CH 4.3 Ick! Perverts!

The palatial room was ringed with Anolis guards and onlookers. A huge bed dominated one corner. The Kuni sat on a makeshift throne in another, her armor more elaborate than even Cla's, and a bronze crown of irregular spikes on her head. Cla left Alex to stand beside her queen. Alex looked around, careful to glare at each Anolis female.

What kind of weirdos have a throne and a bed in one room?

"You are the mammal Cla has told me about," the Kuni stated.

"My name is Alex," she said. When several of the guards leveled their spears at her, she added, "You majesty."

"You wish to mate with our kind?" the Kuni asked, idly drumming her claws on the throne's arm.

Alex stared at her, astonished. Cla pulled out her dagger to examine it and Alex's gaze was drawn to her.

What in the world is Cla up to? What should I say? What can I say to frustrate Cla's plans? If I don't have a clue as to her plan, how can I hope to stop it?

"You claim Gabe as a mate?" the Kuni prompted.

"I don't know what to say . . . your majesty."

When in doubt, tell the truth.

"Don't say anything, show us." The Kuni pointed at the enormous bed.

Ick! Perverts!

Alex covered her disgust by a fit of fake coughing. The Kuni motioned and a small Anolis male was brought into the room. He was a deep purple with highlights of silvery blue, lending him a shimmering look. Thin black scars crossed his chest and back, ruining the effect. He was also far shorter than the females and emaciated.

Cla's plan hit Alex with terrible clarity.

There is no right answer. Deny it and Cla has free rein with Gabe. Claim him and I'll have to put on a show where the anatomic incompatibilities will become obvious. Perverts. Can I blast the lot of them? No, there's too many, fire truck it.

The small male was thrown forward and he landed at her feet. Automatically, Alex stooped and helped him up. The top of his head only came to her collarbone. He looked intently into her face, either to read it or to communicate something, but she couldn't tell which.

"I don't think I can," her voice faltered.

"The male displeases her. Kill him," Cla ordered.

A guard drew her knife and advanced on them. Alex shielded the male.

"I didn't say that," Alex said.

The Kuni slammed her fist on her throne. "Then show us."

Alex considered telling them that this was a perversion, but was sure that calling the queen a pervert wasn't the best political move. Alex looked at her hand and an idea came to her. Not the kind that lights up the mind, but the kind that hits the pit of the stomach.

Okay, perverts. Here it comes.

"Very well." Alex turned back to the male and he flinched. "What's your name?"

"Razz." He dropped his gaze to the floor.

"Here." Cla tossed a small, plain knife onto the bed.

Alex raked her with a scornful look. "I won't need that."

Yet ... or for him.

"You don't wish to mark him?" Cla asked in clear surprise.

Before Alex could say anything, Razz took her hand and pulled her close.

"If you mark me, I will be yours," he whispered.

"I don't have to fight for you?" Alex whispered back. "I'm outnumbered here."

"No, they are offering me." He shot Cla a quick, nervous look.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" Alex saw where his gaze had gone.

"You cannot be worse than Cla," he whispered and squeezed her hand tighter.

"Thanks, I think." Alex picked up the knife and nuzzled him to whisper more closely into his tympanum. "What kind of mark?"

"Something distinctive, so that they cannot deny it later."

Alex's mind was a blank. While she was grateful that she wasn't full of ideas about torture, she needed something. She grasped the knife and looked at Razz. On closer inspection, his chest was littered with scars, not just the few that Alex had seen at first and more anger welled in her chest. Taking a deep breath, she pressed the knife to a blank spot.

"Harder, it must leave a scar." He was still whispering. When she hesitated, he gave her an odd look. "Please continue, it is all right."

Alex cut fast. She hated herself for carving an "A" but it was her only idea. Razz stiffened and hissed with pain. Immediately, Alex put a glowing hand on the wound, numbing it. The feel of his blood grieved her.

Those Anolis females will pay for forcing his blood on my hands.

"What are you doing?" Two spoke the same question. The Kuni sounded curious, Cla, angry.

"You wanted to see how my kind mates." The 'm' word stuck in her throat. "So sit back and watch."

Alex was embarrassed, furious, and glad that she had finally thought of something. She would give them a show, but it wouldn't be what they wanted. She slid her glowing hand upward, up Razz's throat, caressed his head, and came down his chest again. His expression was one of pure wonder.

She traced a glowing line down his arm and took his hand. She drew him down onto the bed beside her, outlining his body with that sparkling hand. When she finished, she placed her hand on his chest and the light flared. He arched his back and went limp. No one spoke for a moment.

"Are you okay?" Alex whispered but Razz only gazed at her, stunned. Alex sat up and straightened her clothes, all business. "That was the show. I'm done. With your leave, majesty." Alex dragged Razz up beside her and put a steadying arm around his shoulders.

"No! That can't be it!" Cla's outrage was eminently satisfying to Alex. "You only gave pleasure to the male. You received nothing."

Alex chewed her lip.

Now what? Think of something convincing to tell the perverts.

"The power flows both ways," she said as it popped into her mind. "It's fulfilling."

Cla sneered. "Perhaps it was some bizarre sort of alien mammal pleasure, but it was not mating."

I should have known that I couldn't outsmart Cla.

Alex was tired, angry, and embarrassed. She only cared about getting out of there and one more thing.

"Is Razz mine or not?" she demanded, tightening her arm around him.

I'm leaving with him, one way or another. His blood is on my hands and I'll repay them for that in spades.

Cla started to deny it, but the Kuni held up a hand. "Yes, but you still have not answered our question," the Kuni said.

I'm done. I can't do anymore, can't humiliate myself any further, can't fight this badly outnumbered.

"Your majesty, this is all I can do. I'm not physically compatible with your kind. Please let me go with Razz." Alex hated to beg, but she didn't see another choice.

Gabe is on his own now. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it, dragon boy.

The Kuni dismissed them with a wave of a clawed hand. Alex didn't want to look at Cla, to see if she was happy or angry, but she did. Her heart sank further when she saw Cla's smugness.

Another round to Cla.