Chapter 25

Several days later, in the abhorrently early hours of Friday, still in the dead of night, Crys woke up. She rubbed her eyes and sat upright in bed, somehow already knowing what was waiting for her when she opened her eyes. Seinhou was there, standing just a bit beyond the foot of her bed by the wall of the room.

Crys glared at Seinhou. She was uncertain if this was just another hallucination, but she wasn't going to take any chances.

"Pity, what you did." Seinhou spoke up in his eerily controlled tone. "It was such a lovely chair."

"Just go away already!" Crys said harshly, knowing this definitely wasn't a hallucination. She was already trying to hold back tears.

"You know just as well as I that I can't do that." Seinhou replied smoothly.

"I'm not a threat, so just leave me alone!" Crys snapped back, desperately hoping that something she could say would get Seinhou to leave.

"But you are a threat." Seinhou replied flatly. "All lycanthropes are a danger, without exception. All it takes is one minor mistake, and then there's trouble, and you seem to be especially good at getting into trouble."

"I fix my mistakes!" Crys replied in her defense.

"Regardless of whether you 'fix' them, there are still damages. Ones that not even you can remedy." Seinhou replied.

"Does it even matter that I go and help people!? That I don't go around hurting anyone?!" Crys continued.

"Not in the slightest. It would be better if you had never done anything at all, and the fact you don't attack anyone is merely the bare minimum."

Crys was shocked by Seinhou's response. She took a moment to regather her thoughts, then snarled with anger. "What do you even have against werewolves!? Why are you so cruel?!" She snapped with pure emotion in her voice.

"Cruel?" Seinhou asked, a little too calmly for comfort. "Cruel would be taking you back to our headquarters and studying you for the rest of your meager life, letting all your family and friends wonder what ever could have happened to you. I am not cruel. I am doing my duty, and I am doing it much kinder than you deserve."

Crys couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had no idea how Seinhou couldn't see that everything he was doing to her was nothing but cruel. She had no words, being left with a face of confusion and horror.

Seinhou waited for a few moments, letting Crys have her chance to speak, but she stayed quiet, just vacantly staring at him. He took a breath. "Regardless, this little ethical debate is not the reason I am here." He said slyly.

Crys looked even more confused. She would've asked why Seinhou was there, but she knew she wouldn't get any answer, and if she did, it would be nothing but a vague mess of one.

Seinhou again let Crys have time to say her piece before speaking up again. "Goodnight, werewolf. Don't let the bedbugs bite." He said with menace and a small grin.

Crys felt a surge of panic before being washed over with a wave of exhaustion and swiftly succumbing to it.