Chapter 28

The next morning, while everything else was quiet, Crys called Tomas on her phone. She was still in Brandon's room. She had stayed there all of the previous night. She was sitting up on Brandon's bed while he was still curled up, awake, but not doing much else.

"Hey, Crys." Tomas said as he answered his phone. He sounded a little tired, but not too much.

"Tomas, could, could you do me a favor?" Crys asked, sounding rather nervous and a bit frightened still.

"What's going on?" Tomas asked, slightly concerned. He could pick up on Crys' anxiety.

"I- it's about what's been going on. I was hoping I could ask your dad for help."

"But not me, or Emma?"

"I don't want the two of you getting involved, or hurt."

"But my dad can?" Tomas said back, mostly just to point out the ludicracy in what Crys was saying rather than being hurt.

"No, it's not like that Tomas." Crys said, hoping to explain better. "Look, your dad is in charge of Techno Corp. He has access to all sorts of things that might help, and he's helped us before, you know that."

"I have access to all the same things, but you'd rather have my dad help you?"

Crys thought for a second of a good way to explain why. "H-he isn't after you or your dad, but he's made threats to go after you and see if you know anything about me. He isn't after your dad, but you, you're already next in line."

Tomas assumed the person Crys was talking about was the one who had been tormenting her. He mulled over the explanation for a few seconds, and it made a decent amount of sense to him. If he tried to help, it would only make him be tormented just like Crys, but if his dad helped, it might keep him safe. He took a deep breath. "You're still putting my dad in danger." He said.

"And I'll own up to it." Crys said firmly.

Tomas knew Crys would keep to her word. He also knew his dad was no pushover. Of course, Crys wouldn't know that, but he did. He figured that if anyone other than him or Emma would be able to help, it would definitely be his dad. "Alright." He said. "I'll tell my dad you'll be coming over to talk to him."

"Thank you, Tomas." Crys said warmly.

"I... I hate to ask, but do I get to hear any of what you're going to say to him?" Tomas added on after a brief moment.

"It's not safe for you to know anything." Crys said quietly.

"I figured you would say that." Tomas replied, a bit bummed out.

"I-I really am sorry, Tomas. I don't like keeping you out of things. I wish I could tell you what's going on, but it just isn't safe for you to know."

Tomas sighed. "But of course, my dad gets to know."

"Look, Tomas, if your dad winds up being able to stop what's going on, I will personally tell you exactly what has been happening." Crys promised.

Tomas thought for a moment to himself. "I'll take you up on that." He said. He was more than glad to hear that Crys wasn't going to keep withholding everything from him, even if it meant he had to wait just a little bit longer.

"Thank you, Tomas." Crys said again, relieved. She was glad her friend understood, and she was glad to finally be getting some hope.

"I'll just head over to Em's place, I guess. Like I said, I will make sure my dad knows you're coming to talk with him." Tomas said.

"Thanks." Crys said yet again.

"I'll talk with you later." Tomas said.

"Bye, Tomas." Crys said, sounding genuinely happy.