CH 9.2 Camping From Hell

Dex gracefully pulled himself from the chair, his practiced steps carrying him like a silent ghost toward the bed. He knelt at its edge, his delicate frame quavering as he stared into his brother's eyes. His brother flashed a gentle smile. So Dex, in a voice barely above a whisper, asked, "Would our mistress allow me to join you?"

Razz offered his hand to Dex in an invitation, his gentle eyes heavy-lidded. "Our mistress is generous with her protection and her warmth. It would be our honor to soak in it together."

Dex accepted the gesture, clambering into bed next to Razz.

Rile murmured, "But Alex is so easily embarrassed. When her skin glows - like a white-hot ember - stay still and never mention it to her."

"It does not hurt her or drain her and is quite restorative," Razz said. "I believe it is why she enjoys sleeping so much."

Rile scratched his muzzle thoughtfully and hummed. "That's a really interesting point, Razz. Alex said she needs sleep to recharge her powers. That has to be part of the process, right?"

"Perhaps we are helping her? Maybe we are helping her by ensuring that she gets enough rest?" Dex ventured shyly.

Alex stretched her arms and arched her back as she released an exaggerated yawn. Everyone in the room, Rile, Razz, and Dex, stood motionless in a state of shock as she turned her head toward them with half-closed eyes.

"What's up?" she murmured.

"Dex has gained courage to join us," Razz said meekly.

"Good. I don't bite. At least not hard," Alex said with another yawn as she gave them a reassuring smile.

Dex's eyes widened with fear as he asked his mistress, "Mistress, are you happy with Rile back?"

"Of course," Alex said.

"Are you happy you won Razz and myself?" He started shaking again.

She blinked her eyes open and slowly ran her fingers through her hair. "Uhm, very happy. Don't worry about it. You don't have to please me."

"You do know that your friend Cale is safe in Deela's harem, yes?" Dex trembled so hard the bed shook beneath them.

The tension in Alex's shoulders eased, and she reached over Razz to pat Dex's shoulder. "Thanks for the reassurance. I hoped he was."

"Gabe went willingly to Cla," Dex said, his voice quavering. He shut his eyes tight and winced, as if expecting a physical blow.

Alex leaned forward with an expectant look on her face and Rile tensed. "Where are you going with this, Dex?" she asked.

Dex flinched in fear and Razz quickly moved closer, wrapping him up in a hug and whispering soothing words in his tympanum.

"Dex, I'm not angry at all." With a hand that sparkled like the night sky, she stroked his soft head. "I'm curious, not angry," she soothed. "You've never opened up to me this much before. Tell me more."

"I want you to stay here," Dex said in a scared rush. "You have Rile, Razz and myself. We will make you happy. Do not fight in the revolution. The Anolis females on both sides will kill you."

"That had occurred to me," Alex said. "I'm not stupid. Okay, maybe I'm stupid over certain things, but not about vicious Anolis females. They're all lying, sadistic traitors. Why do you think I'm taking Rile with me? He's ten times the warrior I am."

Rile straightened himself up in response, pride shining in his eyes.

"But why would you fight?" Dex wailed. "You have no reason. You have Rile. You have us. Your friends are where they want to be."