Chapter 8 - Hiro's secret

Orine and Hiro arrived at Takumi's workshop. The property was enclosed by a steel fence, well-lit, leaving little room for shadows. There were three buildings on it: a two-story house with a black roof and a red balcony, in front of which stood a workshop organized in a large garage. There was also a building resembling a medium-sized warehouse situated between the workshop and the house. In its yard, there were ten vehicles - six cars, two delivery vans, one motorcycle, and a scooter.

The friends stood in front of the gate, and the girl rang the doorbell located next to the gate. After less than three minutes since their arrival, a mechanic's figure emerged from the garage. He was dressed in blue work uniform and approached the gate. The 38-year-old man had black, combed back hair. His brown eyes appeared slightly tired, likely due to a sleepless night. He had a light, three-day stubble on his face. The mechanic was clearly pleased to see the visitors.

- Hiro, how are you holding up? Did your car break down again? - he asked, with a cheerful tone as he opened the gate.
The man lived alone in the house. Due to his busy schedule, he didn't have much time for casual socializing. Most of his brief interactions revolved around business. Unexpected meetings always delighted the mechanic, who was an incredibly talkative person.
- Not this time. Our machine is still holding up - replied the young man, who seemed to have a close relationship with the man.
- "Oh shit, I didn't think of that. Mr. Takumi doesn't know about Hiro's amnesia. If I don't do something, he'll ask about his parents soon" - thought Orine, realizing that the mechanic might inadvertently hurt Hiro. - We came to see you because we're going on a trip soon - the girl announced, wanting to take control of the conversation. She didn't want it to inadvertently shift to the topic of family. - "Takumi knows Satoru and Akari well. Ichika has told me many times about her father's meetings with the mechanic. They were apparently very good friends" - she added in her mind, her top priority being to inform the man about Hiro's situation while maintaining complete discretion.
- You can tell me everything, but first, come inside. We won't talk through the gate. Please, come in - said Takumi, waving his hand, signaling to the guests to enter.
- Ojama-shimasu (I apologize for intruding) - replied the young man, entering the familiar property.
- I hope we're not disturbing you too much at work - said the girl, following the young man.
- Not at all, you're coming at the perfect time - said the mechanic, locking the gate. - I've received about ten calls from my clients. They said that they don't know when they'll pick up their cars because they're afraid to leave their homes. They're waiting for things to quiet down. Who would have thought something like this will happen... - he added, scratching his back.
- Actually, on our way here, we only encountered one elderly lady walking her dog. It's a small island, but usually, there are a few people on the streets - replied the green-eyed man, stopping.
- Can't blame them. Two hospital security guards were murdered, a patient was kidnapped, schools are closed, and old Takeru's shop is closed - he replied, leading the two acquaintances. - Come to the workshop, I don't want to go into the house, I'm all dirty - he added, putting his hands in his pockets.

Takumi approached the building's door. Orine and Hiro entered first, and the mechanic followed, closing the door behind them. Besides the door to the workshop, you could also access it through two garage doors that were opened with a remote control. The workshop housed three lifts, on the right side, there were four workshop shelves. Hanging from above was tire inflation equipment, and the tires themselves were placed against the wall opposite the entrance. To the left of the second lift was a wheel straightening machine. Next to it was a cluttered table covered in old newspapers, coffee cups, and car magazines. The workshop would seem well-organized if it weren't for the presence of six service trolleys scattered throughout the room. Inside the building, there were four workbenches with overhead structures, two on the right side and two on the left. The room was not lacking in social furniture either. Six personal lockers were placed near the door. As they looked around, the young adults noticed that four cars were parked inside, one of which was on a lift.
- Make yourselves comfortable, I'll bring some chairs in a moment - the mechanic announced, heading to the left upper corner of the building.
- It's not necessary, we can stand - Orine replied modestly.
- Don't be silly. You walked here, sit down - Takumi said, placing two wooden chairs next to the table.
- I'm feeling drained today, thanks - the young man replied, sighing. The emotional rollercoaster and confessions had worn him out.