CH 6.1 Sleeping Next To, Not With Redo

Ch. 6.1 –Sleeping Next To, Not With, Sudowrite started

The sky had long since turned inky black when Zilik returned to the room. Alex lay curled up on her side beneath a patchwork quilt, sleeping soundly. Razz alerted as soon the door opened, his head popped up and his eyes were bright.

"How is she?" Zilik asked.

Razz leaned down and softly brushed his muzzled against Alex's forehead, then smiled up at Zilik. "Warm and sleeping," he said.

Zilik stood there, his color changing from bright green to orange to yellow and back again.

"For what are you waiting? Climb in," Razz said.

Zilik still stood there, color still changing.

Razz grinned. "This a golden chance for you, Zilik, since Alex accepts a group bed. You are known for being politically savvy and have done much to assist us—you should absolutely join us in this."

Zilik's color flowed to bright green and stayed as he slipped next to Alex. "Chameleons excel at adopting other culture's habits. Right now, a group bed seems like a very, very, good idea." He curled around Alex's back.

***

Morning light dragged Alex to consciousness. Before opening her eyes, she felt bodies pressed on each side of her and the comforting scent of leather filled her nostrils. She exhaled deeply as the weight of the nightmare lifted from her heart. She must be at home with Gabe and either Cale or Rile.

I can't remember why both are here, or where the third brother is, but I don't care.

A pain in her side nagged at her. She tried ignoring it, but it kept tapping on her brain, prodding her further away from sleep. She attempted to distract herself by exploring the body beside her with her fingertips. Everything came rushing back to her like an unwelcome guest-- every disappointment, every insecurity, every mistake-- and she felt completely awake.

"Aaaa!" Surprise made Alex sit bolt upright and cry out. The pain made her curl into a ball, clutching her wounded arm desperately. "Aaaa!" This time, it was a cry of anguish.

"Alex, you should not move so quickly. Please lie back down. Please let me examine your wound," Razz said. His face was inches away from hers, and he gently guided her back down to the bed before she could do anything reckless.

Alex gasped for breath as Razz's voice echoed in her ears. She stared at him wide-eyed, trying to make sense of what was happening in her usual awakening confusion.

"What are you two doing here?" Alex asked, still trying to orient herself. "Where is here, anyway?"

"This is our room in the Institute. We are keeping you warm so that you can heal." Razz's voice held no apology. "Now let me see." He lifted her shirt edge despite her feeble protests. He scrutinized her wounds in silence for a moment before gesturing towards Zilik.. "Good, no new bleeding. Zilik, do you have any oil?"

Alex scrunched her eyebrows.

That's an odd question.

Zilik walked straight to a cabinet and popped it open to reveal shelves of bottles. He reached in and pulled out a glass bottle with a red wax seal. His gaze never shifted from Razz as he handed it over, standing close enough for Alex to see the muscles move beneath his shirt as he leaned in.

"You'll need this for yourself. In fact, you'll need more than oil," Zilik said.

Zilik went back to the cabinet and pulled out a blue crystal jar. Alex looked at Razz in curiosity.