Casting Call

Paige's world almost fell apart when her letter said:

"Ms. Dakota Paige David, we regret to inform you that your travel loan has been declined."

A travel loan was her last hope. Her last chance that can help her rise from her financial crisis. ASAP.

Paige earned a scholarship to study at a university in New York City, USA.

And she needs to migrate in three months.

Not only that, her happily-ever-after also awaits in New York.

Her happy-ever-after is to finally be with Kent, to work in the States and start a better life.

Kent Morales has always been Paige's uptight, long distance boyfriend. He needs everything to be perfect: the total opposite of Paige's clumsy life.

But Kent has started to cut the communication with Paige for almost a month now.

Their story used to be intense with love.

Kent used to visit Paige once a year. Until he started feeling really hurt by the long distance.

Now? Everything is down spiraling.

Paige struggled with self-supporting recently and at the same time, she wanted to fix the gap in her long distance relationship that Kent isn't happy about anymore.

With this loan disapproval, there is officially no other solution that could fix her problems in just three months.

There is nothing that a part-time job could do anymore.

Paige only works as an emergency responder and a part-time wedding pianist just to earn money for her New York dreams.

The only thing that kept her going was the idea of her own wedding with Kent in the U.S.

But that, too, seems out of reach for now.

Paige comes home to her apartment and rants to her best friend.

"Oh diba? Sabi sayo too good to be true pa for now eh." (See? I told you it's too good to be true for now.)

Her best friend just looks at her empathetically and doesn't say anything.

Paige only smiles.
"Hala bakit ganyan ka makatingin? Okay lang yan! Yaan mo na. Someday, pag madami na tayo pera, sasama ka sakin sa bahay namin ni Kent." (Hey. Why the long face? It's okay! Don't worry. Someday, when we earn enough, I'm taking you with me and Kent.)

Paige gives her best friend a rub on the back even if she's the one who needs it more
"Tyaka madami pa tayo gusto i-try dito sa Pinas, diba? Para bago tayo mag New York, ma-try muna natin yung mga nightlife sa BGC! Mapractice practice naman natin makipag english sa mga sheesh shoti perehhh. Diba? Diba? " (Besides, we still have a bucketlist of experiences here in the Philippines before we move to New York. We still haven't tried the night life at BGC! Where we can practice our english skills with people who talks like 'Sheesh...dude'. Right? Right?"

Paige's best friend just stares at her.

And then barks.

Paige's one and only best friend is her dog, Milo, a tiny-legged brown dachshund with a round belly.

Milo just sticks a tongue out as if to mock her.

"Yan ka nanaman ah? Inaasar mo nanaman ako! Takaw takaw mo kasi kaya di tayo nakakaipon eh!" (There you go again, huh? You're bullying me! It's you who eats too much around here that's why we couldn't save enough money!)

Paige teases Milo and then laughs unproblematically.

Paige turns the speakers on and plays the SB19 song "MAPA" on Spotify. It has become her favorite song ever since it was released.

The song reminds Paige to tell her mom not to worry about her. Because someday, Paige promises to be able to give back.