CH 8.2 Rescuing Razz...Again

When Alex awoke, Razz had already left, leaving his brother sleeping soundly in the chair with Zilik and Rile deep in conversation.

"Where did he go?" Alex asked groggily, her movements restricted by the warmth of the blanket around her shoulders.

"He told us he'd be right back," Rile replied, gesturing towards the door, "but that was some time ago."

"The rebel Anolis contingency is conducting a party in the courtyard," Zilik said, and Dex's eyes snapped open as he moaned his brother's name.

Alex furrowed her brow, confused. "Why would he go there, though?"

"Political maneuvering," Zilik replied with an indifferent shrug. "There are revolutionaries and loyalists involved, hoping to make some contacts and gain favor."

Dex started rocking, hugging himself, and whispering Razz's name over and over.

Alex sprung to her feet and fumbled with the leather straps of her sword belt. She tugged at the sword's hilt until it slid out of the scabbard with a whisper, and buckled the belt around her hips. "Fire truck politics and the Anolis females. I'm off," she declared.

Zilik moved towards her, placing his hands gently on her arms. His voice was gentle but persuasive. "Politics create and recreate our world. Let Razz work through this political landscape. The Anolis rebels are different from the established Kuni." He held onto Alex's gaze as if to ensure that she was listening.

Alex stood tall, her hand gripping the hilt of her sword. She turned to Zilik and spoke with a determined edge in her voice, "He can work just fine with me and my sword ready for Anolis females."

"Then I will accompany you." Zilik stood up.

"Stay here," Alex added, "Please. Dex needs you and if Razz comes back, he'll freak out if there's no one in the room but Dex in misery." She looked him in the eyes and softened her tone. "You don't want to be around me. I'm a political nightmare. You must stay clean to work your political magic."

Zilik slowly approached Dex, and without saying a word, slipped onto the couch to sit by him. He wrapped his arm around Dex's shoulder in an embrace of solidarity. Alex pushed open the door with a deep exhale, as though determined to face whatever lay beyond it.

"I got your back," Rile said, stepping into the unknown alongside Alex.

***

Alex slinked around the edge of the room, her eyes noting each person, occasionally pausing to listen in on conversations. Rile watched her carefully—she was like a predator searching for her next victim. Suddenly, a noise caught Alex's attention and before Rile could even blink, she made their way into a dark corner of the room, intent on keeping out of sight. Rile followed cautiously, hand on sword hilt.

A female had a protesting Razz pinned to a couch, stroking him. Her hands moved slowly, as if memorizing the contours of his muscles and increasing his humiliation. No one paid Razz or the female any attention. Fury gave Alex the strength to fling that female up against the wall and pound her muzzle.

"Alex, I can only hold off so many. Maybe you should stop." Rile's voice was edged with a warning as he eyed the partygoers descending into an angry mob. He moved slowly, trying to defuse the tension in the room. "I'm not one to back down from a good fight, but this will be a slaughter." With the toe of his boot, Rile flicked up Razz's discarded gold collar from the ground, caught it, and stuffed it in a convenient pocket.

"Fine." Alex's face contorted in rage, and she shoved away the female. Spinning around, she jumped onto a nearby table. "I have an announcement!" Her voice reverberated around the room, full of anger and fire. "I am the single most jealous and selfish female on this planet, and no one touches my mates except me. Tell your oversexed and bloodthirsty girlfriends."