CH. 2.3 This Heart Ain't Built for Two

Chapter 2.3 This Heart Ain't Built For Two

Gabe frowned at Alex's absence from the testing center. He began to worry when she wasn't in their rooms, either. When he opened the door to her bedroom, he was shocked to see Cla sitting on Alex's bed.

"Oh, Gabe, I knew you would come here eventually. I can't break this to you gently. She's . . . she's . . ." Cla sobbed tearless sobs, speaking in-between gulps of air. "It was . . . was the Gilas you see."

"No, I don't see," Gabe said, voice brusque with fear.

"You should sit down," Cla said.

He sat next to her, numbly obedient.

"The Gilas . . . they're . . . they're . . . assassins. And there are those . . . afraid of your friend. They hired the Gilas and . . . and . . ." Cla broke down, burying her head on Gabe's shoulder.

"No," he said softly.

"Gabe, I'm sorry." Cla put her arms around him.

He followed suit reflexively.

Alex limped in. Her legs were sore and scraped, but that was nothing compared to the pain in her side. A long cut oozed blood, and her leg ached, but with the adrenaline it seemed distant. She saw them and snapped, "Wouldn't you like proof before celebrating my death?"

"Alex!" Gabe leapt to his feet, but Alex's murderous look warned him off.

"Even if I was dead, you could wait until my body was cold before falling all over each other." She sat on the opposite side of the bed, a groan of pain escaping. "And on my bed? That's tasteless and high on the ick factor." She fell back onto the bed, cursing as she lifted her injured leg by hand.

"But Alex," Gabe began helplessly, "Here now, you're hurt. Let me take a look."

"No, get out of here. Go do whatever you were doing with Miss Reptile of the Month somewhere else. Leave me alone."

Alex stung Gabe's pride and he stormed out. When Cla followed, she turned and gave her a sly smile. Alex heart sank at the grave tactical error of losing her temper. She should have played up her wounds and let Gabe tend them. Instead, she sent him off with her worst enemy.

That thought made her leg throb worse. The thrill of gaining the Gila's vote was gone.

In the hall, Dr. Glick nearly collided with Gabe.

"You've heard? Alex is back. I take it she's not in there." Dr. Glick looked toward their quarters.

"I hadn't been told she was missing," Gabe said coldly.

"Yes, it was felt that it should be not be open knowledge . . . sorry . . . . if she's not in her chambers, I'll look elsewhere," Dr. Glick said.

"Actually," Gabe looked embarrassed. "Alex is in her room."

Dr. Glick looked at both of them shrewdly, and then said with measured words, "I understand she's all right, if you were leaving."

"We were retrieving the medics," Cla said smoothly.

"I'm sure. Excuse me." Dr. Glick brushed past them and disappeared in Alex's room.

"Dr. G, guess what. I'm a szarek now." Alex propped herself up on her elbows when her friend entered. "Isn't that great? The Council member promised to vote for my InterSpec status. Three votes down, how many does that leave?"

"Szarek? Congratulations. Let's have a look at you." Dr. Glick visibly calmed at the sight of Alex smiling and sitting up.

"C'mon, Dr. G., admit that it's good news."