Chapter 29

Sunday, Crys slept in, lounging around the house all day long along with Brandon. Monday, it was back to school. Crys and Brandon made their way there, with Crys being relatively quieter than usual. When they met up with Tomas and Emma, Tomas asked how things had gone, but in reply, Crys told him that she needed some time, so Tomas, a little annoyed but also understanding, gave Crys her space.

It was now Thursday morning. Crys woke up to the sound of her alarm. She slowly sat up in bed and rubbed her eyes. She hadn't had any nightmares for the past few days. She didn't even realize how much better sleep she had been getting. She stretched a little bit, then got up out of bed to do her morning routine. After just a few minutes, she energetically ran downstairs and met up with Brandon. She picked up her breakfast burrito that was sitting on the table and took a bite.

"You ready to go?" Crys asked in between bites.

"Yeah, I just finished eating." Brandon said, also in a good mood this morning.

The two friends headed out the door and started their walk to school.

"You doing good today?" Brandon spoke up.

Crys nodded in reply as she finished chewing the last bite of her breakfast. "Yeah." She added on, sounding more like herself than she had in months.

"Glad to hear." Brandon said with a smile.

"Things finally feel normal again." Crys responded somewhat seriously.

"You going to tell Tomas and Emma about what happened, today?"

"Probably." Crys casually said with a shrug. "I don't think I'll explain everything, but I'll at least tell them what happened."

"But not about Tomas' dad, right?" Brandon asked.

"No." Crys quickly said. "No, not at all." She added on. "That's something his dad can tell him."

"Agreed." Brandon said flatly.

"But, I mean, I'll tell them a bit about the other stuff. Though, I don't really know how much I want to say at school. Maybe we could all hang out somewhere and I could talk to them then." Crys wondered aloud.

"Sounds like a good idea." Brandon replied. "Maybe we could go get some ice cream or something."

"Brandon, it's fall. I don't think ice cream is such a good idea." Crys said with a small laugh.

"Ice cream is always a good idea." Brandon responded half-joking.

"I was thinking more like hanging out at someone's house or something. Something where people can't overhear you, you know?"

"I mean, well, yeah that makes sense."

"Still, maybe we can go out somewhere after school tonight." Crys shrugged.

"Or maybe go around the city tonight?" Brandon suggested under his breath.

"What?" Crys asked with a little laugh.

"You and I haven't really gone around recently, except for when we went to the top of the tower, but other than that..." Brandon explained himself, trailing off at the end.

"So, you just want to go gallivanting tonight?" Crys asked.

"I'd like to, yeah." Brandon said sheepishly.

Crys gave another small laugh. "Oh I see," she teased, "you just want to go out with me, don't you?"

"Crys, I-" Brandon tried saying, flustered.

"Just say you want to go out on a date." Crys kept teasing as she nudged Brandon's arm.

Brandon quietly laughed to himself for a moment, embarrassed. "Well, at least you're back to normal." He said.