6.02.23

Hey, folks!

So, for whatever reason, people still read this book. And for some other unknown reason, this book is almost at three million reads and 100k+ votes. And don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate all of y'all for checking this little novel out, for the supportive comments & tears and love. This book is somehow one of the most successful things I've ever done and that's wildly depressing as a 21 year old uni dropout but - irrelevant. It means a lot that people loved this story so much, it meant the world as a 15 year old when I wrote it and it still means everything now.

But I absolutely HATE the way this is written. It's not, like, bad, but it's not good either. The plot is messy, the writing isn't great, the characters are very hit and miss and it could be so much better. And every time I see someone new say they're giving this story a try I cringe wildly and feel terrible for them. Again, I appreciate that you WANT to, but subjecting yourself to this story...I'm so sorry, and I feel like you're owed compensation of some sort.

I've wanted to rewrite this for ages and I actually started rewriting this, working very slowly on it in a Google Docs from time to time. Just for myself. But my question is, would you want to see a better, actually adequately written Little Spy? Or an attempt at one? 

And if so, do you want a completely separate, new version? Or just for this to get rewritten and completely replaced? I don't want to take this down completely if people are attached to this version - and I'll be honest, I am a little too, even with all its flaws - but I also don't know if anyone is interested in a rewritten version in 2023.

So. Whoever reads this. Let me know please, if I should abandon my little side pieces over on AO3 and commit my time to a refurbished Little Spy, six plus years after it's first emergence. If you'd like to read that or not. Or just keep this dumpster fire of a fic as is.

Thanks, folks!

Elle :)