CH 8.1 Building a Harem?

Sleep improved Alex's mood, and she awoke cheery, even with her morning confusion. She felt comforted by Razz, who had snuggled close to her in the night. He looked up at her with big, round eyes filled with love and affection. Rile didn't dare move yet thanks to long experience with her morning-muddled mind.

After a few moments of watching Razz, Alex finally shook his head slowly, as if shaking away the confusion. Her voice was quiet but firm when she spoke. "Razz needs help. Where is the salve for his neck wound?"

Razz gestured toward the cabinet. "It should be in there. I put it back after Zilik took it. Do you wish me to get it?"

"Yes, please." Alex pushed herself up and winced as she tried to stretch. "Don't worry, I'll numb the wound before I apply the medicine."

Razz slid out of bed and retrieved the blue crystal jar. He handed it to Alex, who passed it on to Rile, who stirred awake and propped himself up on an elbow. Alex smiled warmly at Razz and gave him a nod of encouragement as she patted the space next to her with a hand that shimmered like spun gold. Without saying a word, Razz hopped up onto the cozy bed. Alex treated his neck. The pretty gold flashes twinkled as they either sank into the healing wound or bounced on the bed before dying.

At length, Alex gently tugged at the edge of the gash, examining it carefully. Seeing no reaction from Razz, she gave a small nod to Rile, who quickly opened the jar and handed it to her. Alex scooped out white cream with her finger and applied it delicately to the wound, applying enough pressure for even coverage.

Alex stopped her work and looked to Razz expectantly. "What's on the agenda then? You always seem to know what's going on."

Razz shifted on the bed, not meeting her gaze. "My brother's mate, Kir, is here, a minor dignitary in the Kuni's court. She has come to challenge you to a duel."

Alex bristled with suspicion as she absorbed this news. "She won't challenge me for Rile, will she?"

Razz said, "By law, no one can challenge you for him for at least a month, longer if the Kuni says so."

Rile gave him an unamused stare and replied, "Hurray," in a deadpan voice.

Alex's grinned wryly. "I'm not exactly in her favor."

"Please." Razz's plea was accompanied by his tiny hand squeezing her arm. "Please save my brother."

Alex closed her eyes and groaned, stretching out her arms as if she'd already given up. "How big is his mate? Is this what you were thinking would kill me? Like I said, there are more important things to kill me in line ahead of that. Do you want me to fight in that revolution or not?"

"Kir is not large and no obstacle to you fighting in the revolution. While she thinks much of her fighting ability, she is no Cla. You can best her easily. Kir cannot be too sure of herself, for she brought my brother, the least of her mates. She will only issue a traditional challenge, not one to the death. Watch how she favors her right hand and her left foot is missing its smallest claw. You can make her stumble on it."

Alex grudgingly conceded defeat with a muttered, "Zilik will kill me himself if I keep challenging females for their mates,"

"She beats him terribly."

"Why didn't you say do in the first place? I'm finished here so let's go," Alex smiled a terrible smile. "I love handing bullies their due."

Rile leaned over and whispered in her ear, "Softie."

Alex wrinkled her nose, but couldn't help the grin that tugged at her lips. "You'd do the same, Guardian of the Universe. You're coming with me to watch my back. These so-called warriors love ambushes." Alex strapped on her scabbard and sword.