Chapter 13 - Preceptor

The journey proceeded without complications. The new soldiers rode in the same vehicle as the colonel, but unlike Nakamura, Hitoshi didn't attempt to engage the newcomers in any conversation. He sat across from Rui, occasionally observing the young men. No one could guess what he was thinking. A thick atmosphere filled the car, and silence added notes of uncertainty. Hiro was relieved, he was able to find the teacher, but the longer they drove, the more he felt the terror associated with the assignment. He had read manga or books about assassins before, but he never imagined he would be in a similar situation. By nature, he was a kind and sensitive boy. The thought of taking others' lives filled him with deep fear. Despite trying to convince his own conscience that he was doing it for Eito and Ichika, he still couldn't come to terms with it. He constantly saw the image of a falling soldier, whose life slipped away in a fraction of a second. His mind led him to the darkest corners, what if one day he commits a similar act to the stranger with a katana who took his sister away. He didn't know how to cope, he felt that his psyche was barely holding on, but he decided to be strong, he didn't want others to start worrying about him. Everyone who arrived on the mainland has their own problems and matters to attend to. Hiro returned to the mindset that urged him to hide the most painful emotions within himself, so that no one would notice them. For the curly-haired boy, it was a way of dealing with problems that he had been using since childhood.

Meanwhile, Daichi tried to devise a plan that would allow them to have a private conversation.
- "First off, Hiro will get off. Miyazaki and the Ichifusa mountain are about a hundred kilometers apart. I noticed a sign with 'Saito' written on it, so we've already covered about thirty... He'll be escorted by a soldier, they most likely won't allow us to say goodbye. The colonel doesn't seem like the kind of person who would permit such situations... I have a notepad in my pocket, I could write a message, but I'm afraid it'll be confiscated immediately... I need a diversion" - the chairman looked at Rui sitting to his right.
- "No, that's a bad idea. He's already facing punishment for insubordination, and additional complications will only worsen his situation" - he added, turning his gaze away.
-" Yo, what's with his gaze? This Colonel dude is just like Daichi, all rigid and you can't even read his mind. Seemed like he was about to spill some beans, then suddenly clammed up" - remarked the energetic one, slumping slightly in his seat.
- "Orine is acting strangely... I don't want to expose her, especially since she recently had a breakdown."

Elegant was in a fix. He felt like this journey was a test of his cunning, reminding him of Suguna. The chairman's gaze settled on the windshield of the vehicle. The streetlights illuminated the road, the dark night enveloped the horizon. He stared at the endless road, as if searching for answers, inspiration, anything that would help him devise a plan. While lost in thought, two soldiers sitting in the front interrupted the silence.
- Did you hear they blew up the refinery? - the uniformed man sitting by the window asked.
- Don't even get me started. Good thing Colonel Nakamura's unit went there - the other replied, waving his hand dismissively.
- Who would've thought the Marshal's tentacles would reach so far into our territory? What are those Kagoshima idiots doing?
- Don't ask me, but I guess it's not surprising. It used to be the safest place until now. Now, try to get some shut-eye knowing some blue can blow you up.
- Yeah, let's not talk about it - he said, crossing his arms.
- We still have some time. Did you bring the cards?
- I got 'em in my pocket. Blackjack?
- Bet.
The man took the pack out of his pants pocket. Taped up and nearly stripped of colors, it looked like it would fall apart any second. He clumsily shuffled the deck and dealt two cards to his companion, both of clubs. The dealer placed two cards, one face up, a ten of hearts, and the other face down on his knee. He tilted the card slightly to check for a blackjack but quickly let it go.
- Alright, hit me - the player said firmly.
The dealer dealt a card to the soldier, who saw a jack of hearts.
- No luck with these cards, sixteen, pass - he resigned. He knew his chances of winning were slim.
The dealer smiled and revealed an ace of hearts.
- Blackjack - he said with a smirk.
- Fuck, I knew it - annoyed, he lightly punched his knee. - You even checked for blackjack, forgot how to play?
- I couldn't stop myself. I wanted to see your face - he chuckled joyfully, taking his cards.
- Ah, forget it. I had sixteen anyway, no luck with cards or love.
- You didn't hook up with that blonde from the other day?
- Don't even remind me. She said I must be losing it and guys like me don't interest her.
- Don't you think you should change your approach? Starting a conversation with 'nice legs' is a shot in the foot, if you ask me.
- Look who's talking, Mr. Know-It-All, when you don't even have a girl and you talk like an expert.
- I'm not even looking, don't need the hassle of some hag nagging all the time. I have enough of the constant lieutenant complains.
- Maybe you're, you know... homo? - he barely held back laughter.
- Wanna have my fist on your face? - he asked, embarrassed, shaking his head.
- Okay, okay, ease up. Life's like gambling, sometimes you gotta take a risk and bet on one hand. I'm for example, in the mood for a quickie hehe.
- You better shut up or the Colonel's gonna smack you with punishment and that'll be the end of your chatter.
- Alright, alright... let's keep playing.
The chairman involuntarily overheard the conversation between the two men, though he seemed absent. He squinted slightly, as if something had occurred to him. Again, his mind showed him an image of Suguna, this time thinking about their dance together.
- "Yes" - he widened his eyes.