Rubies Are a Hunter's Best Friend

Oh. Ruby. I remember her.

She is a lot like me, in the way that she's a sarcastic bitch and her sense of style is amazing. Of course she would be the first demon to hop inside my body; not only does she know me, but she apparently knows Sam and Dean.

"Ruby?" Dean says, astonished.

"Yes. It's me. What the hell happened to Lydia? Why did she resort to begging to become a meat suit?" Ruby asks through my lips.

"I'd imagine it's pretty obvious. None of us wanted her to go back to Hell, and there are sigils everywhere in here that get rid of angels," Sam says, "Can you keep Lucy from falling apart until we can get to where Cas can fix her?"

"Yeah, I can. Hold on a second, she's being really quiet. Are you still in there?" Ruby replies.

"Yeah, I'm here. Thanks, Ruby, for saving me," I say through my own lips. Then, Ruby takes back her control of my body.

"Good. Okay, so, how long is this going to take? Are you sure she can survive this?" Ruby asks, lifting up our shirt to reveal a huge gash in my body.

"When Cas gets here, we should be fine," Dean reassured everyone.

"Alright," Ruby says as we begin walking, "How long is it gonna be until I can get back to my original meat suit?"

Dean rolls his eyes a little bit. "Soon enough. Geez, it's only gonna be like one car ride and then you're done."

"Fine. It's just that these bloodstained clothes aren't very Chanel, if you know what I mean," Ruby retaliates with more sass.

Ruby sits me in the back of the Impala, crossing her legs as she does so. Sam and Dean sit in the front as usual.

"Listen, kid, I don't know what sort of lies they're gonna tell you when we get to whatever run down motel we're going to, but here's the facts: there is a chance you might not survive this. It's not a huge chance, considering that an angel will be able to heal you, but there is a chance nonetheless. When I smoke out of you, all of the pain you were feeling before I got here is suddenly gonna start again. You're gonna bleed more. You might scream some. Lydia, this is going to be difficult. I'm choosing not to sugar coat it because you need to know what you're getting into. Are you okay with that?" Ruby asks in my mind.

"Yes, I am. I know there's a chance it won't work. I'm not bothered by my odds, though, because there's nothing for me to worry about now. I've died before, it's no big deal," I confirm, adding humor to the situation. I hear Ruby's laugh echo in my head.

When we pull in to the motel, Dean tosses Ruby a coat to cover up my bloodstained clothes. We all exit the Impala, and walk up to our motel room. Dean and Sam still seem sort of wary about Ruby, but I suppose they think if there's a demon that is good, Ruby's the one. Besides, the boys don't want to piss her off and have me killed in the process.

Personally, I'm tired, but Ruby isn't. I force myself to stay awake. Dean and Sam are trying to call and pray to Castiel, since he's the only one that can fix me. In the meantime, I ask Ruby to clean my wound and change my clothes. She's happy to oblige, since she's probably dying to get out of clothing soaked in my blood. As she gets in the bathroom and takes off all of my clothes, I can see my figure in the mirror. My side is totally screwed over due to the fire axe. Ruby then takes a cold, damp, wet cloth to my wound, and in no time, my blood is gone. Demons like her have a bit of a healing capability for their meat suits, but it takes a long time and it doesn't always look pretty. Basically, if a possessed person gets injured, the only thing keeping them from dying is a special glue known as the demon living inside of them.

The cut is so deep that you can see my rib bone. I can see my stomach muscles move with every breath that Ruby takes for me.

"Pretty bad, huh, kid?" Ruby asks in a low voice. I tell her yes, yes it is.

"When's the soonest that Castiel can be back?" Ruby asks as she returns to the main part of the motel room.

"Dean finally got a hold of him. Cas will be here in about an hour. How is Lucy?" Sam asks Ruby.

"She's fine," Ruby replies through my lips.

"Good," Dean says, "How does she look?"

Ruby lifts up my shirt and shows them the gash in my side. Sam and Dean's faces fall at the sight of just how deep it is, but they are certain Cas can fix it in no time. I don't doubt Cas's abilities myself, but there are some things that just can't be fixed.

"Hello, Ruby," a voice says behind Ruby and I. Ruby turns my body around quickly.

"Oh, Castiel. You're finally here," Ruby smirks. God, Ruby. Be nice to him; he's my friend.

"Can you fix Lucy?" Dean asks Cas.

"Let me see her wounds first," Cas replies. Ruby lifts up my shirt again to reveal the gash.

"Yes, this should be no problem. I have to do it quick, though, without Ruby in her body," Cas informs everyone.

"So Ruby smokes out, and you try to heal Lucy before she nearly bleeds out again?" Dean asks, trying to sort everything out.

"Precisely," Cas nods.

"Okay. Are you ready now? I'll be back here in my original meat in a few minutes," Ruby raises an eyebrow.

"Yes. I am," Cas confirms.

"Okay, kid. You'll be alright," Ruby says as a last word. Then, our screams combine as she leaves my body. I feel all of Ruby's strength leave me, and then I fall to the floor with weakness. My blood begins to flow out of my wound again. Ruby is back in the room in her other meat suit in a matter of seconds. Cas kneels down and puts his fingers on my forehead. Since my wounds are so big, I can feel it taking longer than usual to heal. My blood still manages to escape me, and now I know what Ruby meant when she said that I might not survive this.

"Cas, you have to hurry, she's nearly bled out!" Sam yells. He's right. The whole room is tense with worry. Dean refuses to look my way, and Ruby can't help but stare with an open mouth.

I feel my blood slip through my fingers, and I feel the flow decreasing. I'm not sure if it's because the wound is closing or if it's because I'm losing that much blood.

I black out before I can make a determination.