[15]

I WAS BEGINNING TO DESPISE PETER PARKER.

That was a complete lie, for a part of me had hated him from the start. His bewildered, innocent confusion, the way he stammered and played dumb at all of my questions, the fact that he could do whatever he wanted and be friends with billionaires without trying - for many girls and guys alike, that would be a thing of envy, but to me, it was nothing more than irritating.

However, as I bolted down the street, trying to follow the tracker on my phone and cursing his name to the heavens, there was only one reason I hated the Parker boy; he was getting too fast for me to keep up with. If only there was some way I could magically swing up there with him, or at least not have to work twice as hard to get half of the distance.

Jamming my heel into the ground to slide to a halt, I watched from a distance as the boy slid a mask on and raced out to go do his 'job'. He limped a little on his right foot, and I frowned at the sight, realising that this already wasn't going to be a fair fight.

"Dammit, Peter," I hissed through gritted teeth, pulling myself up on a ledge to watch the action unfold, "you're an idiot. You know that? A damn idiot."

He couldn't hear me, and I was more than fine with that. However, though I could care less about the boy himself, the condition he was in was troubling. If he was less then in perfect health while fighting someone like the lightning man, who didn't even seem to be trying, he had a greater chance to fail. And though he swung and flipped on the webs procured by a hidden mechanism on his suit, I could tell he was tired. Being tired in a fight was never good.

It still kept his humour intact, however, as he zoomed through the streets to meet the threat he had been called for. I could hear him faintly, giving little 'woo-hoos' and waving to the people who stared up at him in total and complete awe. Fool; he wasn't taking this seriously, definitely not as serious as he should be. A fight to the death, in his mind, seemed more like a walk in the park.

"Hello fellows," he cried, springing into action and stopping in front of a group of obvious troublemakers, "going somewhere?"

One of the thieves, a tall burly man with tattoos all over his arms and neck and really, any skin exposed, chortled at the smaller kid in the suit. "Look, here's the spider kid! Oh, damn, I'm so scared! What you gonna do, little guy? Guess you better r-"

He never got the chance to finish his mocking and moronic speech, for in an instant the fight had begun, with the Parker boy flying towards him and throwing him against the opposing wall - gently, for whatever reason, and making sure he didn't hurt himself too bad. Interesting how he fought; when pinning them down, it was only ever to hold them down, not kill them. It didn't make sense to me because it left too many openings and opportunities for things to go wrong, but he didn't stop to think about the negatives of his positive actions.

"Seriously, guys," he wheezed, whipping away from a badly-thrown fist, "it's Spiderman! S-P-I-D-E-R-M-A-N. Come on, what's a guy gotta do to get that in your head?"

I cursed the boy under my breath, sliding to get a better look and watching him joke around while easily taking care of the group. He was so positive and cheerful and goofy while doing this; it was like he had been transformed into a totally different person, and I didn't understand it. The boy I knew and had been assigned to watch was quiet and shy and talked about Star Wars and got picked apart by guys he could easily take care of, while Spiderman was peppy and goofy and while he saved the day he got in a few badly thrown jokes. If I didn't know the truth of who was behind the mask, I wouldn't believe it, for they were two completely opposite people.

It only took mere minutes for 'Spiderman' to clear up the scene, and after the men were tied up and sirens began to sound in the distance, honing into the situation, the few people who had gathered to watch cheered and congratulated the boy. He was a neighbourhood hero once again, and though he refused to take off his mask or reveal himself like so many requested, he still revelled in it, waving and flipping away as the cheers sounded - acting like a celebrity in the midst of forty or so children and elderly women.