Chapter 5

Crys was anxiously walking alongside Brandon as they made their way to school the next morning. The day itself was fairly nice, but there was a tense feeling that made things seem a lot worse than they were.

"And so when I woke up, this man was just sitting in the chair by the window." Crys was explaining, somewhat frantically. She was caught somewhere between anxious and confused.

Brandon had noticed Crys acting extremely antsy earlier that morning before they had left. She barely even touched her breakfast. He had asked her if she was okay, but she had told him to wait until they were outside. Now, Crys was explaining everything to him.

"He just... I don't know exactly how to explain it." Crys continued explaining. "He wouldn't explain anything to me. He just said he was here for me. He threatened me with this gun thing so I wouldn't get up. He knows I'm a werewolf. He used my full name. I-I don't know what he's going to do... I'm scared that he's going to come back." Crys frowned and looked to the sidewalk below her.

"I uh... I don't really know what to say." Brandon said. He was trying to take it all in. It wasn't all that easy to believe, but at the same time, he had been through weirder. "Do you think it might've just been a dream?"

Crys pondered the idea for a moment. "I... I don't know." She murmured, worriedly. "It didn't feel like a dream."

"You've had nightmares that felt real before, though." Brandon said. "You've told me what some of them were. Like the ones you had when I was missing, or the ones about that other werewolf."

"I mean... it could have been one?" Crys said, second-guessing herself. "I-I don't know. I remember the conversation with him, but then... I just, uh..." She hesitated, trying to remember. "I think I just fell back asleep? Or... maybe the dream just ended..." She sounded doubtful and slowed her pace.

Brandon looked to his friend. She looked so disheartened and scared. To anyone but him, she might've just seemed lost in thought, but he knew better. He tried to think of something comforting to say, but nothing good would come to mind. He thought for a few moments. "I have an idea." He said suddenly and rather calmly.

"What is it?" Crys asked, a little bit eager, hoping that it would be helpful.

"Well, okay, maybe try putting your phone next to your bed like usual, but have it be recording." Brandon suggested. "That way, if that man comes back, you can check the recording for that night-"

"And if I go back and can hear him, then it's not a dream!" Crys tacked on before Brandon could finish explaining that part himself.

Brandon nodded his head. "So?" He asked, wanting an appraisal of his idea.

"It's a good idea." Crys said. "Thanks. I guess that can help put my mind at ease for now. I mean, it gives me something to do, at least."

"Well, I'm definitely glad to hear that." Brandon said with a smile.

Crys smiled back at her friend. "Hey, let's uh, not tell Tomas and Emma about this just yet." She added on.

"Tomas isn't going to be happy about that." Brandon mentioned.

"It's not their problem yet. And what if it really was just a bad dream? Then we'd just be worrying them for nothing." Crys said.

"Tomas'll still be pretty upset, I think."

"Look." Crys stopped walking. She got much more serious. "I still don't think it was just a dream. Whoever he is, that man knows I'm a werewolf. I'm willing to bet he at least knows that you know I'm a werewolf, too." She explained.