Ch 14 |•| Thunder storm

Clara adjusted her bag on her shoulder as she begrudgingly trudged towards the large building. Her stomach was filled with butterflies as anxiety swirled through her like a storm.

She bit her lip in anticipation of what her friends were going to say. Would they even want to be her friend anymore? They didn't seem like they were mad at her. And they had been messaging her making sure she was ok.

She took a deep breath. She was worrying for nothing. They were nice people surely they wouldn't turn on her for something out of her control.

But what if they knew she was lying to them? We're they even really friends? They hadn't really spoken much. Maybe it meant more to her than it did to them. She felt her heart begin to slowly drop at the thought. Did they find her annoying? Her breathing began to pick up slightly as her eyes widened.

She was hurled out of her thoughts when she felt two bodies barrel into her making her let out a wince as she pulled away wrapping her arms around her ribs. She looked over to see Amelia and Carolina staring at her with guilty faces as they immediately pulled away.

"Oh god we're sorry! I'm just so glad you're back. We missed you so much!" Amelia exclaimed. Clara hesitantly returned their smiles as she stepped back slightly.

"That's ok." She said with a small smile.

"Do your ribs still hurt that bad?" Carolina said her eyebrows furrowing in concern.

Clara felt her heart beat slowly begin to return to normal. They weren't acting like they found her annoying. Surely if they didn't like her they wouldn't approach her.

She felt her shoulders slowly relax as her fake smile turned real. "They feel a lot better now." Her friends smiled almost twice as wide before coming around and linking their arms.

The three began to walk.

"Did you guys see the news this morning?" Carolina started attaining the attention of the two by her side. "Apparently there's going to be this huge thunderstorm tonight." She said with a shrug making Clara tense up.

She was terrified of thunderstorms. She had always hated them. Since she was a little girl. Before her mother had died she used to sit with her all night holding her close as she gently rubbed her back. But her mom was gone.

She was left with a man who couldn't care less about her. She was left alone to shiver under her covers in fear.

"Are you sure?" She asked leaning over Amelia to see Carolina.

"Mhm, It was even in the newspapers. Apparently it's going to be a very bad one. They're urging people to stay home." She said making Clara all the more anxious.

She didn't say anything after that. She simply walked beside her friends as they drifted off into mindless chatter.

She got lost in her thoughts as memories of her mother came wafting through like a tidal wave. She really missed her.

Perhaps that's why she felt so close to Lorenzo. He greatly resembled their mother. From his hair right down to his nose.  Not to mention at times the way he held her reminded her of the way her mother used to hold her. She took a deep breath as the three made their way towards their first class. They had a few classes together here and there.

She had the most classes with Keenan. He seemed to be following her around. She was lucky though. She had someone to sit with in every class.

Though she wasn't used to it. She never had that before. All she had was herself. No one wanted to be friends with the idiot who couldn't even read. Not to mention Andrew would never let her. He had caught her talking to a friend once and the beating she had received that day had been engraved into her mind.