VII

Here lies, Deruth Henituse. The Duke of the Henituse Duchy and the Leader of the Northeast.

Cause of Death: Murder by an Ancient Dragon.

Deruth continued to pray to whatever god he could think of. He mistook the handsome golden-haired knight brought by his son in the first chapter for a normal-to-slightly-monstrous man. He should've expected the worse variety from his son's collection.

His son.

His gorgeous redhead son.

Has a very strange collection that would make anyone go "Mama Mia" for the sake of good ol' fuck.

His son's preferences are fairly consistent.

Men who are attractive—problematic guys with traumatic histories.

"Lord Dragon..."

"Eruhaben."

What a voice! How come you're so young?! You could even be my great great great great great great great great to the infinity grandfather.

This is the literal meaning of Grandpa-I'd-Like-to-Fuck—or something Deruth wanted to say but couldn't.

Hah. It's admirable that he made the effort to reconnect with his son.

He gathered all his courage and looked the dragon in the eyes.

"I'm sorry," the chicken-like voice says. His voice croaked in fear before he backed down and averted his gaze.

Deruth Henituse! The man who had no fear of anyone! He's not afraid of anything, not even a dragon! He is capable of facing anything, including the seas and mountains.

Okay, let's try it again.

He exhales and speaks in a tiny tiny voice.

"What do you think of Cale?"

Oh, fuck it Deruth?! Why are you backing down? You should be able to face death for the sake of your motherfucking son! You pathetic son of a b*tch!

He continued to cry internally while watching the Dragon, who seemed unconcerned about his presence.

He wouldn't be surprised if he died after this guy left the room..

"How do I feel about that Unlucky Bastard?"

The coldness of Deruth's voice made him shiver.

"I'd like to know about these insignificant emotions called love by humans."

What?

Deruth looked at the Dragon, who was smiling at the cup of tea he was holding. His eyes were dreamy, and his smile was calm.

"Perhaps... I've become foolish."

*dugdug.*

Okay, heart, pay attention! Don't beat yourself up every time some sure-fire love quotes are thrown your way.

He wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who falls for them..

Deruth simply went and mentally slapped himself.

"Perhaps I simply despise the fact that he belongs to someone else."

Oh, my ghad! Heart! Don't give up just yet! You should ask this grandfather more questions!

Deruth's panic continued.

Nonetheless, he responded, "You have all the time in the world."

"I wish I had."

The dragon's expression appeared melancholy. Deruth remembered the person Cale had mentioned would die soon. Then he is—

"Lord Eruhaben," I said naturally, "thank you for thinking about Cale."

To accomplish something that no human can do was a feat in and of itself, and one that Cale can only accomplish.

The dragon remained silent. He simply smiled.

"Of course, there's no future with someone who's dying. That unlucky bastard must find someone who can live a long life with him," Eruhaben said.

That devotion, that simple affection that only these creatures can provide. Deruth remembered the dragon legends. It is said that once they fall in love, they will remain in love with that person forever..

Being able to fall in love with only one person.

"You must have a difficult life."

"Not at all; he's just an unlucky bastard who requires constant attention."

"He's a pain in the neck."

"He always puts his life in danger."

"He's not even concerned with himself."

"He's clearly a suicidal maniac..." Eruhaben said, "but... it's that trait that made him the most lovely."

No one would risk their lives to save the life of a person on the brink of impending death.

That must be the reason why Eruhaben fell in love.

"Please continue to watch over him."

"Perhaps until the end of this life," Eruhaben said, smiling. He's not even here to fight; he's here to help Deruth keep pests at bay.

This Dragon was well aware of what he desired and what he could not have.

Deruth felt like crying. He felt bad for this dragon, but seeing him smile as he looked out the window at Cale and the children made Deruth realize what he was doing.

A thousand-year-old life up against a new bud.

"It's not wrong to love; it's wrong not to say it."

"I'll keep that in mind," Eruhaben said as he looked at him."

"I'll confess before this life ends... Thank you for your time," the ancient dragon said as he stood up.

"No, it is I who should be grateful," Deruth replied.

The dragon left. Deruth sensed sadness behind that smile, but the dragon had no regrets.

He simply wanted to be by Cale's side, nothing more, nothing less.

"I guess I've found a new favorite."

Unlike the food war, that kind of love is difficult to find.

Love is not an easy thing to give or receive.

It's always the most difficult and painful thing to have.

"I'll be cheering for you, Grandpa Dragon."

Deruth started fangirling over fuck's real thing.

TBC