•24•

Joon-yeong suddenly started shaking. Wu-jin looked over his shoulder at the sudden movement. Joon-yeong's hand was covered in blood, and that's when everyone realized that he had been bit.

~~~ 24 ~~~

Wu-jin's face filled with fear.

Joon-yeong didn't look scared. Instead, he told us, "Hey. I know you guys can kill me when I turn, so please let my last moments be happy memories." Tears fell from his eyes.

Mi-jin was about to run up to him, but I grabbed her arm and shook my head. She tried to shake me off and started crying as well.

Hyo, who was on the other side of Joon-yeong, hugged him.

He looked relieved, and hugged her back.

Wu-jin pulled Joon-yeong off of Hyo-ryung.

While all of this was happening, I was still trying to figure out why some people turn and some people don't. After all, someone must have been the first halfbie.

So, why? And why did Dae-su turn after being bitten by a halfbie if Nam-ra and Gwi-nam were both bitten by halfbies?

I had a feeling there was more depth to it, so I paid attention to Joon-yeong.

Hyo was still upset from Dae-su's death and her own best friend leaving her alone. Her face was filled with tears.

Nam-ra walked up behind Joon-yeong. "When he turns, I'll kill him," she promised us.

I was still firmly holding onto Mi-jin's arm, trying not to cut her with my knife as she thrashed around.

Mi-jin fell to the ground, and I hugged her in an attempt to get her to calm down.

She screamed in frustration.

Ha-ri looked over to see what the commotion was about.

"Mi-jin!" she scolded. "You'll lure the zombies over, quiet!"

Then, Ha-ri realized what was going on and rejoined the group.

She kneeled down to Mi-jin. I stood up, trusting Ha-ri.

"Joon-yeong... When did you get bit?" I asked him.

Wu-jin looked down. "He saved me."

"I thought I saved you both... I'm so sorry... I wasn't fast enough..." I said.

"No, it's not your fault. You did all you could. It was actually after you left.." Joon-yeong replied.

Ha-ri looked up. "Why didn't you say anything, brother?!"

Wu-jin sighed. "I'm sorry.."

I looked around and realized that Min-jae was no longer within sight.

"Min-jae!!" I yelled.

Ha-ri looked around as well.

"Fuck!" I yelled. "Gwi-nam, come on! Nam-ra, please keep watch here!"