Chapter 15 (An Accident?)

Damien patted the back of her hand. "Don't worry, Annabella. He won't be able to do anything to you. Not with me by your side. Trust me, will ya?"

He looked into her eyes, expecting her to cooperate with him.

Annabella let out a soft sigh. "Fine," She said more like whispering.

"Good girl." He gave her a smile filled with warmth.

Damien paid attention to Rozex again. "Mr Rozex, I think we should take our leave now. My girlfriend seems to be a little tired."

"Oh, so soon? You guys don't wanna attend that silly banquet?"

None of them replied to his question.

Rozex waved his hands at them. "It's okay. Fine, if you don't want to. You may go."

He waited for the couple to completely disappear from his eyesight before talking to his assistant.

"Investigate that girl's background for me."

The assistant was puzzled. "But why sir?"

Rozex glared at him. "Just do as I say," He snapped.

The assistant nodded his head continuously like a rat, saying, "Okay. Right away, sir. Right away."

--------

"Are we gonna leave just like that?" Annabella asked when they reached the first floor again.

"You look pale. Although you are naturally pale, you look even paler right now. So I think I should just bring you home."

"..."

"Hey, I'm not that pale," She spat out.

Damien gave her a playful smirk. "Yes, you are."

"Humph! Think whatever you want to."

"Ha ha ha... Vampire girl." Damien chuckled as he kept teasing her.

Annabella spared him a death glare.

"Shut up!" She barked.

Damien chuckled again.

Thereafter, both of them fell silent for a moment, immersing in their own worlds.

"Who the hell are you, Damien?" Annabella enquired out of nowhere, making him pause in his tracks.

"Why did you have to meet such a dangerous-looking person like him? I don't like him even a bit."

It took Damien some time to digest what she just said. When he did, he exhaled a tired breath.

"Me neither. But I had to meet him. Would you believe it if I were to tell you that sometimes we are forced to do things although we don't like to do them in the first place?" Damien paid his entire attention to her as he asked.

"I believe you." Annabella sighed heavily. "My mother wants me to go on dates. I don't like to do though. But... As you said... I'm forced to do that."

"I can understand what you are saying. Even my father... Let's not talk about him."

"But why?" Annabella was curious. "What does he want you to do?"

"He wants me to take over his company. But I don't like to be a CEO. I have my own dreams, my own passions to fulfil."

"Poor boy!" Annabella patted his back sympathetically.

Her eyes lit up when she spotted the dance floor. She grabbed Damien by his wrist, dragging him towards the crowd.

"Hey, Dummy. Let's dance and forget about our worries for the time being," She suggested.

Damien glanced at the crowd and then returned his gaze towards Annabella. "It's crowded," He complained. "I don't like huge crowds."

"Oh, really!" Annabella clicked her tongue in disappointment.

She looked around and found a not-so-small place under a gigantic crystal chandelier. Her face brightened right away. It was such a perfect place for a couple to dance.

"Let's dance under the crystal chandelier. What do you think?" She looked at him hopefully.

Damien didn't want to shatter her hopes. Hence, he agreed. He didn't know why, but he didn't feel like dancing.

However, when he looked at the girl before him who was shorter than him and cuter than him, all his worries faded away.

Damien gently placed his hand on Annabella's waist, taking her hand using his other hand. Annabella put one of her hands on his steady chest, swaying her body to the rhythm of the music.

They danced elegantly, gaining the attention of the people around them. In their eyes, they looked almost perfect, like a couple went down to earth directly from heaven.

The boy looked like a handsome, angelic pretty boy while the girl in his arms appeared like a deity, a dazzlingly beautiful little elf from ancient times.

Other couples stopped dancing as they gathered around them to watch them dance. Annabella felt a bit nervous when she saw the people around them.

But then again, her heart felt at ease at the sight of the good-looking boy before her. He stared deep into her eyes. He didn't see anything. He didn't want to see anything either. In his eyes, he could only see the girl in front of him, he only wanted to look at her. To him, she looked like an angel who came to bring colours to his life which was filled with darkness.

The young man who dealt with the music of the entire banquet deliberately chose a soothing, comfortable song for the couple. It was suitable for their rhythm. Music emphasized the beauty of their movements.

To others, their dance looked like a fairytale... It gave the vibes of a part of a realistic fairytale which had a satisfying happy ending.

But wait...

Apparently, this fairytale didn't have a happy ending...

Crasssh!

With a loud crash, the chandelier started falling to the floor at lightning speed. It aimed directly at Annabella's head.

The people started screaming when they witnessed the horrifying scene in front of them.

Damien looked up at the chandelier. Then without thinking twice, he swiftly pushed Annabella out of the mess, trying to save her life and then save himself as well. However, he couldn't do exactly what he thought.

Annabella was stupefied when she felt Damien fall on top of her body. They made eye contact for a split second when suddenly the chandelier fell on Damien's back. The glasses shattered into pieces, making a loud noise.

Annabella's eyes widened in shock and disbelief.

"Damien!" She screamed from the top of her lungs.

He gave her a reassuring smile before completely passing out, his head fell on her shoulder.

Annabella couldn't move even an inch. Her heart rose up and down, ready to come out of her chest. She could feel that her heart was about to explode. She felt a huge pain... A massive pain spread through her entire body. Not only her body, but her soul also screamed in pain and agony. Simply, she couldn't bear it. It was just too much for her!

"Why..." She whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Why did you do that?"

Damien's motionless body didn't give her a single answer. His smiles, his cute talks, and his playful manners were no longer there.

Annabella could helplessly watch Damien being lifted by some men, putting him on a trolley, and immediately taking him to the hospital.

"Ma'am, can you stand up or do you want me to help you?" A kind-looking middle-aged woman asked Annabella patiently.

Annabella looked in the direction where they brought Damien out. She kept staring at their blurring figures until they completely disappear from her eyesight.

"Take me to him..." She managed to speak with difficulty.

"Who's he? Do you know him?"

"He..." Annabella was silent for a moment before saying, "He's my boyfriend."

Suddenly, her head felt dizzy and she passed out.