Chapter 16

The next day, Crys grumbled as she walked to school with Brandon.

"I don't want to go either." Brandon said in reply to his friends' grumbles.

"I'm not ready to deal with Connor again." Crys said, annoyed.

"I can understand that. But hey, you seem to be feeling a bit better than yesterday, right? Not as wrapped up with the whole, uh-" Brandon caught himself from saying werepocalypse. He didn't want to remind Crys. "Well, you know."

Crys gave a little smile. "Yeah." She said. She appreciated Brandon catching himself. "It's mostly gone." She continued. "I mean, I still feel a bit... uh, bad, but not like yesterday."

"So, maybe not running out in the middle of lunch this time?" Brandon said jokingly.

Crys frowned.

Brandon saw his joke didn't land like he hoped it would. "Sorry." He said. "I didn't mean to be mean."

"I know." Crys replied.

"Sorry." Brandon said again.

"Honestly, it's okay, Brandon." Crys said, giving her friend a faint grin. "I guess we'll just see what happens with Connor today."

"I hope it goes well." Brandon said, matching Crys' quieter tone.

"One of these days I really should just teach him a lesson." Crys said flatly. "Just, knock a tooth out or something. Just teach him and everyone else to leave us alone." She scowled.

"Crys-" Brandon tried to say.

"Yeah yeah, suspension and getting in big trouble. You don't have to explain it to me again. I get it. I'm not going to actually do it, I know how much trouble I'd be in if I did. I just wish I was able to get everyone off our backs... That's all."

"Look, all I'm saying is that they already don't believe Josh being attacked by The Werewolf, and the only reason we even got Cheryl off our backs is because Emma basically threatened to spread rumors about her until her life was ruined, and Connor and the others aren't taking you seriously even though you were very clearly stabbed. I honestly don't think there's anything you could do to convince them." Brandon explained.

Crys pondered for a moment. "Alright, I'll give you that." She said. "But maybe if I gave him a good punch to his smug little face..."

Brandon glanced over at Crys with a concerned look. She looked a little too mischevious for comfort. "You know, maybe we should go do something after school. Maybe go ice skating or something so you can maybe stop thinking about punching Connor."

"I'm not gonna do it!" Crys said back, a tad defensively. "...I kinda do want to go ice skating, though." She added on.

"Well, how about we go after school. Just you and me." Brandon offered.

Crys glanced at Brandon. "Just you and me, huh?" She started to tease.

"Well, yeah." Brandon said, not catching on.

Crys gave a slightly smug smile and nudged Brandon's shoulder. "Just you and me. Maybe you'll even join me on the ice this time, and I can keep you steady as we skate."

Brandon slowly picked up on Crys' teasing tone then blushed. "Crys!" He exclaimed once he realized.

Crys laughed.

"Not funny!" Brandon said, laughing a little as well.

"Your face is so red!" Crys said, still laughing a bit.

Brandon nudged Crys' arm a tad forcefully, though nowhere near hard enough to hurt her.

"Maybe one of these days you'll get me to blush like that." Crys kept teasing.