CH 10.2 Just When You Think You've Won...

The former palace males moved in unison, shuffling solemnly towards the carriages waiting at the edge of the entrance. The flagstones they crossed were grey and weathered, rough to the touch and chipped from years of wear. As they approached, the carriages' wood slats seemed like scales on a fish, their surfaces carved by time and weather rather than painted and smooth. The woody scent of sandalwood hung in the air, as if it had been placed for them to enjoy one final moment before departing.

As the males entered the carriage one by one, each greeted Alex with affectionate swipes of his muzzle against her cheek. At Razz's signal, she opened her hands and offered them a handful of opals and star sapphires, which they accepted gracefully. She noticed that many had brought along large satchels filled to the brim with carefully wrapped eggs cradled on a bed of warm sand.

Trac shuffled to the back of the line, his sling filled with tiny sleeping bundles of his and Razz's babies. Trac wiped away Alex's tears before softly nuzzling her neck.

"Tears? You are sad?" He asked gently, his voice warm and laced with concern.

"No," she said, sniffling slightly as a fresh wave of emotion enveloped her. "I'm very happy."

"Tears mean sadness, rage and happiness? That's confusing."

Alex ran her hand along the smooth leather of his back and breathed in the scent of warm earth and treasure. She smiled sadly at him and replied, "You don't know the half of it."

Trac stepped back to smile up at her before he hugged Razz one last time and then swung up into the lead carriage.

Alex poked her head in. "Name a baby after me," she said, her voice full of laughter.

A chorus of agreement came from within the carriage, and then with a jolt the wheels began to move. The sound of gravel crunching beneath them filled the air, followed by the clip clop of horses' hooves as they galloped into the

Alex watched as the carriages rumbled off, her heart heavy with uncertainty. She felt a gentle hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Zilik's deep black eyes studying her.

         "Where will you go now?" he asked softly.

         "I don't know," she replied, glancing away. "I assumed that when we were done, the portal back home would open."

         Razz spoke up from behind Alex. "Will you consider staying with me until it does?"

         Zilik added quietly, his grip on Alex's shoulder lightly tightening as he did so. "Us."

         They looked so much like wistful kids that Alex laughed and hugged them. "I'd love to. It would be my choice to stay here. But I don't know if I have a choice. It's complicated."

"Will I ever see you again if you leave?" Zilik asked.

         Gabe walked up behind Alex. "No. That's not how it works." Gabe's eyes narrowed and his gaze was hard as he asked, "Now do you understand?"

         Alex's neck craned up to meet Gabe's stern expression. She swallowed and nodded her head. "Yes. I do."

         Zilik stepped closer, curiosity painted across his face. "What was that about?"

         Alex watched Gabe's retreating back until he disappeared around the corner before answering. "He was telling me goodbye," she said after a brief pause. Her lips stretched into a thin line of irritation. "As well as a snotty 'I told you so' about relationships."

Jerk. I just saved his ungrateful reptilian rear.

"He's not coming back with you?" Zilik asked.

Alex considered. "That's a better question than you know, Zilik. I assumed we'd all go back together, but he's not from my world. They were sent as Guardians to my world. I suppose they could return to their own home without me." A chill seeped into her stomach and spread through her core until she felt frozen.