Chapter 4 - New Dawn

There is less than an hour left until the meeting with Orine. Tired from exercising, Hiro decided to leave the house to make it to his training on time. He opened the gate, looking to the right. - Yabe (oh no), I didn't return the bike to the rental shop - he said. Next to him, there was a bike leaning against the fence. - Still here? Strange that no one took it - he thought as he got on the bike and rode towards the university. - First, I'll stop by the rental shop and see what's going on at the university - Hiro wondered if others had heard about the incident.

After less than fifteen minutes, he was close to the entrance gate.
- What's going on there? - two black cars were parked next to the entrance. Hiro stopped, observing the surroundings. - I'll return the bike first, then see what happened - he got off the bike and walked towards the rental shop. He placed the bike back in its spot and approached the owner's office.
- Ojama shi-masu (Excuse me for intruding) - he said loudly as he entered the small building. - Is anyone here? - he looked around but didn't see anyone. - Maybe he fell asleep again? - the boy approached the counter across from the entrance. - Mr. Takeru, are you here? - he said, trying to get the attention of the shopkeeper.
Suddenly, the figure of an older man jumped out from under the counter.
- Bwaaaa! - he exclaimed.
- AAA! - Hiro screamed, falling to the floor. The sudden appearance of the shopkeeper nearly gave him a heart attack.
- Why do you have such a serious expression, Hiro? - the old man said, laughing heartily.
- I thought no one was here - replied the youngster, slowly getting up.
- You could have said something at least.
- I just fell asleep. No one came to rent a bike or buy anything for a few days - he said, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.
- No one came? That's impossible. Many students rent bikes or scooters. The lucky ones like Daichi who have a car are in the minority - he thought.
- Are you worried about my business? - the shopkeeper said, leaning against the counter. - As if I needed a kid thinking about the condition of my store.
Takeru is a 73-year-old man who has been running the business for forty years. He usually wears a pink shirt and blue suit pants. He deals with bike and scooter rentals, sells groceries, and does minor repairs. Hiro discovered his shop when he started going to university. Since then, he would visit every day, even if he didn't rent a bike, he would buy food. Takeru often talked to him about school and life situations. His grandparents passed away when he was ten years old, and conversations with the shopkeeper reminded him of those he had with his grandfather.
- It's hard to believe that no one came - the boy replied, resting his hand on his hip.
- Ever since the men in suits arrived, classes haven't been held - he responded, his face taking on a serious expression. - I doubt a gloomy person like that would come into the shop for a chocolate bar - he added sarcastically.
- Men in suits? - Hiro repeated Takeru's words, surprised.
- Yeah - he replied, pulling the chair closer to him. - They arrived about three or four days ago - he slowly sat down.
- What exactly happened? - the youngster asked. The day of the attack and the time of appearance of the mysterious men were the same.
- I haven't seen much, but I'll tell you what I know - he said, pulling out a pack of cigarettes from under the counter.
- They arrived about two hours after your class ended - he took a lighter in his hand. - Two black cars, the same ones parked by the gate - he lit a cigarette, taking a drag.
The smell of tobacco didn't bother Hiro; he had simply grown accustomed to it. His grandfather used to smoke a lot, just like Takeru.
- However, on that day, there was a third car, a Toyota Century if my eyes didn't deceive me. It was a beautiful machine - he rested his right elbow on the counter. - Six men got out of the two cars. One of them opened the limousine door. A man in a red and black kimono came out. Two guys stayed by the gate, and the rest went inside.
- Do you recognize any of them? - Hiro asked. The situation seemed serious. The school had been closed, and the appearance of these strange men didn't bode well.
- I have no idea who they were. For your own good, I wouldn't set foot on the university grounds - he looked at the boy, ashing his cigarette.
- We have to check it out - the youngster replied firmly.
- Forget about it - he stated firmly. He didn't want anything bad to happen to him. - Those people didn't seem like the kind who would enjoy being asked questions.
- We can't just leave it like that. Someone has to see if everything's okay - Hiro approached, resting his hands on the table.
- You're stubborn - he replied, seeing the boy's determination. - You'll probably go even if I forbid you - he stubbed out the cigarette, slowly rising from his chair. - We'll go together
- No - the boy said strongly. He was worried about Takeru's safety. He didn't want to create more victims.
- You moron. I'm over seventy years old, and you're barely twenty - he patted Hiro on the head. - The elderly exist to protect fools like you - he went to the coat rack, taking a black and green jacket from it. Hiro stood stunned, not wanting to let it happen, but he knew he couldn't persuade him. - Well, what are you waiting for? - Takeru asked.
- I'm coming. - Hiro said.
They set off towards the university building. They passed through the main gate, carefully looking around. Emptiness surrounded them; there was no sign of any living soul. They decided to go inside.
- Hello, is anyone here? - Hiro called out loudly, but no one answered. They decided to go to the top floor, to the principal's office.
- I can't remember the last time I was here - Takeru announced as he climbed the stairs.
- Actually, I've never seen you come onto the school grounds - Hiro, who followed the older man, replied.
- Well, why would I come here? - he coughed.
- I heard that you used to work as a janitor.
- Those were old times - he waved his hand. - I quit.
- Why? - the boy asked intrigued. He had heard rumors about Takeru's job at the school but never found out why he had left.
- I couldn't handle working on two fronts. Full-time job at the school and the store. Those were the times just after my wife passed away.
The shopkeeper's wife died twelve years ago. One day, Takeru found his wife writhing in pain on the floor. He immediately took her to the hospital. After a week, the attending doctor informed him that his wife had only a few hours left to live. The applied therapy didn't yield the intended results. Upon hearing the doctor's verdict, the shopkeeper rushed to the room where his wife laid. Their last hours together were filled with despair, grief, and a sense of helplessness. Takeru's wife comforted him in her final moments, trying to alleviate his inner suffering. The conversation with Hiro reminded Takeru of the last moments they had spent together.

- Sayako... There must be another option - said the shopkeeper, clenching his hands into fists.
- Darling, we've done everything we can. Don't torment yourself - the woman replied, lying in a hospital bed.
- I've seen this disease before. People writhing in pain. Fever, screams, despair. I thought we were long past this - he declared in desperation.
- It's not the end. I'll always be with you. Take care of our shop.
- How? We opened it together after our wedding. How can I run the shop without you? I only handled minor repairs after work. You are the face of this place. I'm not cut out for it. I can't be like you. Even when I work at the university, the students avoid me like the plague.
- Don't be so hard on yourself, my dear - she said, placing her hand on his clenched fist. - I know you better than anyone else. You're a good, helpful person. The customers will surely like you.
- I don't know. I don't want you to leave. It's too soon.
- I'm not going anywhere. I'm with you, here and now - she replied with a sincere smile on her face. - Do you remember when we opened this shop? Do you remember our dream? - she added, looking into his eyes.
- I remember as if it were yesterday - he replied. He tried to smile, but his face was still filled with despair. - This shop was meant to be a symbol of a new life. Free from past worries. We wanted to be a lovely couple living in a small town. Our dream was to have a shop that students, their parents, and teachers would visit. We would watch as those who came to buy a black pen or fix a bicycle would now buy food for their families - Takeru's emotions slowly subsided. Sayako listened to his story as if she were hearing it for the first time. - I was supposed to handle deliveries, repairs, and construction.
- You did great. No malfunction was left unrepaired for more than a day, and the building you constructed didn't collapse despite the earthquakes.
- If it weren't for my wonderful wife, I wouldn't even have a place to build - he said, reaching for his jacket to wipe his teary eyes with a handkerchief. - You convinced the director to lease it to us indefinitely. Moreover, you took care of all the paperwork in less than a week.
- Do you remember Takumi?
- The car workshop? That young man had been arguing with the governor's representative for over six months - he laughed slightly. - He would probably still be struggling if it weren't for your swift intervention.
- The governor is my old friend from school. One meeting was enough.
- Why didn't you ever tell him the truth?
- Consider it an old woman's whim.
- Takumi should reinforce the roof. We haven't experienced any earthquakes recently, but when it happens, I'm sure the entire structure will collapse.
- Then fix the roof for him.
- I don't know if I'll be able to pick up my tools after today. I don't know if I'll be able to get out of bed. I don't know what to do. I don't know how I'll live tomorrow.
- Do it for me. Continue with your life as before.
- Continue without you? Is that possible?
- Darling, continue our dream. We have many loyal customers. Many of them don't just come for shopping, but also to talk. Relationship problems, difficulties with school, choosing a birthday present. From now on, you will advise them, they need you.
- They need you. What will I tell them? What can an ordinary janitor know?
- You're wiser than you think. Believe in yourself.
- I'm lost. I lived for you, I lived for our shared goal. Who will I live for now?
- Live for the people who need you. It's not a big town. Our shop has helped many, let it remain that way.
- Even so, I have no close contact with anyone except you. I left all my friends there.
- One day you will find a person who will make you want to entrust everything to them. It will be a different kind of love than what you've experienced so far.
- Do you think I'm capable of loving someone else?
- Yes, although not in the way you think.
- How can I balance working at the shop with my duties at the university?
- You have to make a choice. I would like you to continue our dream. I don't want you to give up on it because I know how much it means to you. However, I understand that you can't work in two places at once. I realize that you may no longer have the will to run the business. That's why you have to choose.

Chaos of thoughts prevented Takeru from giving an answer. The sudden compulsion to choose the path he would follow for the rest of his life was overwhelming. Until now, his motivation had been a life together with his wife. The thought of a future without her filled him with fear. Seeing the grimace on her husband's face, Sayako reached for the hospital bedside cabinet. She took out a golden pocket watch, adorned with a lotus flower pattern on its front.
- Why did you decide to run away with me?
- You know why. I wanted to live with you and only you. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you in peace. To fulfill our dream.
- You are just as much of a dreamer as I am. You need it more than I do - Sayako grasped Takeru's hand and placed the watch on it.
- You can't give me this. It's yours. You received it from your father before we ran away.
- Everything that's mine is also yours. Our dreams, our life, our worries. We are not alone anymore. We have each other, and it will stay that way forever.For the shopkeeper, these words were like the sun breaking through the clouds. Takeru understood that even if Sayako couldn't be by his side, he should pursue their shared dream. If he gave up on the shop, he would also be rejecting the feelings he held for his wife.
- Sayako, I love you - Takeru declared.
- I love you too, Takeru. You will be a wonderful shopkeeper...I have one more gift for you.
- What is it? - he asked, surprised.
- Close your eyes.Following his wife's suggestion, Takeru closed his eyes.
He didn't know what she had prepared. Suddenly, he felt Sayako's lips on his. He didn't say anything. They kissed, holding hands at the same time. The shopkeeper slowly opened his eyes.
- Thank you, Takeru. You are the best husband I could ever dream of - she said, not letting go of his hands. - I didn't express it well. You are even better than I imagined - she added, smiling.
Her expression nearly brought him to tears. She looked as happy as she did on their wedding day.
- And I thank you. You gave me a purpose in life. Without you, I would still wander, not knowing why I'm alive. There's no better woman than you.
- Such sweet words spoken towards an old lady like me? - she chuckled lightly.
- You are as beautiful as the moment I met you. It's me who's the old geezer.
- Always sweet. Who would have thought you had this side too?
- Only for you.
- Not true. That's who you really are. You don't have to be cautious all the time. Allow yourself a moment of rest.
- I'm not sure if I can be like you.
- You don't have to be like me. Be yourself.
Seeing the face radiating kindness, Takeru decided to embark on a new path.
- I'll give it my all - he said.
- I know - Sayako replied. Without letting go of Takeru's hand, she lay down on the bed.
- My father wasn't thrilled when he found out about our plan - she added, lying on her side. - But he didn't try to stop me. He reached into his jacket pocket and took out a golden pocket watch. I'll always remember what he said. He didn't lecture me or shout. He only said one thing: "When you want something, all the universe secretly conspires in helping you to achieve it."
- He put it beautifully. The universe must have conspired in our favor. This plan was pure madness.
- That's true, but it worked... Take care of yourself. If I see you eating those fast foods again, I'll get upset.
- I'll miss your miso soup.
- You can take my notebook. I have many recipes from my grandmother there.
- I'm not the best cook.
- You can cook well, but you need to be more patient. You get frustrated too quickly.
- I'll try, although the kitchen doesn't seem to like me.
- You'll manage. It's not that difficult. Look, the sun is already rising.
- The sun? It's nighttime, isn't it? - he replied, looking at the window.
- Sensitivity of an elephant in a porcelain shop. You're lovely.
Sayako slowly closed her eyes. It looked as if she had fallen asleep.
- I don't understand - he replied.
Takeru looked away from the window and then glanced at his wife.
- Sayako? - he asked, but received no response. - Sweetheart, this is not the time for games. Let's talk a bit more - not a word came out of Sayako's mouth. Takeru placed his left hand on his wife's neck. There was no pulse. At that moment, he understood that his spouse had just passed away. He touched her hair and cheek, looking at her sadly. He held Sayako's hands while holding the watch she had given him.
- I promise I'll manage. I'll do it for you. Once again, you have given my life meaning. Our work will not be in vain - he added, resting his forehead on his hands. After a short moment, he placed his wife's hands on the bed. He looked at the watch once more and decided to open it. The appearance of the dial surprised Takeru. It depicted the parents of the spouses, as well as the two of them and two friends. - Did she carry this photo with her all the time? I still can't believe her family agreed to the wedding. One of the best memories - he said, observing the photo and noticing the inscription engraved on the metal cover - Forever Together - tears started flowing from Takeru's eyes after seeing that quote. - You're right. The sun has risen again, and I'll make sure it shines for as long as possible.Takeru closed the watch, hiding it in the pocket of his jacket, and left the room, heading home. The next day, he quit his job and started preparing for his wife's funeral. The first few days were difficult, but he received a lot of support from loyal customers as well as close friends. Many people loved Sayako, and news of her death shook the whole town. Seeing this, Takeru understood why his shop was an important part of the community. As memories of the past flashed through his mind, Hiro interrupted seeing Takeru zoned out.

- Have you never thought about coming back? - he asked.
- Being a shopkeeper suits me better. I'm on my own turf. I set the rules - the old man replied.
- There's something to that. You don't have to listen to the grumbling of superiors. Besides, the management isn't breathing down your neck.
After climbing a few more stairs, Hiro and Takeru reached the top floor of the university. They were just a few steps away from the principal's office. The older man suddenly stopped in his tracks.
- Do you want my shop? - he asked, turning towards the boy.
- Why would I want a shop? - he replied, surprised.
- Well, you never know how long you'll live - he said with a smile. - I wouldn't want them to turn my property into a parking lot.
- But you're renting the land from the school - Hiro replied, not understanding the shopkeeper's intention.
- Details, you'll figure something out.
- I think I'll pass - the youngster declined, turning his head away.
- Hmph - Takeru snorted, spreading his arms. - I never intended to hand over the business to a young guy like you. I plan on living a bit longer - he announced, crossing his arms.

Slowly, they approached the door of the principal's office. Hiro wanted to reach for the doorknob, but Takeru stopped him.- Not so fast - he said, grabbing the boy's hand before it touched the doorknob.
- I'll go in first. You follow behind me - he added with a firm voice. Hearing the seriousness in Takeru's voice, Hiro nodded his head and stepped back behind the man. The shopkeeper placed his right hand on the doorknob and his left hand on the door. He opened it incredibly slowly, just a few centimeters, observing the emerging interior of the room. He looked intently but didn't notice anything. He gave Hiro a signal with a nod of his head and then pushed the door as hard as he could. The shopkeeper quickly stepped into the room, while the young man struggled to keep up with Takeru's pace. He was clearly surprised by the older man's movements.
- Why are you standing there like a statue? - the shopkeeper asked, looking around the principal's office.
- It caught me off guard. You're quite fast - Hiro replied, entering the room.
Both of them carefully surveyed the room but didn't notice anything strange at first glance. The principal's office was quite spacious, with a large desk, two sofas facing each other, two tables, and six bookshelves with books and folders. The room had two large windows overlooking the school field.
- Well, let's search - Takeru announced.
- What are we looking for? - Hiro asked, approaching the shopkeeper.
- Any trace. Something that doesn't fit the general picture of this room. Even the absence of one book can be crucial - the man replied, approaching one of the bookshelves. - I'll take the left side, and you take the right.
- Understood - the young man confirmed.
Hiro and Takeru began their investigation. They carefully examined the arrangement of the tables, chairs, and books. They peered into every nook and cranny, but couldn't find anything.
- I guess it doesn't make sense. Everything looks normal - Hiro stated, approaching the principal's desk.
- If everything looks normal, then why isn't the principal here? - Takeru replied, closing a book.
- If the school is temporarily closed, there's no need for anyone to be here - the youngster said, resting his chin on his hand.
- Even if they closed the school temporarily, the principal would have to work for at least another month to complete formalities and prepare the building for handover - the shopkeeper replied, running his hand over the desk. - Besides, as someone leasing the university's land, I would have been notified.
- True - Hiro nodded affirmatively. - So what could be the reason for his absence?
- We need to find out. Moreover, I didn't see anyone else on the school premises besides us.
- Two cars. It's possible they went somewhere else.
- We need to hurry. I doubt they'll give us time to figure it out - Takeru said, looking out the window.
- That leaves only the desk - Hiro replied.
The young man examined the items on the desk. On top of it was a notebook containing meeting dates, project notes, and reminders related to upcoming events. Hiro tried to find at least one clue that would bring them closer to understanding the reason for the principal's absence. At the same time, the older man began searching through the drawers. However, access to one of them was protected by a lock.
- We won't be able to open this. We need a key - Takeru stated.
- Maybe we can break it? - suggested the young man, who was standing in front of the desk.
- A lock like this won't open without the right tool - the shopkeeper said, getting up from his knees.
- It's worth a try, even if it's difficult - Hiro replied, shuffling a piece of paper.
- No lockpick will open this. Look for the key.
- Alright, if that's the case - the young man closed the notebook and placed it back on the desk. He decided to lie down on the floor to check the underside of the furniture.
- What's this?! - Hiro raised his voice, abruptly getting up, surprising the older man.
- What did you see? - the intrigued man asked.
- I didn't see it. I felt it - replied the young man, gripping his hand. Hiro was clearly disoriented, and his facial expression suggested pain associated with a mysterious experience.
- You felt it? - the shopkeeper asked again.
- For some time now, when I touch objects, I can feel their energy, but this was something completely different. It was a deadly, chilling sensation. The frequency was so high that I still feel tingling in my arm.
- Did you touch the carpet or any other object? - Takeru approached Hiro, gripping his forearm.
- I didn't even have time to check. The feeling was immediate. I instinctively stood back.
- You were lucky - Takeru remarked. - If you hadn't gotten up, your hand would be useless now.
- Why? - Hiro asked, frightened.
The shopkeeper only touched his forearm and upper arm, but he could assess his condition.
- It's a trap for the curious - he stated briefly, taking out black gloves from his pocket.
- Are you sure you'll be okay? - Hiro didn't want Takeru to experience the same shock.
- Don't worry, kid. These gloves will provide me with enough protection - he said, reaching into his jacket pocket and taking out a small flashlight. The shopkeeper knelt on one knee and turned on the flashlight. - It's even worse than I thought - he added, staring at the carpet. Takeru shone the flashlight around the entire room.
- What is it... - he couldn't finish his sentence. Hiro looked toward the light.
The flashlight revealed traces of blood. Seeing the blood, the young man remembered his sister, which caused panic to rise within him. His eyelids started to tremble. Takeru glanced at the young man's expression out of the corner of his eye; he knew that look. He had seen it many times on the faces of parents who had lost their children due to illness.
- Pull yourself together, Hiro. You may have to witness even worse things - he said, lying down on the floor.
- That flashlight, it's not an ordinary UV light - Hiro said, trying to regain control of his emotions.
- No, it's not -Takeru responded curtly.The old man slowly searched beneath the desk with his hand. Suddenly, he sensed an object. Carefully, he pulled it out from under the furniture.
- We have the key; let's go and open the drawer - he said, rising from the floor.
The salesman approached the drawer. The key fit perfectly into the lock. He attempted to open it, but suddenly he lunged towards Hiro.
- Get down! - he shouted, knocking the young man over. The desk exploded, shattering the windows in the room and destroying the cabinets.
After a moment, Takeru slowly stood up, carefully examining the source of the explosion.
- We should leave as soon as possible - he declared firmly.
- A bomb in the director's cabinet? What does this mean? - Hiro asked, trying to get up. He didn't feel any pain thanks to the adrenaline rush and Takeru covering him with his own body.
- Most likely an additional security measure against unwelcome guests - the salesman replied, helping the young man to his feet.
- We can't leave just yet. What about the lead? - Hiro said, dusting himself off.
- We've seen is enough. Now we go - Takeru stated, looking at the destruction.The shopkeeper began to walk slowly towards the door.
As soon as he moved, Hiro noticed a strange hole in the wall, emitting a small silver light.
- Mr. Takeru, something's not right - Hiro said, approaching the wall. The salesman stopped, slowly turning his gaze towards him.
- Leave it, there's nothing here for us - he replied decisively.
The young man didn't listen to the man. He approached the small hole created by the explosion. Takeru observed his movements closely.
- There's something here - Hiro leaned closer to the hole, trying to see the source of the light. - It's dark, I can't see well.
- If you can't see anything, then let's go - Takeru responded, eager to leave the university building as quickly as possible.
Hiro was on the verge of giving up his search when suddenly the room began to brighten.
- This is... - Hiro stepped back slowly from the hole, his face filled with terror.
Seeing the strong reaction from the young man, the salesman approached the recess.
- The director... He is... - he tried to utter a sentence but couldn't. Fear overtook him after seeing the director.
- So, that's how it is - Takeru said.
Behind the wall, there were the director's lifeless body. His neck had been pierced by three long needles.
- We need to escape immediately - ordered the shopkeeper.
Hiro tried to flee, but his path was blocked by two unknown men. Both of them were dressed in black suits, and their faces were covered with skull-like masks. The strangers quickly drew their weapons. The young man had never seen such armament before. The assailants were ready to attack when Takeru leaped in front of Hiro.
- Mr. Takeru? - he asked, surprised. The speed at which the shopkeeper positioned himself in front of the attackers was inhuman.
- As soon as I defeat them, run without hesitation - he declared firmly.- I can't just leave you here - Hiro responded, worried.
- You fool, run at the first opportunity - Takeru replied.
The men didn't let them talk any longer. The first one attacked with a chain. Takeru pushed Hiro away and swiftly evaded the assault by stepping aside. The second man hurled a curved blade attached to a chain towards the shopkeeper, aiming for his neck. Takeru caught the weapon by the handle and flung it back at the opponent with the chain, who somersaulted forward, catching the weapon in mid-air.
- Too slow - said the shopkeeper, swiftly drawing shurikens from under his jacket. He threw them incredibly fast, striking vital points on the opponent.
The masked assailant fell dead to the ground. The last man, taking advantage of Takeru's distraction, bound him with the chain. The shopkeeper knelt on his left knee. The opponent slowly approached him.
- Farewell - said the unknown man, drawing a wakizashi.
- Maybe in twenty years, you would stand a chance - replied the shopkeeper, smiling.
The assailant attempted to strike when the chains binding Takeru suddenly broke apart. The shopkeeper vertically cut the face of the unknown man with his sword, resembling a Shide used in rituals. The zigzag-shaped blade emitted incredible energy. Hiro, observing the fight, felt the aura of the sword. The soothing feeling calmed the young man, who just moments ago couldn't control his stress.
- Why aren't you running? I gave you an order - he said sharply.
- How could I leave my friend behind? Have you lost your mind? - Hiro responded, clearly irritated by Takeru's attitude.
- When you have the chance, run. Even if the thought of staying comes to mind, always ask yourself one question: What can I do? If you can't find an answer to that question, simply run. You don't want to end up like them - he added, pointing his sword at the bodies of the two strangers.
- There's always a way to help someone - Hiro said, determined.
- Tell me, did you have any ideas that would have helped me?
- No, but...
- There are no 'buts.' On the battlefield, your 'but' can cost the lives of an entire team. Will you take responsibility for that? Will you look into the eyes of a family and tell them that their child is dead because of your decision? - he replied, raising his voice.-
 Mr. Takeru? - Hiro was surprised by the shopkeeper's reaction. He behaved as if he had experienced a similar situation himself.
- It doesn't matter, forgive me - Takeru turned his back to the young man. - Let's go from here.
- Let's go - Hiro repeated.

Both of them headed towards the exit of the office when a shadow appeared in front of them. After a moment, it transformed into a figure similar to the strangers. However, he was distinguished by a red mask unlike theirs. He was dressed in a leather jacket, underneath which was a gray sweater and a white shirt. A gray-black tie with thin red stripes was tied around his neck.
- Reinforcements? - Hiro asked, fear arising within him at the sight of another stranger.
- Worse, master - the shopkeeper announced.
- Damn, and he blocked the only escape route.
- Shurikens and perfect vertical cuts. Two attacks, two bodies. I must commend you on your fighting style - spoke the stranger in a firm yet calm tone.
- Shadows? It's a bit typical - the shopkeeper replied sarcastically.
- Sometimes the most typical solutions are the best. Simplicity doesn't always equate to weakness.
- You're quite talkative. The previous ones didn't even exchange a word.
- Consider this conversation a reward for your performance.
- Thank you, but I'd prefer it if you got out of our way, we're in a hurry.
- Why should I follow the order given by the dead?
- Maybe you need to put on glasses. Can't you see well under that mask?
- You died a long time ago. However, this young man will accompany you.
- Leave him. It's a matter between us.
- Perfect cut? Reward for the fight? They were your subordinates, and you just comment on their deaths as if they meant nothing? - Hiro interrupted the conversation.
He was annoyed by the way the stranger spoke about his own soldiers.
- Can a person walking the path of death expect to survive? - the man replied.
- Everyone deserves to survive, everyone has the right to live, to hope. These are fundamental feelings - Hiro said.
- You won't achieve anything with idealism. You're naive. A leader is obliged to complete a mission even at the cost of his soldiers' lives. If he didn't do that, their sacrifice would be meaningless.
- In that case, you could have appeared first - he announced, raising his voice.
- You want me to follow the order by presenting myself first. You're right, but what's the point of having soldiers if the commander can do the same without any casualties? You didn't take an important factor into account. A commander trusts his subordinates.
- Trust is one thing, leaving them for certain death is another.
- Certain death, you say. Are you all-knowing? Do you know the outcome of every action?
The irritation that had built up in Hiro reached a critical point. He wanted to approach the stranger, but Takeru grabbed his arm.
- Enough - the shopkeeper said. Hiro clenched his teeth, turning his head away.
- Young, impulsive, idealistic. You haven't grown up yet, you're just a boy.
- I said enough - he repeated, staring menacingly at the masked man. - Let him go. You're not here to kill him.
- The boy doesn't interest me, that's true. He's just a minor addition. However, I can't let him go. He saw something he shouldn't have.
- Did you kill the director?! - anger filled Hiro's eyes.
- He chose that fate himself. Don't judge the situation without knowing all the details.The young man wanted to respond when Takeru tightened his grip on his arm.
- Hiro is no threat to you, besides, Sayako is dead.
After Takeru's words, silence fell. For a moment, no one spoke. Suddenly, a strong wind filled the director's office.
- It's her wish, her final request.
The stranger extended his right hand, and Takeru released Hiro's arm.
- What's happening? Don't think I'll leave you here - the young man said.
- I'm going on a forced leave. Take care of the shop - he patted Hiro on the back.
He quickly turned towards the stranger. The shadow that emerged from the man's sleeve wrapped around the young man. Hiro tried to break free from the shadow, but each time he was repelled by nothingness.
- Takeru! - he shouted at the top of his lungs. The last thing he saw was the genuine smile of the shopkeeper.
Hiro vanished from the room along with the shadow summoned by the stranger.

The shopkeeper immediately rushed towards the man, delivering a vertical strike from above. The blade passed through the stranger's body as if it were made of smoke. The masked figure disappeared after the attack, but from behind, Takeru heard a voice.
- This is the end of your lucky streak. I'm still alive - said the man who was now sitting on the window frame without glass.
- Talking to a fake bores me - replied the shopkeeper, turning towards the man.
- We meet again, Kowaguchi Takeru - the stranger took off his mask.
Before Takeru's eyes appeared an older man, seemingly of similar age to the shopkeeper. His straight white hair was combed back. He had small mustache and a beard on his chin. He slowly reached into his jacket and took out golden glasses. He put them on and then looked straight at Takeru with his gray eyes.
- You haven't changed much, Fujimura Fumiyori - he said, leaning his sword against the floor.
- When did you realize it was me?
- Your needles. They have the initials F.F.
- I see that despite your age, you still have hawk-like eyes.
- You were always good at throwing those fancy needles. I preferred shurikens.
- Always witty, aren't you?
- You didn't come here just to reminisce about the good old days, did you?
- Do you really think so?
- Not at all. You're a servant. You must have received such an order. But you have to admit that we did a good job of hiding.
- Hiding? We've known your location for a long time, but only now am I able to visit you - he announced, descending to the floor.
- Let's not change the subject. What about Sayako?
- Since you were so well-informed, you've probably heard about her death.
- What did she die of? - he asked, ignoring the provocation.
- The same disease from years ago. Apparently, it has returned.
- If you had informed us, we would have helped you.
- Us? Maybe you would have helped Sayako, but you would have locked her up at home, and I would have been executed.
- She would still be in better company than here - Fumiyori said, slowly moving from one corner to another.
- That's what she wanted, and you have to respect that - Takeru replied firmly.
The tension between them was palpably growing. With each word spoken, the atmosphere thickened.
- Wanted? You think she wanted you? - he asked rhetorically, squinting his eyes.
- Sayako fell for you, and when you both left, there was no other choice.-
 There's always a choice, even if we don't see it - the shopkeeper responded, leaning on the hilt of his weapon.
- You backed her into a corner.
- Do you think I did it against her will? I've never heard anything more stupid. You were at the wedding, you saw it by yourself - Takeru stated.
- I won't argue about that. Your gaze, despite being sharp, still doesn't protect you from blindness - he said in a calm tone. - What was her last wish?
- You didn't have all the information, and you carried out an order that could have been deceitful. I didn't expect you to be capable of such deeds.
- What did Sayako say? - he asked again, piercing the shopkeeper with his gaze. His look conveyed the weight of his words.
- That I should live on, run the shop, and continue our shared dream.
- I don't see any connection with the boy. Did you really deceive me? - he asked, interrupting his stride.
- Sayako asked me to protect the loved ones.
- Loved ones? Did you father any children?
- No, but it's a bond that doesn't rely on blood.
- So, it was her wish? - the man turned towards the shattered window, observing the stars.
- I did what she asked.
Fujimura stared at the stars for a moment longer. He gazed at the night sky as if searching for something. He lowered his head and then slowly walked towards Takeru.
- My mission is to find the traitors. Currently, you are my priority.
- I feel honored.The man in glasses stopped near the bodies of his men.
- You defeated him with the first technique you learned - Fujimura said, looking at the man with the severed head. - You drew your sword from the floor and attacked by surprise. He didn't stand a chance. A perfectly swift move. Without a trained eye and experience, such an attack is unavoidable.
- You should train your soldiers better. Facing them against me was a death sentence.
- Indeed, but I thought you had lost your touch. I won't make that mistake again.
Fumiyori approached Takeru even closer. They were now just a step away from each other. Suddenly, they began to recite an oath. Fujimura started, and Takeru continued.
- For the glory of our family, emperor without a throne,
- We who tread in shadows, our presence unknown.
- Obliged to surrender our lives to the highest aim,
- Unknown soldiers, renouncing glory and fame.
- With the sword of justice, condemning hostility's might,
- Embracing death as a comrade, devoid of fright.
- May lotus flowers bloom, radiant and pure,
- Today and always, their beauty endure - they said in unison, then immediately moved to opposite ends of the room.

Takeru was the first to move. He sprinted forward, throwing shurikens at Fujimura, but the latter deflected them all with needles that turned back towards the merchant.
- Not bad - Takeru commented, seeing the counterattack. The shopkeeper evaded all the needles and executed three swift strikes. Fujimura blocked them with the ninjatō he drew from his jacket with his left hand. The man in glasses attempted to sweep Takeru's legs, but Kowaguchi jumped forward, simultaneously executing a horizontal strike. Fumiyori swiftly made a movement with his right hand, summoning a shadow that obstructed Takeru's vision. As a result, Takeru landed with his back turned to his opponent. Fujimura tried to thrust his sword at his opponent, but the light emanating from Takeru's blade caused him to miss. The one being attacked turned around, driving his sword into the floor. The man in glasses jumped back, startled, as Takeru's sword emerged from below.
- A cheap trick - he announced.
- Really? - Takeru replied.
Fujimura turned behind him and saw two zigzag blades attacking from the corners of the room. He reached for the talisman he kept in his jacket pocket and threw it towards the blades, releasing a light that froze the weapons. Takeru didn't wait and immediately charged at his opponent. Anticipating the attack, Fujimura easily blocked it with his own weapon. The frantic pace of their exchange prevented either of them from using any particular skills. As their swords clashed, they tried to gain an advantage over each other, but none of their attempts landed a hit. In the next exchange, Takeru managed to bring the opponent's sword down to the ground. He intended to pierce the man by summoning a blade from behind him, but Fujimura leaped over the merchant, throwing needles behind him. Out of the six needles, Takeru was hit by four: two in his left forearm and one in his right leg. The time he spent retrieving his sword prevented him from mounting an effective defense. Sensing the hit, Fujimura rebounded from the ceiling and attacked again, this time aiming for the head. The sword passed through Kawaguchi's blade. The man in glasses was confident in his hit but couldn't move the sword any further. Takeru smiled and then swiftly tore the cutting edge across Fujimura's body.
- This is the end - declared the merchant.
- Are you sure? - he heard a voice from his left side.He wanted to turn around, but all he saw was the mask falling to the ground near the window. Suddenly, Takeru felt the blade piercing him from behind.
- Since when? - Kowaguchi asked, spitting blood.
- Since I blinded your eyes - came the response as the sword was driven deeper.
- So, it's like this - he looked at the body he pierced, which turned into black smoke.
- Just as I thought. You've grown rusty, Takeru.
- Running the shop has aged me a bit - he replied, releasing the weapon from his hand.
- You weren't cautious enough. You let yourself get carried away - the man withdrew the sword from Takeru. The merchant collapsed on the carpet, covering himself in a pool of blood.
- Forgive me, I was too pleased to see an old acquaintance - he reached into the pocket of his jacket where he kept his wife's watch. He opened it, gazing at the photo. - It still works, a tough piece - he added with a smile.
- Kowaguchi Takeru, you are a traitor.
- Perhaps I am, but I don't regret it. I did it for Sayako - slowly, the world began to darken in Takeru's eyes. - Hiro... I found him, Sayako. I finally understood you - after uttering these words, he lost consciousness.Fujimura cleaned the blood off the blade with cloth and returned it to his jacket.
- You knew I was behind the window. You're a fool, Takeru.

 You're a fool, Takeru

Fujimura's mask