as she and Brandon walked side by side at a contemplative pace.

"I can't believe it's already been a year." Brandon tacked on, just as casual as Crys.

"I hope this year isn't as terrible as last year." Crys said, her tone souring.

"Yeah," Brandon responded, "I really hope we don't have to deal with so much stuff this time around..." He sighed as he recalled a few of the more notable things that had occurred to them both. "Specifically the life threatening stuff. I'd like that to not happen again."

"Or you being taken." Crys said. She still felt quite uneasy about what had happened earlier that summer. She wasn't as horrified by now, given that she had had some time to settle, but she was still somewhat unnerved by the whole experience. It left an itch at the back of her mind that kept telling her that it could all happen again.

"That's not going to happen, Crys." Brandon said calmly, hoping to comfort his friend.

"I know, I know. We've been over it before." Crys murmured.

Brandon rolled his eyes. "More than a few times." He said, trying to be patient.

"Look, I'm just worried, okay? I know you said it's not gonna happen again, but what if it does? What if some new big bad goes after us? After you to get to me? I-I don't want anything bad to happen... or for you to disappear again..." Crys explained herself, letting some of her anxiety creep into her voice.

"I know." Brandon said, understanding. "I'm still here, aren't I? I promise I'm not gonna go without saying goodbye, you know that. I mean, I doubt this year's going to go perfectly. I'm sure those popular jerks are going to give us a hard time, and I mean, I don't think anyone would go after you. It's not like there's any big bad villain-y people around."

"Someone could always pop up." Crys said.

"I doubt it." Brandon replied. "Who else even knows you exist other than the people here?"

Crys took a second to think it over. "Yeah, I suppose that makes sense." She said, sounding a little less anxious. Just working through the vagues, even if just a small bit, helped quell her fear. "Still, I don't want something to happen to you again."

"I'll be fine, Crys. Like I said a million times before, that evil me is gone. He's trapped again and can't get out. I'd know if he disappeared, too, so we could prepare." Brandon said.

"It doesn't have to be him. I just mean in general." Crys replied.

Brandon gave a small grin. He was glad that Crys cared so deeply about him, though her seemingly constant worry as of late annoyed him a bit. "I'll be fine." He said again reassuringly.

Crys took a deep breath. "Alright." She said, just letting her worry go for the time being. She knew she'd just keep circling around and around if she didn't stop herself.

"Still though, junior year." Brandon changed the subject.

"Yeah, I know." Crys replied, a bit more chipper. "So, you think you'll go to the dance with me this year?" She said while nudging Brandon's arm.

Brandon looked at Crys and pulled his arm in closer so she'd quit nudging it. She had a teasing grin plastered on her face. "Bit early to think about that." He said.