Chapter Forty: Izzy Stradlin

April 18th, 1987

"So when does your centerfold come out?" Izzy asks, shocking me to the core. With the money from the record label, we managed to rent a three bedroom, two bathroom house in West Hollywood. I don't foresee us staying here too long though, because I know for sure that once they get the record out, sales will be through the roof. Which means, they'll all be buying their own mansions.

"So we're speaking again?" Ever since the night we kissed, the night I chose Duff over Izzy, things with Izzy have been rocky. We've barely spoke, just about things that are necessary, like day to life or the band.

"I guess so, Deanna," he scoffs, shaking his head and leaning against the kitchen counter. "What are you doing?" It's only eight o'clock in the morning, the rest of the band still sound asleep upstairs.

"I'm making eggs," I shrug, continuing to cook. "I think that much is pretty obvious, don't you?"

"I've never seen you cook before," he seems shocked, like I just threw a million dollars onto the counter in front of him. "I didn't know you knew how to."

"I basically raised myself, Stradlin," I sigh, putting the eggs on the plate. "Of course I know how to cook, you guys just slept all day and the only meal I make is breakfast. We have too much shit to do at night. You hungry?"

"I could eat," I give him the plate of eggs, grabbing the last one for myself. "So, your centerfold?"

"I don't really know, they said they'll contact me about it. Could be over a year before we see me," sitting with Izzy, the two of us eat our eggs together in near silence. "You should come to the party tonight, at the mansion."

"Is Axl going?" Oh, Axl.. poor Axl. He's been especially hard to deal with since I broke the news that the kid isn't his, although Haley only said she 'thinks' it isn't his. She has a reason to believe that, but no solid proof. He's been a wreck since, to the point where he has his own room in this house. Duff and I share a room, Slash, Izzy, and Steven share another, but nobody wants to be around Axl right now. His anger, his resentment, I really feel bad for him.

"Surprisingly? Yes, I'm not sure why. I don't know if he wants to catch a glimpse of Haley, if he's looking for a one night stand, I'm not sure what his angle is." I stare down at the empty plate in front of me, knowing that Izzy and I needed to have a conversation that we haven't ever had. "Are we okay?"

Izzy looks over at me, as if studying me. "Yeah, Deanna, we're good," he pulls me into a hug, which I return. "I'm sorry I got so mad at you, I don't think anybody could be better for you than Duff."

"No," we pull away at the sound of the voice, Duff standing in the doorway. "I don't think so either."

***

The party is absolutely insane, which I expected, what with it being the Playboy Mansion. Photographers took photos of Hef and I, as well as Hef with the band, and unexpectedly, a photo of Hef, Duff, and I. Steven brought his girlfriend, Audrey, who he's apparently been with a year - how did I not know that? I've known them for two years at this point.

Haley is here, with her daughter - who has long, strawberry blonde hair. I don't think she expected us to come, because I don't think she would've brought her daughter. This isn't a raunchy party like Midsummers, it's an Easter celebration. This party was supposed to be last month, when Easter was, but a few things came up and the party got pushed back.

Of course, we didn't come early enough for the morning brunch and the Easter egg hunt, but we did make it in time for the party. "That doesn't look very not my kid to me, Deanna," Axl grumbles, glaring over at me.

I hold my hands up in defense, glancing over at my former roommate. "I only know what she told me, I've never seen the kid until now. Axl, please don't do this right now, there are plenty of girls here, don't let her keep dragging you down." He doesn't say anything, simply walking away.

Duff wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me in close to him. "I can't believe my girl is gonna be a Playmate," he smiles, the two of us watching as Steven, Audrey, Slash, and Izzy make their way to the party. "I think the guys are excited too, Audrey maybe not so much."

"I really like her, though," I laugh, looking through the crowd. "I think she's good for him."

"Hey, so you and Izzy-," I cut him off, not wanting to get into the conversation.

"There's nothing going on with me and Izzy. I could give you a multitude of reasons why. For one, this band is the most important thing to me, I wouldn't do anything to fuck it up. Two, I never cheat, I never cheated on anybody, even the people who deserve it. And three, I'm in love with you, Duff McKagan." My eyes widen as I realize what I just said. I never truly, seriously told Duff McKagan that I'm in love with him, until just now.

His smile beams as he kisses me deeply, in the middle of a Playboy Mansion party. "I love you, Deanna Caine."

"Deanna!" The moment is interrupted as Riley Page, Miss April 1987, runs over to me with Brandi Brandt, who's set to be Miss October this year. Duff lets me go as the two pull me into a hug. "Is this your famous rockstar boyfriend?"

"I, uh, wouldn't say I'm famous yet," he wraps his arm around my shoulder after the girls let me go, pulling me back into his side. "I'm Duff McKagan."

I introduce the girls, Duff standing by silently as we gush about our photo shoots, theming, and what we're excited for coming up. "Babe, you can go hang out with the guys," I say, gesturing to Izzy and Slash who are now conversing with the one and only, Nikki Sixx.

"Nah," he shrugs, pulling me in tighter. "I'd rather hang out here with you."

"Who is that?" Riley asks, continuing to stare over at Izzy and Nikki, Slash now nowhere to be found. "He's hot as hell."

"The one on the left is Izzy Stradlin, he plays rhythm guitar in the band Duff is in. And on the right, is Nikki Sixx, the bassist of Mötley Crüe," I'm not exactly sure which one Riley had been talking about, but might as well tell her who both are, right?

"Wait, bassist Nikki as in your ex Nikki? He's friends with the guys in your new boyfriend's band?" Riley seems to be shocked at this news, but I've noticed Brandi's eyes haven't left Nikki - at all.

"Yeah, they might be playing a few shows together," I shrug, as if it's no big deal. It really isn't, I'm over Nikki, especially after my last experience with him.

"And you said the other one is Izzy?"

I smirk at Riley's question, looking up at Duff before pulling away from him. "Yeah, wanna meet him?" I don't give her a chance to answer, I grab her arm and lead her over to where Nikki and Izzy are standing, Brandi trailing behind. Glancing back at Duff, I see him laughing, knowing exactly what I'm about to do. "Izzy, this is my friend Riley, she's Miss April 1987. Riley, this is Izzy Stradlin."

A/N: I got three GnR members coupled up now, two more to go 🤣 stay tuned for another GnR fic whenever I finally finish this one, it's been like 4 years since I started it 😬