Chapter 5 - Memory

The clock struck 6 o'clock. Rui, Daichi, and Orine gathered in the living room, eagerly awaiting Hiro's arrival. The blue-eyed girl lives in a single-family house. Much like all the island's dwellings, it embraces a vast courtyard. Nestled in the rear of the premises lies a garden featuring a fountain and benches.

- Where the hell is Hiro at? He messing around or what? - asked Rui, filled with irritation, while sitting on a chair.
- Perhaps there have been some complications - replied Daichi, who was sitting on a brown sofa.
- He tends to be late, but I doubt he would do it on purpose. Not in this situation - added Orine, pouring coffee for the boy in glasses.
- Thank you - said the chairman.
- He ain't here yet, then let me ask something real quick. Why we frontin' like ain't nothin' happened? - Rui declared, placing one leg over the other.
- What is the point you are trying to make? - inquired the chairman, taking a sip of his milky coffee.
- You know what I'm sayin'. Why don't we straight up ask what went down with his parents?
- That's dangerous - Daichi stated firmly.
- Dangerous? Your brain wires crossed or somethin'? It's possible he lost his old folks, and we out here actin' like it's all good, no big deal - Rui was outraged by his friends' behavior. To him, honesty holds the highest value, even when it entails enduring significant pain.
- Let me break it down for you in simpler terms - Orine said, taking a seat across from the chairman and attempting to ease the frustration of the green-haired boy.
- Go ahead, I'm all ears - he responded. He didn't think the girl's explanations would convince him, but he wanted to know the reason why they were avoiding the truth.
- Waking up, Hiro clearly remembered his sister, but he didn't utter a word about his parents' disappearance - she began, before Rui interrupted her.
- That's exactly what's messed up - he waved his hand dismissively.
- Allow her to explain. If you continue interrupting, you won't be able to grasp the full understanding of the situation - the chairman calmly said.
- Okay, I apologize - Rui replied, realizing that he should better control his irritation.
- Hiro seems to remember everything except his parents. He tried not to show it, but deep down, he felt great pain associated with his inability to help Ichika. Despite that, he didn't mention his parents at all. Furthermore, he confronted an unknown opponent who most likely collaborated with those behind Koharu's abduction and Naomi's condition.
- What are you trying to say? - asked Rui, not understanding how this collection of information justifies misleading their friend.
- We are facing aura users whose abilities remain a mystery. Together with Daichi, we believe that Hiro's partial amnesia is connected to the use of an ability unknown to us.
- Hold up, you and Daichi think that, and y'all didn't clue me in on nothin'? - he asked, surprised.
- There wasn't an appropriate occasion, furthermore, you would have probably been the first one to ask him about his parents. We wanted to avoid your impulsive actions - explained the chairman.
- I thought we didn't mention his parents to spare him the trauma, so I kept my mouth shut at the hospital.
- Our actions need to be carefully considered. One mistake could cost us greatly - declared the man in glasses, who seemed to understand the situation even better than Orine.
- So, we're playing dumb, huh? – the boy in bracelets asked, clearly unhappy with the idea of hiding the truth.

- If Hiro is under the influence of an unknown aura, we could create unnecessary danger. You know what happened to Naomi. If this man's power affects the brain, it's possible that it could seriously damage him too – declared the blonde haired girl.
- You think this guy left something in his brain like that blondie?
- We can't rule it out. For now, we need to keep Hiro's parents a secret. Let's wait until he remembers on his own.
- Tsk - he clicked his tongue in disapproval.
- We know you're against it, but it's the right decision in this situation - said the chairman, taking the last sip of his coffee.
- I hear you, I hear you. It pisses me off that I gotta act like an idiot.
- You have a natural talent for it - Orine remarked.
- I'm not a clown!
The chairman and the blue-eyed girl laughed, while a puzzled Rui crossed his arms and turned his head to the side. Orine didn't mean to tease her friend, but she knew that everyone could use a relaxed atmosphere.

A moment later, the friends heard a loud knocking on the door. Impatient, Rui abruptly stood up from his chair and rushed towards the door. Opening it, he saw a worn-out Hiro. The boy looked as if he had just escaped from the grim reaper himself. His breath was heavy, and his face was covered in sweat.
- Come in, man. You look like you're 'bout to pass out - said Rui.
- T-Takeru... – the short boy tried to squeeze out a single sentence. Stress, despair, and helplessness had taken hold of him, making communication almost impossible.
- I can't make heads or tails of this mumbo jumbo. Let's head to the living room - stated the green-haired guy, grabbing Hiro by the arm.