Chapter 12 - The right hand

Friends stood motionless. An awkward silence filled the room. The general returned to his seat, comfortably settling into the leather armchair. He reached into the drawer and pulled out a radio, then pressed one of the buttons and placed it back in its place.
- "Curious who the big shot will assign for the escort" - thought the green-haired one, staring at the leader. He didn't have much sympathy for power-hungry individuals who hadn't fought alongside their subordinates on the battlefield. The energetic youth tried his best to contain himself, not wanting to comment on Wataru's slippery character.
- "We've been assigned to different departments, now it's just a matter of stationing. Perhaps we'll be deployed to distant outposts" - thought the chairman, who had managed to fully control his emotions. The prospect of being separated saddened him. The civil war could last for several months, maybe even over a year, and being apart would only complicate planning future moves.
- "Death Centuria? The Colonel was right..." - he thought to himself. The image of corpses and a slain soldier flashed before his eyes, causing his body to twitch involuntarily. - "Hah... I guess I'm still in shock. My mind's a mess. I don't even know how I should feel..." - he added, reflecting on his state. He was so unstable that he could have a sudden panic attack at any moment. The girl noticed a change in the boy's behavior, feeling worried and unsure how to alleviate his suffering, yet a blissful sense of peace enveloped her worries. Idyllic emotions hindered her from fully grasping the seriousness of the situation.

After two minutes of silence, the door opened again. The young adults heard the footsteps of the incoming person. It was Colonel of Miyazaki himself. The average-height man with black hair and long bangs looked exceptionally elegant. Unlike the others, he wore a black and red uniform with a black coat draped over his shoulders. His nose supported round glasses, and his piercing orange eyes, ignoring the arrivals, stared directly at the general. The colonel saluted the commander, then immediately stood at ease upon hearing the command.
- Elegant for intelligence, the hothead for infantry, send him to Hitoyoshi. We need more people. Take the girl to Isa... - he slowly glanced at the curly-haired youth. Once again, his face twisted into a grin, more akin to a sneer. - Lead him to Mount Ichifusa - he added, resting his right hand on the desk.
- Kashikomari mashita (understood) - he responded in a flat voice.
- Move, and leave that on the desk - he said firmly, tapping his fingers on the wooden desk.
The Colonel wordlessly approached the general. From inside his coat, he pulled out a letter sealed with a silver pin. Daichi narrowed his eyes. As the correspondence was handed over, he noticed that the ornament was oval and resembled a flower, but he didn't see any more details. The general took the letter in his hand, then looked attentively at the silver accessory. His expression was serious, he squinted slightly, then set the letter aside.
- Hope they make a decision this time - he said coolly, leaning against the desk.
The elder nodded, and the colonel turned gracefully, heading towards the newcomers.
- Follow me, we'll get you settled as quickly as possible - he said decisively, passing by the gathered individuals.
They turned towards the man, slowly following behind him. Suddenly, the colonel stopped. The young adults, surprised, also halted their steps.
- You're part of this army now. I won't teach you manners.
The chairman immediately understood what the colonel meant. The Elegant turned towards the general and saluted. The others followed suit, paying their respects to the eldest. Rui was the least eager to comply with the order, but gritting his teeth, he made the gesture.
- At ease - the general announced, then waved his hand, indicating they should disperse.

The whole group slowly released their hands. Together, they turned to the colonel. He once again headed towards the door, which opened immediately, as if the guards knew exactly when someone was leaving the room. The young adults exited the room, and the massive doors were closed, cutting them off from the commander. With leisurely steps, they followed the colonel's lead. He stopped near the stairs and turned to the new soldiers without haste.
- Okamura Hitoshi, Colonel of the Miyazaki Prefecture - he said coolly. - First, we'll head to Mount Ichifusa. One of my subordinates will escort you to the area, you'll receive a map, the rest is up to you. Then we'll go to Miyakonojo, followed by Isa, and finally, we'll proceed to Hitoyoshi. If you have any questions, ask them now - he added, piercing the gathered group with his gaze.
- "Génial (awesome), his movements are subdued, his face reveals no emotions. You can't read anything from him" - thought Daichi, who hoped to glean any information from Hitoshi's behavior. To his surprise, the army officer left no open spaces for analysis. He felt like he had hit a wall. He had never met anyone who hid their emotions so well. Even during his meeting with Dr. Suguna, he could read some of her thoughts, but Okamura was a mystery.
- Why are we going to the mountain? - asked Hiro. His heart rate increased significantly. He was talking to a colonel who exuded rigor and seriousness, unlike Nakamura, who radiated understanding and care.
- Every new member of the Death Centuria must be assigned to someone who will supervise them. The only person who can be your mentor is stationed at Mount Ichifusa.
- I understand... - he replied, his voice slightly wavering.
- Will there be the opportunity to move between outposts? - asked the chairman in a serious tone.
- With the permission of the Captain and the Major, you can move anywhere our units are stationed. The exception is the girl. As a field medic, she can go anywhere, as long as she informs the Chief Medical Officer or the attending physician about the reason and duration of her absence. The hardest will be for the green-haired one. He's been assigned to the front where the most fighting is currently taking place.
- "Awesome, this geezer thinks he's gonna take me out first? Not gonna happen that easily" - he thought, pumped up. He had almost exploded during his first meeting with the general, and now he learned he was being sent in as cannon fodder. However, Hitoshi's words didn't discourage him. Anger acted as a motivator, and he couldn't wait to show the top brass what he's capable of.
- "Just as I suspected, we've been assigned to different outposts, but they haven't forbidden us from moving between bases... With the constant presence of the commanders, we can't devise a plan. On one hand, they're showing us a carrot, but they've got a stick up their sleeve" - said Daichi, lost in thought. He worried that they would be separated without the opportunity to discuss the situation. He tried intensely to come up with a way to get rid of the supervision of the other soldiers, but nothing came to mind. They were at the mercy of the Revolutionary Army.
- "I'll be able to visit them... how cool" - she thought nonchalantly. - "What am I saying... I feel weird... I have to wait it out, I can't do anything in this state" - she added, surprised by her behaviour. She knew she should be feeling completely different emotions, but she couldn't overcome the feeling of bliss.
- I understand that these are your only questions. In that case, let's move on - Okamura replied, adjusting his coat.

The gathered ones descended the stairs. They saw another long corridor where two soldiers were arguing. Unperturbed, the colonel marched forward, paying no mind to the quarrel.
- You said it would be safe there, you said it was the safest place - the man yelled, gesturing energetically.
- Because it was, that area wasn't attacked in any way even during previous uprisings - the stressed interlocutor replied.
- You imbecile, I sent my wife and my child there! They were supposed to be safe, and you assured me of that. - His angry glare intimidated the soldier.
- No one knew they would attack the refinery, we moved not only your wife there, but also others unable to fight - he tried to explain to his furious colleague, but couldn't find words to calm him.
- Do you think I care now? Can you understand in your empty head that I just lost my family?! You're so stupid to now tell me that others died too? I don't give a fuck, because NO ONE should have died there, understand N O O N E - he raised his voice even more. People in adjacent rooms and even outside heard him.
The man's breath was slow and deep. With each subsequent inhale, his pressure rose.
- You gave your wife a gun - the stressed one replied. Immediately after saying this sentence, he understood he said complete nonsense. He didn't want to say it, but his emotions were raging as strongly as his interlocutor's.
- Are you mocking me?! I gave her that gun because it was a memento from my grandfather who fought in the civil war. That gun was one of the keepsakes I held close to my heart. Say one more word, and I'll smack you in that analytical face - he was already on the brink of delivering a blow. The only thing holding him back was the thought that his best friend stood before him. He clenched his fist aggressively, trying not to do something he would regret later.
The second soldier couldn't bear being pressed. He too became angry, knowing they couldn't prevent this attack.
- You get a grip, you think I would've recommended that place if I knew it would endanger her? - he approached with determined steps, looking his interlocutor straight in the eyes.
- Whose fault is it? Who took them away from me? Who's responsible for this? - the man grabbed him by the collar, tightly squeezing his clothes.
His teary eyes practically begged his friend to say something. Anything that would help him understand why his loved ones were taken from him.
- They were killed by the marshal's assailants, no one is to blame - he replied, looking at the devastated soldier with pity, realizing that only the brutal truth would calm him.
Fate decided to take his beloved ones from him, there was no logical explanation. They found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was impossible to prevent or minimize the losses, as war governed by brutal laws. Often, it's the defenceless civilians who feel its devastation the most.

The man lowered his gaze, gritting his teeth, then slowly released his grip on the collar. He raised his right hand, then placed it on his forehead. Torn apart, he approached the windowsill and leaned against it, resting his elbows. Tears started streaming down his face. Grief, helplessness, and sadness engulfed him completely. He didn't know what to think, didn't know what to do. His hands shook with fear. A bitter grimace appeared on his face. He covered his eyes with his right hand, not wanting anyone to see him cry. His companion looked at him with pity, approached, and also leaned against the windowsill. He didn't say a word. They lingered in that spot long after the colonel left the corridor. They were left alone, engulfed in deep mourning.