Work Perks

Matthew is sitting on the bed next to me, and I want to say something to him, but I don't know what to say. So, I ask, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he answers, "There really isn't a scratch on me."

"That wasn't bad for your first hunt, you know," I smile.

"What was yours like?" Matthew asks.

"Well, I guess that technically, it was a ghost hunt in Tennessee. Nothing major in itself, but afterward I was having some side effects from all of the demon nonsense," I shrug, "Basically, I just had a vision."

"Oh, so you can see the future?" he asks.

"Well, selectively. It only happens when my body feels it," I try to explain.

He furrows his brows and then says, "Oh."

"What?" I ask, curious.

"It's just that if you could see the future, I would ask you a few things," he shrugs.

"Well I could try but that would mean I would have a seizure," I laugh lightly.

"In that case, I guess I don't need to see the future," Matthew smiles.

Thinking back to this morning, I ask Matthew, "Did you stare at me when my towel fell off? Be honest."

Matthew's face turns red, and he starts stuttering, "I-I-I s-sort of did, I guess..."

"That's fine. If I end up dying, at least you have that memory of me!" I laugh.

"Wait, what?" Matthew asks, stunned that I'm not mad.

"I said it's okay. Besides, it's nothing that other people haven't seen before," I giggle.

Matthew then says under his breath, "I am such a virgin."

"You're a virgin? How?" I ask.

Matthew sarcastically replies, "I haven't had sex yet, duh."

Feeling bold, I say, "Well, if I'm gonna die soon, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else but you before that happens."

Matthew gets even more red in the face, and he sputters, "R-really? Are you sure? I mean, you hit your head pretty hard, I don't know how well Cas healed you, and I just don't know if you would regret it or -"

"Matthew. It's okay. If you don't want to, then that's fine. I deal with that!" I smile.

"No, I want to, I just wanted to make sure you were...really, really sure," Matthew replies.

I start to take off my shirt, but then Matthew takes if off the rest of the way, followed by his own shirt. He starts to kiss me, and then he leaves a few hickeys on my collarbone. Before I know it, my pants are off too, and I'm sitting in his lap wearing nothing but lingerie.

"I love you," he says, looking into my eyes.

Kissing him on the cheek, I whisper, "I love you, too."

I don't ever want to forget this night.

The Next Day...

I wake up in Matthew's arms, my bare body feeling cold against the sheets. Not wanting to wake him, I take his arms off of me, and then I quietly leave the bed. I can't help but feel like something isn't quite right this morning. I feel...different.

I walk into the bathroom and put on my clothes. Only after I look in the mirror do I realize what's different.

It happened sooner than I thought it would...my eyes are pitch black.

Without thinking, I take my bag and run. Matthew is just starting to wake up when I rush out the door. He comes out of the motel room wearing some shorts, and he's yelling for me to stop. As he reaches the car, I back up, and then speed away. He tries to chase me, but he can't.

I drive all the way to Anaheim from Hollywood, and I get my own motel room there. As soon as I lock the door behind me, I fall to the floor and start crying. No, this can't be happening. I don't want my soul to be gone. I shouldn't be able to have this many feelings. I can't do this.

Taking out my demon knife, I point it towards my heart, and right as it begins to pierce my skin, Ruby shows up and takes it out of my hands.

"What the hell are you doing?" Ruby asks.

"I was trying to end myself. Can you let me continue?" I ask.

"No. We can fix this," Ruby says.

"No, we can't! Not even Cas can fix me!" I scream, punching Ruby in the face and getting my knife back. I threateningly put it towards my throat.

"Okay, listen. There is a way to fix this. We need two angels, a surgeon, and one of the flaming swords from the angels guarding the Garden of Eden," Ruby says.

"How do you suggest that we get a sword from a cherub in Eden? We don't even know where Eden is!" I scoff.

"The angels do. That's why we need two of them. Eden is now in Heaven, and the flaming swords are there, too. I suggest that both Cas and Hannah can go up there to get the sword," Ruby explains. I slowly remove the knife from my neck.

"And why do we need a surgeon?" I ask.

"While you were in that torture chamber with Lucifer, part of the reason why he was cutting into you was so that he could not only sneak demon blood into you, but also so that he could hide three things in your wounds, all of which are in tiny jars," Ruby says, "One contained a feather from Lucifer's wings, the second contained a piece of Lucifer's soul, and the third contained some of Lucifer's blood. With all of those things inside you, Lucifer is leeching his way into your mind and into your body. He won't be able to fully possess you without your consent, but from what I see, he's pretty damn close."

"So the bastard is locked up in a cage in Hell but he's still able to do this to me?" I ask. Ruby nods. "When's the soonest that we can do this?"

"As soon as the boys find you."