CH 10.1 A Dictator By Any Other Name

Alex soared above the palace courtyard. Below, a whoop of joy rose from the revolutionaries below as they waved their swords and guns, cheering for their leader. Alex flew lazy circles over the ruins of the palace courtyard, holding Kuni's lifeless body aloft with her sword.

The surging crowd erupted into a raucous cheer as more revolutionaries poured into the front courtyard. Warriors in the jubilant crowd leaped up and down, yelling and clapping their hands. Alex's heart quickened when she saw Rile, Cale, and Gabe, but they were too far away to reach her. Suddenly, many hands were on her, lifting her off the ground and carrying her into the palace. The roar of the crowd bounced off the walls and filled the air.

So much for psychology. They love a winner, mammal or reptile, it seems.

Alex's eyes darted around the throne room, taking in its grandeur—ornate tapestries hung from the walls, gilded candelabras illuminated the space, and long red carpets ran between the columns. But Alex didn't see a single Anolis male in attendance.

I guess the females have no intention of sharing their victory celebration.

She could hear Rile voicing his discontent from some distance. The new Kuni, wearing a bronze crown with sharp spikes, glanced at one of her guards before giving a nod. And then Alex saw the brothers file in. Someone pushed Alex forward in front of the throne.

"I thank you for your help. I know what you wish as a reward. Gabe is yours," the new Kuni said.

Gabe, Cale, and Rile's faces blazed with anger as they shouted in unison.

Alex's mouth quirked up slightly at the corners. "You boys thought you were fighting for truth, justice, and the American way - wrong. Same system, different Kuni. I can see Deela didn't explain the finer points of the revolution to you."

Rile stepped forward, his fists clenched and eyes aflame. "We chose you so changes could be made!" He pointed an accusing finger at the imposing figure wearing the crown.

A beatific smile lit up her face. "They will be, my loyal subjects, I am a most benevolent ruler." She touched the crown tenderly as she spoke.

"Then free all the Anolis males," Alex said.

Alex's words rang out in the tense silence of the chamber, and the Kuni and revolutionaries broke into uproarious laughter. To Alex, it sounded like a death knell, while the Gila mercenaries scowled and low growls rumbled in their chests. The Anolis females stopped laughing abruptly at the sound.

"I will make sure the males are treated better by their females."

"A dictator by any other name," Cale cut across her words.

The female sentries raised their spears towards them, eliciting another round of menacing growls from the Gilas.

"One mate for my help?" Alex brushed imaginary dust from her shoulder. "Benevolent? Stingy is more the word."

The new Kuni, visibly displeased, gave a sharp intake of breath and tightened her grip on the arms of the throne. "What do you want?"

"Cale, Gabe, and the whole palace harem," Alex answered casually. "Oh, and Rile is already mine."

The Kuni's face grew ashen with disbelief. "The whole harem?" she repeated incredulously.

Alex spread her arms wide and smiled. "The whole harem. I have affection for them. They sheltered me overnight until I could challenge Amal, the old Kuni, for Rile." She paused, her gaze steady on the new Kuni who was gripping the armrests of her throne with white knuckles. Alex said slowly, "You should remember that Rile supplied your revolutionaries with vital information for you to gain the throne." The Kuni glared at her, and Alex held her gaze without flinching. "You want me out of your affairs," she said.