𝖑𝖛. a master of deception

chapter fifty-five

chapter fifty-five.
( a master of deception )

              ASCELLA BLACK WAS STUBBORN, AND RELENTLESSLY so

              ASCELLA BLACK WAS STUBBORN, AND RELENTLESSLY so. She could hold grudges until the end of time, some saying that pettiness was her virtue, but Ascella revelled in it. She liked holding something over someone's head, being the one to hold the strings to the puppet, to have control. It wasn't exactly easy, being so duplicitous, but, when she was, it worked. She was an incredible witch with magic many yearned for, and manipulation sparking from her fingertips.

              But, as much as she wished she were, Ascella Black wasn't the only deceptive person that roamed the world. There were many — some more discreet than her — whilst others were more obvious, their inner motives much more clearer than they presumed. Ascella was observant, always watching those she didn't trust with a sharp eye, taking note of their calculating movements.

              Albus Dumbledore was no exception to that.

              In fact, Ascella watched him more than she did anyone else. She read between his words, analysing every sentence he let out, scouring them for a deeper meaning. She took note in her mind of what he did, how he did it, and, most importantly, why he did it. She wasn't one that viewed her Headmaster as how others chose to — powerful, exceptional and brilliant — but, she couldn't deny, he was incredibly talented at the moves he made. Like chess, Albus Dumbledore would always be the one that would capture the king, and ultimately rule all.

              So, inevitably, Ascella had to be better. And, determined as she was, would come out on top, dismissive of any prophecies that defied her. Dumbledore would crumble at her feet, and Ascella would watch with a smile.

              She climbed the stairs to his office, dreading any moment she was forced to endure with the older man. Typically, he spoke in cryptic riddles that were supposed to have meaning to Ascella, or deter from whatever path she was due to take. It was almost eery, how Dumbledore spoke to her, as if he knew something she didn't, and he was dangling it in front of her face, patiently waiting for her to snap and loose her mind.