Chapter Six • Katharina Kerekgyarto

July 2nd, 1985

"Haley, have you seen my Sex Pistols shirt?" I yell to my roommate, digging through the blue plastic laundry basket. My clothes scattered the living room floor, you could barely tell that there's a carpet.

"You mean, this one?" She smiles, walking into the living room, holding the shirt up. It used to be a plain white t-shirt that I had gotten from the Salvation Army, much to my father's dismay. I had used stencils and spray painted the Sex Pistols name on it, in true Joan Jett fashion.

"You have your own," I groan, thinking back to the time Haley and I made those shirts together, back when we were close. "Why don't you wear it?"

"I actually don't have my own shirt anymore," the dirty blonde girl informs me as I scoop up stray clothing and drop it back into the basket. "My mom threw it out before we left, said I was going to Hell for having that on my shirt."

I pause my actions, looking up at the girl. "How does she think she got pregnant with you?" I scoff, shaking my head at the stupidity. Jesus this, Jesus that, both Haley's and my parents need to cut the shit.

I hear a knock at the front door, too light of a knock to be one of the guys, but not light enough to be our elderly landlord. "Your turn to get the door," Haley scoffs, draping the shirt across the back of the couch before heading back down the hall to her room.

I resist the urge to curse at her, instead standing up and walking the couple feet to the door. Which, Haley could've done, considering she was already standing up. "I'm coming," I yell, wanting whoever is outside my door to stop their constant knocking. I hate people.

"Who are you?" I ask, my eyes traveling down the leggy blonde before me. She's wearing a pencil skirt and tights, with a fancy type shirt that I only see my father's assistants wear. Her blonde hair is up in a neat bun, red lipstick smeared across her lips.

I didn't see it coming. She smacks me, whipping my face to the right. Normally, I would fight back, but I'm in shock.

"Katharina Kerekgyarto," She spits out, staring at me with her brown eyes. "Remember the name, because I am Duff McKagan's girlfriend."

With that, she walks away, back to the elevator leading down to the bottom floor of our eight story apartment building. "Was that about you fucking Duff?" Haley asks, a Malibu Bay Breeze in her hand.

"You saw me get smacked, and you made yourself a drink?" I raise my eyebrows, but I'm not angry considering I'd probably do the same thing to her.

She shrugs, taking a sip from her glass cup. "I thought there would be more of a show."

"Did you know he had a girlfriend?" I rub my cheek, walking over to the mirror on the living room wall. A handprint is etched into my skin, but it could be worse.

"Yeah," she answers shortly, downing the rest of her drink before beginning to make herself a new one. "They were talking about it yesterday after you got kicked us out of your room so you could get dressed."

"And you couldn't have warned me?"

"That wouldn't have been as much fun."

I think I'm going to pay it forward to Duff.

•••

Surprisingly, there isn't any partygoers at the storage unit as Haley and I walk up. The members of Guns N' Roses are sitting there, absentmindedly playing their instruments or, in Izzy's case, scribbling on a notebook.

I smile softly as I notice the calendar I had gotten them hastily hung up on the wall with scotch tape, but don't let that distract me from my mission.

Izzy is the first to notice the two of us, waving as we walk up and catching the attention of the other band members. "Hey," he greets before turning back to his notebook.

"Hey, Deanna, what's-" I cut Duff off with a sheer slap, putting all my strength into it and whipping his head to the side; just like Katharina did to me. "Ow! The fuck was that for?"

"Just paying it forward," I smile sweetly, tilting my head to the side. The band bursts into laughter as Duff raises his eyebrows in confusion.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He asks, rubbing his bruised cheek. "What do you mean, 'paying it forward'?"

"Katharina paid me a visit, I'd try to pronounce her last name but that's damn near impossible." I gesture to my own cheek, the red had gone down but you could still see the distinct mark of a handprint. "I didn't want the gift she gave me, so I gave it to you."

"And it was hilarious," Haley adds, laughing.

"Please," I beg Duff, giving him the puppy dog eyes. "Next time, if you have a girlfriend, at least warn me so I can make her answer the door." I jerk my thumb in Haley's direction, earning myself a loud 'hey'.

"Next time?" He asks hopefully. I never noticed before, but Duff is almost too tall to fit in this unit. Man, they gotta get an actual place soon.

"Nope," I pop the 'p', shaking my head quickly. "Not while you're with that bitch, seems like she's able to commit murder, and I quite like my life. Dressed to impress, but looks that kill."

"Oh, uh, she has to dress like that, she works at a bank," this story gets even more confusing as it keeps going, I notice. I go to question him about that part, but Haley beats me to it.

"You? Duff McKagan? Hollywood rockstar? Dating a girl who works at a bank?" She questions, as confused about this situation as I am.

"You girls gotta think about it like broke rockstars," Axl steps forward, sunglasses covering his eyes yet again. "Working at a bank equals making money equals Duff here getting a place to live while she buys us food."

I burst out laughing along with Haley while the guys look at us like we have six heads. "Well, Duff," I start, shaking my head at his misfortune. "You better start running, because if not, Hurricane Katharina seems like she's the type to burn your shit."

His eyes widen as he comes to the realization, thrusting his bass in my hands. "Shit," ever seen a Giselle running down the streets of Hollywood? I have, and it's as funny as you'd imagine.

"So," I begin, taking a seat next to Slash on the floor. He looks to be half asleep, a cigarette hanging from his mouth. "What's the deal with him and Katharina? Do the rest of you have girls I don't know about?"

"Why do you wanna know about him and Kat?" Axl asks quickly, staring at me from across the unit. "Deanna interested in something serious with Duff, even after what just happened?"

I laugh, wagging my finger in the redhead vocalist's direction. "You're funny, you're really funny. I don't do serious relationships, and neither does my girl Haley here."

"You're girl?" Funny, the half passed out Slash answers when you accidentally imply lesbian tendencies.

"Meaning my friend," I shake my head at the guys, their horniness inspiring. "Man, you guys gotta detox before meeting Madame Wong."