CH 6.3 Retrieving Alex

Not for the first time, Zilik cursed his own cleverness. Why did he send Alex to the north? Why not the swamps where the alligators hated the Anolis? Or the rainforest where the Anolis were similarly despised? But why did he think it was a better idea to send her north, where it was unbearably cold?

The chill of the air seeped into his bones despite the heavy layers of winter clothing and the crackling warmth of the campfires. He had to find her today, for he knew he couldn't last another day up in these unforgiving mountains. He briefly wondered if Lok would have been able to fare better, but then dismissed the thought - it wouldn't do to risk Lok's life because of his own foolish choices..

At least the horse didn't care about the cold and trotted obligingly through the dying grass of the plains. He could only hope that Alex had followed his instructions to the letter and kept on northward alongside the river. There was no other chance for them to be reunited.

"Alex," he called out yet again. "It's me, Zilik. I need to talk to you."

"Hang on." Alex swooped down with the agility of a hawk, her fingers grasping Zilik's wrist in an instant. Arrows whizzed past them, slicing through the air as they ascended again. "You were followed," she said firmly, her gaze sweeping across the ground below them. "I saw the ambush from the air."

Zilik chattered incoherently, his long arms, legs, and tail wrapping around her body as they soared through the sky.

"Sorry to surprise you like that," she said, trying to soften the shock of the situation. "But it's better than being shot to pieces."

His voice was low and raspy. "I never... We never knew you could fly."

"Your kind was already freaked out about me. They would have lost their minds if they knew I could fly. I didn't want to be chained down. Now, which way do I go?"

"Huh?" Zilik was still twined around her.

"I'm heading south, but you'll have to direct me. Where should we go?"

"Chameleon City. We'll be safe there. I can hide you. How do we find it from the air?" Zilik sounded more coherent, but still had a death grip on her.

"It won't be easy. I only have this little wrist compass, but we have no other choice. You feel so cold. Best to stay wrapped around me until you warm up."

***

After a few hours, Zilik's breathing evened out, and his energy returned. After sunset, he navigated them to just north of Zilik's.

"You have to keep us alive now," Alex said as they set down in the thick bushes.

Zilik flashed a playful grin. "Staying alive is a Chameleon specialty. Now follow me."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the shadows and into the moonlight. His eyes scanned the park for any witnesses, then he shrugged his shoulders to relax his stance. His fingers intertwined with hers as they emerged onto the city street, walking casually as if nothing had just happened.

Alex squinted in the half-light of the evening, trying to make out the details of Chameleon Quarter's iconic architecture. Red brick buildings stretched skyward, topped with ornate grey cornices and intricately carved statues. Her companion walked slowly, seeming to take in every detail of their surroundings before finally turning his gaze to her.

"What was so important that you risked your life for?" Alex asked.

"It's your friends. According to my sources, they, and the revolution, are in serious trouble."

Alex clenched her jaw in anger. "What contacts? What revolution? So that's what Gabe shut me out of. He thinks he's so tough. I should turn him into the Portal Guardian for disobeying her direct orders."