CH. 4.1 Things Are Looking Up

Alex paced one of the Institute's gardens. Dr. Glick had arranged for her to visit the large, southwest garden. The fact that it was an interior garden, its walls the buildings of the Institute itself, wasn't lost on Alex. They didn't know she could fly out whenever she wanted, and their ignorance served her purposes, for now. She was allowed in this garden alone, without a guard, and Alex appreciated it until she saw Cla.

Is this miserable female ever going to leave me alone?

Cla drew her dagger and charged Alex like a steam train.

"Now Cla." Alex avoided the knife swipe. "There's no point to this." She jumped aside. "Can't you rest on your victory and gloat? Do you have to come after me with a knife? You win. You win." Alex raised her hands in surrender but kept moving.

"Stop leaping about like a chitterer and fight," Cla replied.

"No, now stop that." The knife skimmed Alex's jacket. "I promised Gabe," Alex added unhappily.

I won't hurt Gabe's future children, even if you are a witch.

"As if a promise to him makes any difference," Cla sneered and lunged again.

"Stop! Leave Alex alone!"

Alex was relieved to see Zilik running up. Cla was bound to leave her alone now that they had an audience.

Probably. Maybe. Maybe not.

"What's going on?" Zilik asked Alex, ignoring Cla.

"Stay out of this, Chameleon, this is between two females."

"Alex is a protected dignitary," Zilik blustered.

"Leave us, Chameleon. Your lies annoy me as much as your presence." Cla's confident voice was used to commanding others.

"You'll have to wait for some other time to corner Alex," he replied.

"Your government cannot afford to antagonize our empire. Leave now and I will forget you were here. Interfere and I can assure you that your Council member will know of your unprovoked attack," Cla threatened.

"It's okay, Zilik. She can't touch me if I don't want her to. Go on." Alex could lie as well as Zilik. Alex nudged him away. Zilik couldn't help her and she saw that he was in danger. "Cla, you'll wear yourself out. Why don't you let me cruise with Zilik?"

"You need a reason to fight? How about clutch rights?" Cla asked.

"Clutch rights?" Alex looked to Zilik for explanation, but Cla filled in quickly.

"Defeat me and you will own the eggs that I clutch next. You know who the father is."

"No, Alex, only a fool would accept a clutch challenge," Zilik hissed in her ear, but interest sparked in Alex's eyes. "She'll be free to kill you, but you won't be able to hurt her or risk losing the clutch."

Possibilities raced across Alex's mind.

Not only could I free Gabe of any obligation to Cla, it would give me a chance at a normal life on this planet. I could have Gabe's children. We could raise them together.

Her head was still swimming with possibilities when she heard herself say yes.

"Alex," Zilik's hiss vibrated her eardrum.

"Sorry, Zilik, but I have to do this. How do I win?" Alex asked.

"Pin her for ten clicks. But you can't accept this challenge. Back down while you have time," Zilik said.

Alex shoved him aside as Cla rushed them. Alex grabbed her wrist and twisted it downward, but Cla turned with a punch to Alex's middle. When Alex lost her grip, Cla slashed upward with the knife, creasing Alex's chest. Alex avoided her next swipe and clouted her across the head. While Cla reeled, Alex tried to sweep her feet out from under her. Cla's footing was too solid and Alex found herself slammed to the ground.

"Ready to die, mammal?"

Alex slammed her forehead into Cla's. "Let me answer that question with a head butt."

**

Cale walked beside Gabe and Rile trailed them as they made their way to the garden Cla had told them to meet her.

"We're too early. Cla said she wasn't meeting us for another hour," Cale said.

"I know, but I wanted to look around without our escorts," Gabe said as he followed him.

"At last, our mighty leader speaks rationally." Rile pushed them aside. "Talk about sightseeing, look over there. Isn't that Alex and Cla?"

"She promised." Gabe broke into a run.

**

Alex was pinned under Cla's knees, both hands on Cla's wrist as the knife slowly advanced toward her neck.

"What is going on? Stop this second," Gabe ordered.

With that distraction, Alex twisted her body enough to throw Cla off. She body-slammed Cla onto her back and held her there.

"Alex, I said to stop," Gabe said.

"In ten clicks," she replied.

"There is no reason for you to fight," Gabe complained.

"I'd say you gave them plenty of reason, Gabe." Rile joined them and watched with interest. "Why ten clicks?"

"Because if I can keep her down," Alex groaned with effort as Cla surged upward.

"She'll win clutch rights," Zilik finished for her.

Gabe stared as Cla hurled Alex through the air into a tree trunk.

"I get it," Rile crowed in delight. "Alex wants—"

"Shut up. Then there is no reason for this fight," Gabe said as he rushed over to the two. Alex was slumped against the tree trunk and Cla was over her.

"Beg, mammal." Cla grabbed Alex by the throat and put a knife to her heart.

"I hope your eggs rot in the shell," she snarled back.

Gabe's hand caught Cla's wrist before she could bury the knife into its Alex's chest. "I said stop."

Zilik, Rile, and Cale surrounded Cla and Alex. Rile and Cale had their swords out and pointed at Cla.

Cla was about to reply, but she stopped herself, and schooled her expression into calmness. "She attacked me, for she is crazed with jealousy. I feared for my life." She leaned against Gabe in a familiar way.

"It didn't look like your life was in danger," Rile said.

Zilik helped Alex up. She shook off his hand as soon as she was upright.

"Are you okay?" Gabe asked.

"I'm fine. A female must be prepared to defend her clutch," Cla said.

Gabe hesitated a moment, the object of both Alex's and Cla's scrutiny.

"Alex, what did I tell you about fighting with Cla?" he said.

Alex closed her eyes in defeat, but when she opened them, defiance glared from them. Rile watched Alex closely and he held his breath. Zilik cocked his head as he watched Alex closely as well. But the light faded from Alex's eyes and her shoulders sagged.

"I'm fine, thanks," Alex said.

"Let's go." Zilik put his arm around Alex's shoulders.

Things were looking up for him.

***

A/N

Photo courtesy of pixnio.com