Chapter 11 - From storm to hell

- What the hell is this? I wasn't expecting a red carpet rollout, but what the heck went down here? - exclaimed the green-haired one, looking around left and right, visibly irritated.
- Let's stick together, we'll get lost in this darkness in no time - declared the chairman, clutching onto the wooden box.
- The darkness won't be an issue - replied the blonde.

The girl's azure eyes began to shimmer, a blue aura enveloped her body. In just under three seconds, she managed to illuminate the area within a 20-meter radius around her. Enlightening the terrain with Reiki was a sound strategy. Only another user would notice the improved visibility, and the chances of encountering one were slim. The group of friends began to scrutinize the revealed image of the port carefully. The sight horrified them.
Hiro glanced to his right and noticed the body of a young woman, devoid of legs, cradling a baby in her arms, the lifeless child appeared as if sleeping. The boy felt nauseous, quickly covering his mouth with his right hand to stifle the urge to vomit. The chairman, gazing ahead, saw the burning corpse of a man. Only a piece of his sleeve remained unscathed by the flames, adorned with a blue hue and a single golden line. The sight paralysed him. He felt his legs begin to tremble. Clenching his hand into a fist, he started hitting his right leg as if urging it to move, but he couldn't budge. Terror had immobilized his actions. Rui's reaction differed from his friends'. He carefully examined the bodies around, analysing the situation. His composure was almost unnatural, but for some reason, the image of death didn't stir fear within him.

The sight seemed familiar to Orine. Suddenly, before her eyes, she saw a church filled with bodies. Gray tiles were coated with fresh blood. The corpses of men in robes laid not only on the floor but also on wooden benches, their lifeless eyes stared into emptiness, and a red fluid trickled from their wounds. In the distance, the girl noticed a figure in a black robe lying on the altar like a sacrifice. The head of the corpse was submerged in a silver bowl, which, in the light streaming from the large windows, took on an ominous glow. Suddenly, breaking the silence, the sound of church bells echoed, summoning souls from beyond. The dead returned to life, and the bodies slowly approached the girl, who froze in terror, knowing she could not escape the resurrected.
- No! No! Leave me alone!!! - she screamed at the top of her lungs, stress causing her to cough intensely, almost to the point of vomiting.
The girl grabbed her head, covering her ears. She heard the footsteps of the undead, huddling, hoping the figures would disappear.
- Oh - Father... lama sabachthani? (why have you forsaken me) - one of the figures said slowly, with a panting voice.
Terrified, she began to cry, feeling something grabbing her arms. She didn't want to open her eyes, fear overtook her behaviour. Trembling with terror, she sobbed.

- Orine, Orine! Fuck, she's totally out.
Her aura glowed even brighter, this time encompassing an area within a radius of two hundred meters. The group of young adults beheld a scene of devastation. Holes in the concrete led underground into an unknown abyss. Massive oval buildings were stripped of their upper structures, as if someone had sliced them diagonally. The rubble filled the landscape, crushing the unfortunate few with its weight. The previously imperceptible fire was devouring the horizon, but the question remained: why had it appeared just now? Rui didn't even have time to think about the flames, because they spotted something much worse... Bodies, more bodies, both in uniforms and ordinary civilian clothes. The corpses showed no gunshot wounds. Their faces bore expressions of surprise, as if death had come for them with alarming speed. The longer Rui looked around, the more limbless figures he noticed. Eventually, the smell of burning flesh reached them, yet they did not react with disgust. Their emotions were so overpowering that they suppressed that reflex. The green-haired one remained focused, but the minds of his companions were filled only with emptiness and terror. The man looked at Daichi clutching his leg and Hiro, who slowly turned toward him. His eyes were filled with helplessness and panic, which even affected him. The boy in the leather jacket clenched his jaw.
He looked ahead and noticed a man in uniform approaching their position. The curly-haired boy turned to see what Rui was staring at. He glanced at the approaching figure, having no illusions. If they didn't do something, they would die. He looked back at the mother's body, she had a gun at her waist. He looked at Orine. The distraught girl remained in the same position. The green-haired one stood in front of her, staring at the approaching figure.
- Who are you? - the man yelled, in a low and commanding tone.
Silence. The stranger wore a green and red uniform and night vision goggles, scanning the group, checking for weapons. Daichi averted his gaze, stopping his hand. Always talkative and eloquent, he couldn't seem to find any words now, as if resigned to death.
- Thank God, you're alive - he said with relief. - Come with me.
Hiro felt a momentary calm, the soldier didn't seem hostile. Perhaps he had been sent here to bring the survivors to a gathering place.
- What the hell happened here? - the boy in the jacket shouted in frustration.
- I'll tell you everything on the way, for now, we need to move. We don't know if this place is safe.

The low young man crouched by the woman's body, instinct told him they couldn't trust that guy, but his gut feeling was wrong. Another person in a blue-green uniform appeared behind the soldier and plunged a knife into the man's neck. Hiro didn't know what had happened, the unknown figure seemed to come out of nowhere. But there was no time for deeper thinking, he knew they'd soon be in the crosshairs of whoever was behind the dead soldier.
- This can't be real... Orine...
Time seemed to slow down for the boy. In his mind, he saw images of the dance and promises, shared moments with the girl, the goofing off and days spent in school with Rui and Daichi. Faced with the danger to his loved ones, his uncertainty turned into determination.
- We won't die here.
He reached for his gun before the enemy could draw theirs. Luckily the safety was off, he firmly pulled the charging handle, aimed at the stranger, pulled the trigger, shot.
The bullet hit the heart. He pulled the trigger again, the bullet hit the left shoulder. The opponent fell to the ground, dropping their weapon. Silence fell once more.
The boy snapped out of it, looked at his friends, then at the two bodies. His hand began to tremble, he immediately dropped the gun.
- What have I... what have I done? - he grabbed his head with his right hand, digging his nails into his scalp.
- ... - Rui couldn't say anything.
A grimace of sorrow and helplessness crossed his face. He felt like he did on the island. Once again, he allowed someone else to protect him.
- Hi... Hiro... - the chairman said with a dead voice, his left eye started to twitch.

Orine's aura still illuminated the surroundings. Rui, the only one who hadn't lost his senses, knew that staying in the same place was asking for trouble. Without a word, he lifted the girl onto his arms.
- We're getting the hell out of here - he declared, glancing at the four-eyed and then at the dark-haired guy. - Don't stand there like idiots, you want to catch a bullet?! - he yelled, his voice filled with terror.
Hiro and Daichi remained in the same position. The frustrated boy yelled again. He knew he could bring more trouble upon them, but he realized that if he didn't do something, they'd all die anyway.
- Orine took care of us all this time, now we have to get her out of here. Move your fucking asses.
The two crushed men looked at each other, still feeling the terror of the events that had just unfolded. They couldn't respond, they couldn't move, they were like soulless bodies. The chairman's empty gaze and Hiro's terrified expression filled Rui with a sense of hopelessness, but he refused to succumb to it. Earlier, Naomi, now Hiro. He had been saved twice. It was time to take matters into his own hands and save others.
- I'm getting out of here - he said bitterly. - You said you'd save Koharu - he addressed the chairman. - You said you'd bring Ichika and Eito home - he said to the curly-haired one. - Have you completely forgotten why we came here? Have you completely forgotten about Takeru's sacrifice? About the director's life? You want to die now and leave your loved ones at the mercy of fate? Move your asses, damn it.

The memory of family hit the men. Daichi looked at Orine, trembling in Rui's arms. He remembered carrying Koharu to the hospital rooftop when she wanted to see the falling snow. Hiro let his hand drop. He thought about the sight of his devastated sister, screaming in helplessness, about his own despair when his older brother disappeared, about the desperation when Takeru protected him.
The green-haired one moved forward. The two boys stood still for a moment, but they felt they couldn't stand idly by, even if they felt terrible. Their mission was more important, they couldn't give in to weakness, they had to move, had to suppress their inner terror, for everyone who believed in them. Hiro and Daichi followed the man.
- Finally, man - he said with relief. - Let's go - he added shortly.
The trio picked up the pace.
- Let's hide behind this building - the green-haired one said, staring at the large oval structure.
Big fragments of the construction laid by the building, which could serve as a hiding spot for them. The men crouched down, going deeper into the spot, hiding in the fallen pieces of the structure. It was time to plan the next move.
- Alright, we should be good here - Rui said, his voice strained.

Suddenly, in the distance, they heard the sound of approaching vehicles. The men had nowhere to run. The entire field they were on was filled with concrete and the same white oval-shaped buildings. They couldn't spot any doors to take shelter inside any of them. They waited, hoping no one would find them.
The sound of engines died down.
They could only hear the pounding of their hearts, beating rapidly. They couldn't move, their breaths were long and heavy. With fear, they waited for what would happen next.
- This is our chance - the green-haired one whispered, knowing that if they didn't leave this place soon, they'd be found. - Daichi, check your right, Hiro, check your left.
Both nodded in agreement. The short guy left the hiding spot and peeked around the building, not noticing anything out of the ordinary. The chairman went out to check the right side, however he didn't spot anyone. Both returned to their temporary shelter.
- Clear - said Hiro.
- Clear - repeated Daichi.
- Okay, we're going left, be quiet - the green-haired one said firmly.
Both options were good, but instinct told him, the left side would be safer.
The unease grew.
Everyone turned their gaze to the left. The man with curly hair moved first, followed slowly by Rui. Daichi, still crouched, followed behind the energetic guy, already getting up when he heard the sound of a gun cocking. Surprised, he froze, unsure of what to do.

- Don't move.
A stern, masculine tone echoed from behind the glasses-wearing man.
Hiro and Rui swiftly turned towards the chairman. They saw a tall soldier, wearing night vision goggles, aiming a Glock at the back of their friend's head. The unfamiliar man with brown hair, slightly surpassing the shoulder line, reached for his belt, pulled out a digital mobile radio, and pressed the button.
- PT3, 10-20 - he said shortly.
Kszzz... Kszzz... Kszzz... Tschk...
- 10-23 - came the distorted reply.
- "Hah, at least this one doesn't want to shoot us right away" - he thought to himself, observing the stranger. A sense of finality filled his mind. He felt that this adventure could end sooner than they thought.
- Status.
- 10-80.
- 10-4, 10-48.
- 10-3.
Tschk...
The caller disconnected.
- So, what are you doing here? - he asked, in a calm tone.
Despite the composed voice, the man's words carried an unknown fear.
- We... - Rui attempted to answer, knowing he would be the only one able to speak.
- Silence - the soldier interrupted abruptly, showing no interest in the green-haired boy. - The elegant will answer - he lightly pushed the chairman's head with his pistol.
Daichi tried to gather his thoughts. The shock was so great that he couldn't respond to the stranger. He had just convinced himself to act, but now he faced the spectre of death once again.
- Cat got your tongue? And you seem like an intellectual - he commented sarcastically on the chairman's silence. - Ugh, why did I have to get stuck with this, I hate paperwork - he added, snorting ironically. - By the way, what do you have in that box? You haven't let it go - intrigued by the boy's behaviour, the man wanted to know the contents of the box.
He wasn't afraid it would be a weapon. He knew the elegant one wouldn't be able to attack him, and even if he dared to make such a move, pulling the trigger was much faster than retrieving a weapon from a locked box.

The sound of vehicles reverberated through the area once again. Behind the man, two military cars parked, from which 14 people emerged. The brown-eyed man holstered his pistol.
- Light - urged the stranger.
The night vision goggles provided the uniformed men with good visibility, but the leader wanted to look at them without the aid of the device. Six soldiers took out flashlights, illuminating the entire group. They were strong enough to momentarily blind Hiro and Rui, observing the situation.
- "He's likely their top dog, wonder what's got him all intrigued... Maybe he's just a sadist?" - thought the green-haired guy, looking at the soldiers. He intensely pondered how to get out of this situation, but his mind was blank, resignedly, he held Orine even tighter.
The commander removed the night vision goggles to get a better look at the intruders. The youngsters saw the face of a man around 30 years old, his brown eyes emanated sharpness. A short mustache and beard adorned his face. The long-haired man scanned them as if searching for something.
- Turn around - he ordered the four-eyed.
Daichi slowly turned towards the man. He scanned him from head to toe. One detail caught his attention. A silver flower-shaped brooch. The man's expression suddenly changed, he became serious. He looked deeply into Daichi's eyes, then turned to his subordinates.
- We're going to Miyazaki - said the brown-eyed man.
- Is Colonel sure about this? - replied one of the gathered.
- There's no other choice, it's the General's order - he replied, spreading his hands in resignation. The turn of events didn't sit well with him, as evidenced by a slight grimace.
- It's just one transport unit, and it's not even full. We were just supposed to check...
- You don't need to tell me that - he interrupted, knowing that in this situation, the journey to the main base could be dangerous. - Like I said, it's the General's order, tie them up and put them in the back, make sure they don't do anything stupid - he added, pointing to the newcomers and the vehicles.
- Yes, sir! - replied one of the soldiers loudly.

The soldiers without flashlights approached to take the youths. Hiro and Daichi allowed themselves to be escorted without questioning, but when one of the soldiers tried to take Orine from Rui's hands, he turned around, glaring at him with hatred.
- You, with the temper - the commander addressed Rui. - Yes, you, I saw how your look, these two are scared, and you would jump at my throat if you could. I like people with fervour - he announced, smiling crookedly.
- You can tie us up, but I won't give you the girl.
- Ugh, another knight in shining armor - the colonel retorted, rubbing his forehead, he didn't like when people tried to force heroism.
- What should we do? - asked the soldier standing opposite the boy in the leather jacket.
- Do as he wishes, maybe even let him hold her on his lap... actually, that's better, less chance they'll try to escape... Just tie up the girl, he won't do anything anyway.
- Yes, sir.
The man took out a piece of thick rope and bound Orine's hands. Everyone was escorted to the vehicles. The colonel looked at the escorted individuals, shaking his head.
- The report will get even longer, but at least I'll submit it personally, although I didn't plan a trip to Miyazaki... The worst part is that it's not even my assignment, I'll have to deal with it again... - he said resignedly to himself. - By the way, why didn't they hide inside, there are doors just around the corner... It's too dark here, even night vision bearley works.

The colonel slowly approached the car on its right side. He sat in the back facing the four newcomers. The vehicles started moving. Rui, sitting in the middle, glared at the long-haired one. The commander looked at the intruders with pity, which greatly angered the spirited boy. The long-haired one didn't want to listen to his soldiers' report now, at this moment, he was much more interested in the group of youths in front of him. After half an hour of silence, the older man spoke up.
- We still have over two hours ahead of us. Let's lighten the mood a bit - he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a pack of cigarettes. - Want one? - he extended his hand towards the boy in the leather jacket.
The boy didn't respond, only looked deeply into his eyes.
- Better for you, smoking kills - he sarcastically snorted, as he liked to smoke.
The colonel took out one cigarette from the pack and then put it in his mouth. He began patting his pockets as if searching for something.
- Did I forget my lighter? - he said reluctantly.
He looked at the soldier sitting to his left.
- Can you give me a light? - he asked, waving the cigarette.
The man took out a lighter from his pocket. The commander leaned slightly towards the soldier.
- Thanks - he said, tilting his head back, releasing smoke. - Oh, right, I didn't introduce myself, a bit rude of me - he added, taking the cigarette out of his mouth. - Nakamura Haruki, colonel of Kagoshima Prefecture.

The commander's introduction didn't loosen the tongues of any of the friends. Haruki wondered how he could encourage them to converse.
- We saw two bodies. To my eye, the one in blue killed one of ours, but someone else killed the enemy - he glanced briefly at those gathered before him. - He used Nambu... an old pistol. The shooter was lucky it didn't jam. In my opinion, it's one of the worst choices for semi-automatic pistols, but that's not what I wanted to ask... Which one of you killed him?
Hiro, upon hearing Nakamura's words, flinched slightly. He was still traumatized by his action, even though he acted in self-defence, the fact that he took someone's life terrified him. The youth raised his gaze, eyes full of guilt and fear, looked at the long-haired one.
- So it was you - he said, lowering his tone. The cheerfulness vanished, giving way to seriousness. - What's your name?
- Hiro.
- How old are you?
- Twenty.
- "Twenty years old, and the boy has already killed another person... with such a beginning, he'll become a notorious killer in no time" - thought Haruki, looking at the devastated face of the youth.
- I understand your sorrow, but the sense of guilt won't undo the deed - he announced, taking a drag of his cigarette.
- I killed a man... - he kept repeating the sentence in his head, this time saying it out loud, the looping thought was putting pressure on his psyche.
- I'll ask you a question, you'll understand as soon as you answer it - he replied, leaning towards the youth, resting his elbows on his knees. - Why did you pull the trigger? - he asked, piercing him with a stern gaze.
- I wanted to protect my friends - he replied clumsily. Stress caused him to bite his lower lip.
- Everyone would draw a weapon in the face of danger to their loved ones, you're not an exception - Haruki retorted, still staring at the man, urging him not to look away.
- I know, but I can't, I just can't move on. I know it was a reasonable decision, I know I acted rightly, but I can't come to terms with it... - he said with a trembling voice, thinking he might not withstand the pressure soon. - I can't come to terms with taking someone's life.
- It's hard for you, but if I'm to be honest, it won't be your last kill - he stated, knowing that hearing such news would terrify the young man. He didn't want to scare him, but he believed that the sooner he faced reality, the greater the chance he'd cope with his actions.
- What? - he looked deeply into the colonel's brown eyes. His gaze carried the truth, he wasn't lying... The youth's breath was shallow, he felt tingling in his hands and face.
- We're in the midst of a civil war - he said firmly.

Everyone fell silent. War, the source of trauma, misfortune... losses and despair. After the idyll on Miyagi Island, where they spent most of their time training and relaxing together, they had to face conflict. None of them were prepared for such a turn of events. Now, as they no longer had to think about quietly slipping away from the battlefield and adrenaline began to subside, they felt foolish. Their hopes, goals, now seemed so distant and impossible. They realized they had underestimated the danger. The moments of peace they spent during preparations now seemed so far away. The overwhelming truth hit the men, leaving them shattered.
- "War?" - the chairman repeated in his thoughts. - "So that's why... that rapier..." - he added, looking at the wooden box. He asked himself - "Is it possible that father knew?" - he couldn't make a definitive statement. - "Maybe he realized something was wrong... maybe he predicted it?" - he tried to approach the subject rationally, but the chaos caused by shock prevented him from deducing.
- "Two different uniforms, soldiers droppin' left and right in front of us, the port's as black as midnight... something hasn't been right here from the beginning" - thought the green-haired one, glancing at the front windshield of the vehicle.
- "Mouse fighting a gorilla? More like children casting stones at warships" - the short boy commented on his previous statement about the journey in his thoughts.
- I'm an idiot, I thought everything would be fine... this optimism has doomed me... We've barely arrived here, and I've already killed. Why was I blind? The incident at school showed how dangerous this land is, and me? I thought it would be fine, I thought we would just spend some time in Kyushu, and then move on... I believed it could be okay... What bubble did I live in this past week? We all believed it could go smoothly... Hah, I was supposed to realize that anything is possible? I definitely wasn't prepared to pull the trigger so quickly... - he lamented, echoing the doctor's words, tears started to well up in his eyes.
- "He needs to let it out, otherwise this burden will drive him to madness" - commented the colonel in his thoughts, allowing the youth to continue.
He had seen such cases many times, people losing their minds after witnessing the horrors of war, many of them took their own lives, others never managed to recover mentally. He didn't want the same fate to befall the short boy. Even though they were unknown intruders, the colonel couldn't stand the suffering of the innocent. As soon as he saw them, he knew they were here by accident.
- I promised Orine that we would find her parents, I promised to save Ichika, to bring back Eito. I promised... I promised that everything would be fine - a single tear rolled down his cheek. - I can't give up now, but... why was I so sure of myself, why didn't I think more broadly, why did I just assume that everything would work out with help...

Similar questions arose in the minds of Daichi and Rui. The main one was, why? Why did they overlook the worst-case scenarios?
In reality, they didn't want to think about them. They couldn't entertain the idea of failure. Since their loved ones were at stake, they didn't consider the possibility of failure, they were convinced they would manage. Their self-assurance, combined with the illusion of security created by Suguna, completely blinded their judgment.
- When... all of this begin? - Hiro asked, lightly shaking his head.
- Two weeks ago.
- What happened?
- A coup. The former president fell victim to his own army. However, they disagreed on how to govern, so we have a civil war on our hands. We belong to the revolutionary army, our opponents call themselves the Marshal's Legion. I think you can figure out how to distinguish us.
- What will happen to us? - he took a deep breath and, having cooled down, asked. Speaking his thoughts aloud helped him calm down.
- Most likely, you will be conscripted into the army, especially you, Hiro. The first shot fired straight into the heart, and the second into the shoulder, either you have talent or extraordinary luck... Moreover, your innocence cannot be proven. You appeared out of nowhere, two bodies, and that emblem.
- Emblem? - the short boy looked at his flannel shirt, staring at the floral pin.
- That flower... I don't know why, but the General ordered to bring in anyone wearing such jewellery... specifically a moonflower one, as quickly as possible - he replied, straightening up.

The general's order wasn't a secret, but it was issued relatively recently, and the Third Transport Platoon (PT3) hadn't been informed by the colonel about the new provisions.
- Ain't no sunshine ahead, just more drama on the horizon - commented the green-haired one with a smile full of irony.
- Most likely, you'll receive an offer you can't refuse - he said, taking a drag of his cigarette, looking at the car's roof. - By the way, what about the girl? - he asked, intrigued, looking at the frightened blue-eyed one.
- You're blind or what? She's terrified - he replied, full of irritation.
- Something's not right here... show her to me - he said, turning his gaze towards the distraught man.
- You want me to show her off to you? You're a creep - he retorted angrily at the command. He had no intention of allowing contact with a stranger.
- Her condition isn't normal - he said calmly, his voice full of empathy.
- I can peep that on my own, thanks - retorted shortly, seeing no point in Nakamura's argument.
- Shut up and show her to me, or she'll end up locked in a cell. Do you think the General will leave her alone because she's been through trauma? - he replied sharply. He wasn't in the mood to listen to Rui's further objections.
The girl's behaviour reminded the colonel of an incident from his past.
- What do you intend to do? - he asked, surprised by the commander's persistence.
- A friend of mine once taught me a certain trick, surprisingly, it quickly helps with anxiety states - he replied gently, looking into the man's green eyes.
- A friend? Where is he now?
- He's dead.
- ... - the spirited boy didn't respond. He didn't expect such an answer.
- Release them - the commander announced.
One of the soldiers stood up and freed their hands. Rui didn't know why he did it, but for Haruki, it was a rational decision. He realized they were no different from civilians they protect every day, so there was no point in keeping them imprisoned. Moreover, he didn't want the blonde to wake up to the view of her bounded hands as the first experience after the distress.

The spirited boy couldn't guess what was wrong with the girl, but if there was even a slight chance that he could alleviate her suffering, he wanted to try, even if it meant extending a helping hand from an army officer. He still didn't fully trust him, but he decided to give Nakamura a chance.
- "No one will be pitying the terrified girl, she was at the scene of the murder, damn it" - he thought, turning his gaze to Hiro.
- I'll place my hand on her forehead, nowhere else will I touch her - assured Haruki, raising his right hand.
- Just make it quick - he glanced sideways at the long-haired one.
The colonel placed his hand on the girl's forehead, focused on her face, red traces of tears streaked across her cheeks.
- "Just like back then..." - he looked carefully at the blonde's face. - "I miss that idiot."

Orine felt an electrifying sensation. She stopped trembling, stood up disoriented, and began to look around, turning herself she saw Rui's shocked expression.
- You decided to make a move on me? - she asked, raising an eyebrow.
- You gone cray-cray? - replied the green-haired one, irritated by the comment.
As Orine regained her composure, Hiro enveloped her in a tight embrace. Still disoriented, she instinctively lifted her hands, eventually resting them gently on his back. No one interrupted the peaceful moment, shared between the two friends. For Hiro, the sight of Orine in good health brought a wave of relief, dispelling his previous sadness. Knowing that everyone emerged unscathed from the ordeal, further lifted his spirits.
The girl closed her eyes and hugged Hiro even tighter, resting her head against his.
- It's okay now, I'm fine - she announced gently, knowing how emotional the boy was.
- I... - he wanted to return to his feelings of guilt, but the blonde interrupted him.
- It's okay now, without all of you, it would have been over for me... Thank you.
The young man sighed slowly, returning to his place.
Daichi, watching this scene, loosened his tie, seeing the girl cheered him up. He leaned back and looked up.
- "Pull yourself together, we can't show weakness to the general" - he said to himself.
The image of the cheerful girl calmed his nerves. The chairman grabbed his head, then closed his eyes.
- "This is not the end, we have a chance" - he added with a pleased voice.
- Yo, lovebirds, are ya done? - the man in the jacket remarked mockingly, raising the right corner of his mouth.
- Want a hug too? - she replied with a smile, tilting her head towards the boy sitting on whose lap she was.
- Nah, I will pass.

The girl lowered her head and looked at the colonel, but she didn't expect that it wasn't the end of the conversation with the spirited individual.
- Good to see you in better shape - he commented, tousling her hair.
- You seem to be in good spirits too.
- This is a breath of fresh air, ain't it?
- Ahem - Haruki cleared his throat. - I'm glad the young lady woke up - he announced with a smile, taking another drag of smoke.
- Can someone explain to me what we're doing here? - she asked, disoriented.
- Wait... You don't remember anything? - Rui asked, puzzled.
- I don't have amnesia, I remember we were on some large concrete platform, but I can't recall what exactly happened next, though I vaguely remember someone shooting so I figured you all took care of me while I was unconscious... Strangely, I don't feel any anxiety - she said, looking tenderly at Hiro.
That was the enigmatic charm of the technique the colonel had once learned. It alleviated profound distress from individuals, leaving them remarkably content. Unfortunately, the friend who taught him the trick passed away before revealing its secrets. Even after trying it on many others, it only seemed to work on a handful.
- Orine, I killed a man - he confessed in one breath, not wanting to hide his deed.
- Your boyfriend killed an enemy soldier who was about to shoot you both - stated colonel with evident approval in his voice.
The girl wanted to comfort her friend, but before she could say anything, the short boy spoke up first.
- I've already gone through it, even said out loud what I feel, seeing you healthy, I have no doubts anymore - he replied with a smile.

Upon hearing his response, she was surprised. His guilt seemed to dissipate instantly, just from seeing her whole and healthy. It worried her, as it indicated significant emotional instability in the man. She didn't know what to say to him. Opting for a change of subject, she didn't want to bring him down again.
- The port in Kagoshima is quite strange - she said to the colonel.
- Kagoshima Port? You must be mistaken, you didn't end up at Kagoshima's main port.
- How so? - she asked, puzzled.
- The place where we found you is an oil and gas refinery.
- That witch... and I was just starting to like her - she commented on Nakamura's explanation.
She was convinced that everything had gone as her aunt had promised. For the first time in many years, she allowed herself to entertain the thought that she might have misjudged her, but the new fact quickly reinstated her negative attitude. She thought Hiro's incident was a random occurrence that couldn't be prevented. Yet, still being under the influence of the colonel's spell, she couldn't entirely comprehend the gravity of his actions,
- You don't have to be angry at your carrier - the long-haired man said. - If you had arrived at Kagoshima Port, you would have ended up as fish food without a question... after all, no civilian would approach an area occupied by the army in a private submarine, especially not someone wealthy... Ahhh - he sighed heavily. - Where are my manners... Colonel Nakamura Haruki - he added, bowing slightly.
- Orine - she replied, returning his bow. - So, are you saying it was the best decision?
- I think it was the most sensible one if you were sailing from Okinawa - he replied with a smile, convinced he was right. His face took on a charismatic expression.

The men felt a shiver at the colonel's words. They hadn't expected him to figure them out so quickly. The blonde wasn't surprised by the commander's deduction.
- "If he figured us out so quickly, it means this point must have been the least guarded or the easiest to enter. As for the mean of transportation, it's obvious that since we came from afar, we used the safest option... but how does he know we're from Okinawa?" - she thought, looking with interest at the long-haired man.
- You're probably wondering how I know... The answer is simple, I don't - he said.
- What? - Rui replied, eyebrows furrowed in surprise.
- There's something different, something foreign about you. I decided to throw out the most absurd answer and see your reaction - he looked at the chairman, suggesting he had revealed the truth.
- Why absurd? - the short boy asked.
- Only lunatics would sail here from Okinawa - he replied, crossing his arms. - Okinawa is paradise compared to the mainland. Why are you here? - he sobered up again. Despite deducing their mode of transport and starting point, he couldn't understand why anyone would want to leave a peaceful island for the mainland.
- None of your business - Rui replied, unwilling to confide their travel motives to the colonel.
- "Judging by his reaction, I'm betting it's something to do with family... close family... it's still madness, they lack experience, training, who sent them here?" - Haruki thought. He decided that a much better idea would be to quickly prepare them for a conversation with the general.
- Anyway, we have some time left, so I'll tell you how to behave in front of our commander - the man said, extinguishing his cigarette on the seat and pocketing it.
- Definitely not like that - the green-haired one commented on Nakamura's behaviour.
- Your humour is back - he replied with a smile. - In that case, I can start. Firstly, look only at him, preferably straight into his eyes. Don't look around, or he'll think you're up to something. Secondly, under no circumstances comment on his statements, don't interject, he's not as nice as I am. Thirdly, agree to everything he says if you want to survive, he's not the kind of person who would compromise with people like you.
- Why is the Colonel helping us? - the chairman asked suspiciously, not understanding his intentions.
- The Colonel can be stern, but he has a soft heart - the soldier to his right replied.
- I just don't want anything to happen to these kids - he said, trying to end the discussion about himself.
He didn't like it when others praised him, he tried to perform tasks as best as he could while retaining his humanity. He didn't want to become a gruff commander with an ego the size of Saturn.
- Haha, he's our favourite, I'd give my life for the colonel - the uniformed man said, smiling broadly.
The whole group laughed, and a moment later, the soldiers joined in.
- You guys are impossible - he commented, trying to hold back his laughter, but eventually joining in the merry circle.
They spent the remaining time in silence, waiting to reach Miyazaki.