35 - 36

35. "My wife is amazing!"

When they returned to the village, it was still early afternoon, a good time for the women in the village to gather and chat gossip.

The Lin family at the entrance of the village was usually the gathering place for people to chat, as they lived there and most people passed by their house when they go in and out. They were the first to know any fresh news, and Aunt Lin herself was a chatterbox. Over time, everyone grew fond of gathering there for a chat.

When Cheng Yun and his group left in the morning, it was still early and not many people saw them heading to town. However, when they returned, they made quite a spectacle. The four of them were pulling a cart loaded with goods. As soon as they entered the village, those gathered at Aunt Lin's house saw them.

Five or six women were momentarily stunned, their hands stopped their work. The lively chatter that was happening just moments ago suddenly died down, and all eyes turned towards them.

Cheng Yun had heard about this group of women. Aunt Wang had warned him earlier to avoid them and take a different route if he saw them, so as not to become their topic of gossip. Otherwise, within a day, the entire village would know what he had been up to, and most of it would be false.

He glanced at them and noticed Yang Hongjin's stepmother, Lin Fengjiao, among the crowd. His steps faltered for a moment.

Since Lin Fengjiao had seen them, apart from the initial surprise, she had been staring at them all along, afraid that they would disappear if she blinked. Naturally, she also noticed Cheng Yun and their brief eye contact.

Even though she was just a stepmother, she held the nominal position of Yang Hongjin's mother. Since they had been spotted, and Yang Hongjin was oblivious, Cheng Yun couldn't just ignore it.

He asked Wang Liang and Cheng Bao'er to take the things back home while he held Yang Hongjin's hand and walked forward.

"Mother, ladies, good afternoon," Cheng Yun greeted with a gentle smile, appearing approachable. He was dressed better than the villagers, clean and neat, resembling a well-to-do family in town. His demeanor was graceful and dignified, which made the ignorant village women feel a sense of unease and envy.

Lin Fengjiao frowned, instinctively feeling that Cheng Yun was putting on airs for her. However, when she glanced at the others who were intimidated by his pretentious appearance, she inexplicably felt a sense of superiority.

She straightened her posture, made a slight "Hmm" sound, and seeing the idiot and the barren Ge'er holding hands in front of others, she found an outlet for her frustration. She furrowed her brow and said, "Playing around and holding hands in public, how disgraceful!"

Cheng Yun had no interest in dealing with her, but he also didn't want to give others something to gossip about. He could only maintain a composed demeanor and smiled, saying, "You're aware of Hongjin's condition. He can't be separated from me right now. I'm afraid I might lose him if we let go of each other even outside."

After speaking, he even pretended to bow halfway to the other women and said, "Please forgive any offense."

These women, who were usually talkative, couldn't utter a word when faced with someone taller than themselves. However, in recent days, there had been rumors circulating in the village about the skills and connections of Cheng's family, particularly their interactions with the Yueqiong Tower in town. The rumors had even been confirmed by Doctor Liu, so now Cheng Yun was seen as a "superior person" in their eyes.

Normally, they would gossip about others in private, but seeing Cheng Yun in this state, they had no reason to doubt the previous rumors. Even though Cheng Yun was respectful, they didn't dare say a word. They pushed and shoved each other until the lady of the house, Aunt Lin, was pushed forward and said, "It's none of our business."