Chapter 3 - Hospital in the skies

Hiro woke up. It was 9 o'clock. He slowly got out of bed, putting on his slippers. The room he was in wasn't big. It had one bed, a couple of chairs, and a folding screen. Hiro hadn't left the room until now. He approached the door and pulled the handle. To his surprise, he saw the street where his father had dropped off Ichike a few days ago.

- What's going on? Am I not in the hospital? - he looked around. Everything seemed normal. The only anomaly was the door that didn't lead to any building. - Is this some kind of Narnia? Well, I'm not in a wardrobe, I guess.
He couldn't understand why the door led outside instead of a hallway, but after his previous experiences, he wasn't shocked. Suddenly, he felt someone touch his arm.
- I don't recall discharging you.
Hiro turned around and saw Doctor Suguna.
- Close the door before you fall out - she said with a smug on her face.
- Fall out? But we're not high up - he looked at the street again, this time they were in the air. The whole landscape looked like a bird's-eye view. Instinctively, he closed the door, breathing slightly heavily. Hiro had a fear of heights from a young age.
- I'm in the mood for a laid-back conversation, care to join?
The doctor grabbed Hiro's arm and led him to the bed, telling him to sit down.
- What was that? Are we not in the hospital? - he asked, bewildered.
- We're not in the hospital, this isn't an ordinary building - she replied, slowly sitting on a chair.
- Then what would happen if I went through the door?
- Most likely, you would fall down and shatter into tiny pieces - Suguna crossed one leg over the other.
- I saw the street, it looked completely normal. I thought that when I went beyond the door, I would be outside.
- It's second time I'm saving you from death - she replied with a smile. - You saw how the perspective of the street changed when you looked again.
- Indeed, it seemed like I was seeing the whole neighbourhood from above, but that doesn't change the fact that initially, everything seemed normal.
- Take a moment to think about it. You should understand what you've experienced.
Hiro suddenly remembered that Suguna was Orine's aunt.
- Are you a user of aura?
- You're asking even more questions than previously - she took out a cigarette from the pack. - Aura, aura, and aura. Let's start with the correct terminology - she took a lighter in her hand and lit the cigarette. - The correct name for the phenomenon you refer to as aura is Reiki. It is a form of manipulation of life energy as well as spiritual energy. Tell me, do you believe in the soul?
- Yes, although I'm not very religious.
- I have always believed in science. Spiritual experiences or leaving the soul from the body used to seem idiotic to me. However, my worldview was quickly shattered. When I was studying in medical school, we had the opportunity to treat a certain patient during one of our classes. His wounds were not deep. Mostly lacerations from a sharp object and two puncture wounds. We easily patched him up, but he remained in a coma. That's when our teacher posed the same question to us as I posed to you just now - she rested her hand on the back of the chair. - She knew I didn't believe in spiritual bullshit. That's when he appeared.
- Who was it? - Hiro asked, consumed by curiosity.
- He had white hair, black glasses - she squinted her eyes slightly, raising the corner of her mouth. - And those red eyes. Oh, he was something. When he looked at you, it felt like he was looking straight into your soul. Ironically, he was precisely concerned with the human soul - she looked at Hiro's chest. - He approached the patient, placing his hand on his chest. A moment later, the patient opened his eyes. We were all surprised. Then he said to us, "A doctor saves a human life not only by treating their body but also their soul." Since then, I have no doubt about the existence of the soul - she averted her gaze towards the window.

- So why can't you help Naomi then? You're a doctor, you understand the soul. Isn't that the source of the problem? – he hoped that Suguna simply overlooked this stage of treatment.
- Doctor Hiro, did your eardrums explode? - she asked, tilting her head slightly. - Never mind, at least you catch on quickly. Yes, as a doctor, I can manipulate the patient's soul to some extent. That's how I was able to put you back together.
- Then why can't you do the same for Naomi?
- You should be able to figure it out on your own, but I'll enlighten you - she sighed lightly. - Naomi was attacked using Reiki. Unlike you, her spiritual energy was disrupted by the attacker's energy. It's as if that person directly assaulted Naomi's soul. Such cases are dealt with by exorcists.
- Exorcists? That sounds more like a religious institution than a medical one - he raised his eyebrow slightly.
- Monks were once excellent medics, but it's not the time for a lecture on the history of medicine. Exorcists are specialized medical professionals who not only treat the body but also the soul.
- So, does that mean you can't heal the soul? - with that question, the spark of hope began to fade.
- Sheesh, finally, you've caught on - she replied, lightly adjusting her hair. - I can heal the soul to some extent, but Naomi's case is more complicated. A regular case of soul damage after a fight can be fixed by any experienced doctor. Your friend was subjected to a special attack.
- Special? According to Rui, it looked like he flew past them.
- Your eyes aren't accustomed to the speed at which Reiki adepts move.
- Wait. Orine said that manipulating Reiki is child's play.
- It's hard not to agree with her, but she didn't tell you a very important fact.
- What is it? - he asked, rubbing his head.